SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
cappy58
cappy58 is on a distinguished road

Default EGR or solenoid?

I have a 94 sl2 that stumbles from a stop on acceleration. I replaced both thermal sensors and the O2 sensor. When i unplug the vacuum hose to the EGR and plug the hose, the stumbling goes away and it accelerates very smoothly. So I am thinking the EGR is OK as it closes without the vacuum hose attached. Could the fault be the solenoid that regulates the vacume to the EGR?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cappy58's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cappy58 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cappy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1
Default Re: EGR or solenoid?

Are you using copper (preferably NGK) plugs? And have you replaced the spark plug wires?

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy58 View Post
...When i unplug the vacuum hose to the EGR and plug the hose, the stumbling goes away and it accelerates very smoothly. So I am thinking the EGR is OK as it closes without the vacuum hose attached. Could the fault be the solenoid that regulates the vacume to the EGR?
Yep! When you replace the egr solenoid, clean the egr valve too.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

if it was the EGR solenoid it more than likely will throw code 32 i would try to pull out the egr and see how dirty it is before i bought a solenoid like 40$ from rock auto and i think my local kragens wanted like 80$! i went to a junkyard and pulled one and it ended up being good and it was free to boot

mine went out and would throw a code on the freeway it was staying closed all the time anywhere above 45mph i would see that damn SES come on until i went back to idle

you can also put a hand held vacuum pump "you know those cheap plastic ones" and put the hose on the egr and see if the diaphragm moves that should indicate if your egr is good or not

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the Board.

Light throttle engine stumble on a vacuum operated EGR is a blocked EGR vacuum bleed. The only fix is to replace the EGR valve. The vacuum bleed prevents the EGR from opening to fast. When it gets plugged up (it is internal and I know no way of unplugging it) the EGR opens to quickly and the engine stumbles due to to much EGR flow.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

are there any ill effects of just blocking the egr off?.. ive heard of alot of people doing this on various cars

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
wrchism
wrchism is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SC2'in View Post
are there any ill effects of just blocking the egr off?..
I ran my '94 SL1 for years with a golf tee in the EGR hose . . . passed Colorado emissions tests with no problems. With no EGR . . combustion temps will be hotter, it will produce more NOX pollution, and it may tend to knock more (mine didn't). I'm told that you actually get slightly more hydrocarbon pollution with EGR, but that the environmentalists think NOX is a more serious problem. So . . in my opinion . . no . . there's not much negative consequence to either blocking off the EGR or pulling and plugging the hose (which does the same thing by leaving the EGR always closed)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrchism's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrchism reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrchism is offline   Reply With Quote