SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2020, 01:45 AM   #1
sedativechunk
sedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura about

Sad RIP, finally had to junk my SL2 last month

Hey Saturn Fans,
I been a member of this board for several years. Last month, I made the very difficult decision to junk my beautiful, custom 98 SL2. It make it to around 145k miles in the rust belt. The primary reason was, it had no brakes anymore. One day, pedal went to the floor. Threw hundreds of dollars + time at the problem replacing calipers, master cylinders, ABS, tried bypassing it with a non-ABS unit. Brakes never worked again. Additionally, it needed new e-brake cables, the frame was starting to rust badly near the trailing arms, and it's had a leaking head gasket for a couple years that I could never get to quite stop correctly (think the head might have warped).

Just the dollars were adding up, and in my state, you have to keep insurance on cars even if you're not driving them. And I got a new, fancy job last year in IT. Decided to sell my old cars, junk the Saturn, and buy a nice, newer 2017 Honda Civic EXT couple. It's an awesome car, and handles/runs very similar to my SL2. (actually it's got way more pep, turbo charged with dual exhaust).

The excitement of the new car is starting to wear off. Tonight, I found myself reminiscing of the Saturn. That car lasted me a good 8 years. Went to college, my first relationship as an adult I drove my ex-gf around in it. I customized the crap out of it, painted it, put LED lights in the dash. Just a great, fun car to work on.

Just wanted to share with others. Enjoy your Saturn's while they last! And be safe, watch for problems like my S-series had with the brakes. These cars sadly don't last forever, and I drove the thing to it's grave pretty much. Never thought I would junk mine, but that day finally came. I also noticed upon trying to repair mine, the parts are getting more and more scarce. A lot of things on rock-auto for mine where final warehouse sale deals. Some stuff, you can't get anymore, and/or you'll pay out the rear end for it. So yeah. It's sad. I sometimes I wonder if museums will ever start taking in Saturns. Maybe some non-driven, hidden garage finds. It'd certainly feel weird seeing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links