SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General

Old 08-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
jf7fsu
jf7fsu is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Back up camera for 2007

For those with factory NAV, this item is supposed to add a back up camera to your factory unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170141241554
Outlook XR Cocoa/Black, Touring Pkg, Leather, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg, Molded Mudguards, Sidesteps, Remote Start, Hood Deflector, GMPP
jf7fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Ed Suski
Ed Suski is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Back up camera for 2007

Has anyone tried this? The 2007 radio firmware does not come with a rear view camera option to enable this feature. What do you have to upgrade the firmware to?

Ed
Ed Suski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Suski View Post
Has anyone tried this? The 2007 radio firmware does not come with a rear view camera option to enable this feature. What do you have to upgrade the firmware to?

Ed
I don't understand the need for a backup camera on this vehicle when you have the ultrasonic backup assist. Hell, you can't see what's behind you in most CARS, but I don't see people clamoring for backup cameras on their Impalas and Pontiacs. The ultrasonic works great. I back my Outlook to a concrete wall in the parking garage where I work using nothing but the ultrasonic. Same goes for backing out of parking spaces at a mall. The ultrasonic even went off when someone suddenly walked behind my Outlook.

I have zero need for the camera.
2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Ed Suski
Ed Suski is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you would agree that "more of a view" is better than less when it comes to backing up. The sonic system will not see Razor's, Bikes, pets or even small children sitting on the ground drawing with chalk. Of course it will see a cement wall or other such obstruction, but you have to admit that the view while backing is very limited. Especially if the kids are watching a DVD.
Ed Suski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
pepsikid
pepsikid is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
I don't understand the need for a backup camera on this vehicle when you have the ultrasonic backup assist. Hell, you can't see what's behind you in most CARS, but I don't see people clamoring for backup cameras on their Impalas and Pontiacs. The ultrasonic works great. I back my Outlook to a concrete wall in the parking garage where I work using nothing but the ultrasonic. Same goes for backing out of parking spaces at a mall. The ultrasonic even went off when someone suddenly walked behind my Outlook.

I have zero need for the camera.
Wow! Strong words from ThePlainsman. I love this car but by not including a back-up camera (or even the option) on the 2007 was a HUGE mistake by GM.

I have two little kids and if they come in real quick behind me on a trike and/or a skateboard i KNOW the back-up camera would be the best thing to have. The assist works alright, but I'm sure a back-up camera would be the safest.

It seems like I hear 2-3 stories a month of a family relative backing into a small child, I can't think of anything worse. Having a camera I'm sure would prevent many of these accidents.

That being said, always walking behind the car before you drive away, and using good common sense will always be the safest route.
2007 Outlook XR FWD
Red Jewel Tint Coat/Tan Leather
Conv. Pkg. /Enhanced Conv. Pkg
Touring/Trailering/HID
Sunroof(s), Nav w/ CD/DVD Player
pepsikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

I have at least one incident where a back-up camera would have been useful. I was at a stop light where there was a right turn lane. Realizing I need to be in that lane, I decided to back up and turn into that lane. I looked behind me to see if there was a car there, seeing none I put it in reverse and began backing up. Just before the backup sensor starts to beep, I hear a frantic car horn. Apparently a little Mazda Miata (those things are so damn small) was sitting behind me - close enough that I could not see it through the rear glass or side view mirrors (not even the headlights). The backup camera would have displayed the vehicle for me. It might not be a bad accessory to have.

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote