saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 12-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
eclipsor
eclipsor is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Back-up Camera

Hey everyone,

so I a few months ago I installed a double DIN touch screen with navi and whatnot in my 1997 SL2. Now I want to install a back up camera and hook it up to it.

So I got one of the back up cameras that are pre attached to a license plate frame and I plugged the long yellow AV cable it came with to the back of my double DIN radio which plugs into the camera as well obviously, but theres still the other wire I need to some how connect to the reverse.

My questions are, if anyone can help,

1) how do I connect the camera to the actual reverse wiring? I don't need to do any kind of by passing as I only need it on when actually reversing. Not sure how to find the wire though and how to actually connect them

2) the receiver I have also had the wire plug in's in the back for reverse/back up. I don't need to plug anything into those right? cause those are only for if you want to have the camera on always?

Thank you so much!

I tried searching for someone who has done this to their gen 2 SL but couldn't find anything :/
eclipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Back-up Camera

Just a guess but if the reverse signal is 12v, splice into one of the reverse light wires running to the rear reverse lights. Power to turn on reverse lights is sent only when selecting reverse shift so power from the reverse light wire should supply what's needed to turn on the rear view camera. Check your instructions for the reverse camera.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
eclipsor
eclipsor is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Just a guess but if the reverse signal is 12v, splice into one of the reverse light wires running to the rear reverse lights. Power to turn on reverse lights is sent only when selecting reverse shift so power from the reverse light wire should supply what's needed to turn on the rear view camera. Check your instructions for the reverse camera.
Thanks for your response! so just literally look for the reverse light wires? which ones would i connect to which? just + to + and whatnot? (I'm a noob to electricity, I had to barely teach myself in order to install the radio)
eclipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Don't think there's anything in the cabin to tap into other than the actual reverse light wires, but in the engine bay you're looking for either of the spliced connectors (pic is from a 5spd swap and the plugged in sensor is the reverse light sensor on the 5spds); the wire colors may change but they stay in the same position on the 6pin connector.
http://www.impact3d.com/manual_swap_...wiring_mod.jpg
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote