SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
jjsk8r85
Advanced Member
jjsk8r85 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
Default The EGR solenoid.

So I've had this problem for.....well, since i've owned my 92 SC, and it's been bugging me.

Whenever I connect the egr system as it's supposed to be, the car hesitates horribly during acceleration, up to about 3500 rpm. Disconnected, the car runs great. I've replaced the EGR valve, solenoid, and it's related vacuum lines. Yesterday, I went out with an analog multimeter and did some testing on the plug. For some reason, anytime the throttle is open any more than about 3%, the ECM is commanding the egr valve open (0 ohms to ground). At Idle, I'm not quite getting an open circuit to ground, as I should be. It sits right around ~10k ohms. Is this normal? As I understand, the egr valve solenoid is controlled by engine temp and speed. What else could be causing this?

I do get EGR and Quad driver codes when the system is disconnected, but no codes if it's connected properly.

92 SC 5-speed 239k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjsk8r85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjsk8r85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jjsk8r85 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: The EGR solenoid.

During idle when the engine is at its lowest rpm you have to ask yourself, does the engine need exhaust gas recirculation feeding exhaust into the fresh air intake system? The answer is no and the EGR valve is not used during idle speed. Wouldn't this dilute the air/fuel mixture enough to cause a leaner condition that can result in lowering the rpm, misfiring, stalling? Yes. With a vacuum EGR valve on a cold engine running, put your fingers under the round vacuum diaphragm cover to reach under it and pull the diaphragm; the engine will immediately stall as you are lifting the pintle valve from its seat allowing exhaust gas into the fresh air intake manifold. The EGR valve is always closed at idle and opens during acceleration and cruise. Closed during idle and closed during wide open throttle.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

Once more ;
The EGR solenoid only energizes at cold operating temps.
This function only blocks off the flow through the valve .
once operating temp. is reached (threshold) ,the valve has no current to it , allowing full flow to occurr ,from ported vacuum .
At idle there is NO ported vacuum ,to control .
Above idle ,there is varible amounts of vacuum ,depending on throttle position

The older cars used this to apply advance to the distributor spark timing advance. (ported vacuum )

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
jjsk8r85
Advanced Member

1992 SC

So then, what I've gathered is that the EGR system is functioning properly, and something else is causing the problem, and it only happens to occur when the EGR system is connected properly. I get misfires up to about 3000rpm when the system is connected properly.

92 SC 5-speed 239k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jjsk8r85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

My guess (idea) theory ect;
The fuel maps (ratios) the P C M has developed ,was without the E G R .
So now that it is working ,the maps are all wrong ,and need to be re-learned.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
jjsk8r85
Advanced Member

1992 SC

I've tried resetting the ECM also, sorry should have mentioned that before. I reset it when I put the new solenoid in.

92 SC 5-speed 239k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!