saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 03:52 PM   #1
y2chuck
Advanced Member
y2chuck is on a distinguished road

Default a new SC2??

I have car fever. I am a car-aholic. My SL has 1 year left on the lease and I really want to get a new one. My choices are narrowed to an Orange 02 SC2, 2003 Tiburon GT or a used 2001 Mustang Convertable. They are all around 23K CDN which is the most I want to spend.
I crossed off all the other cars on the list (IE MB C230) because the wife and I want to buy a house within the next couple years and I want a Corvette down the road as my dream car.
25K CDN is the max I wanna spend and those 3 cars are the 3 I love the most.
Anyway, I owe $2976 more in lease payments (248 CDN/month for the next year) and the buyout is $5000 for a total of $8976 owing on the car.
The KBB value is about 4500 US (which is about 20 million CDN, well, ok, $7425 CDN).
I don't mind losing a bit on a trade but my question is, would I probably get a better deal going back to my dealer to get outta the lease early? I don't really know all the ins/outs of leasing, but I would rather get a lot of opinions here first before going to the my dealer, Hyundai and Ford to ask them about it.
I'm a pretty smart guy (I think) but as soon as I walk into a showroom, my eyes pop wide open and the salesguy could sell me a bag of flaming dog-poo for 25K. I just love the whole new car experience and it clouds my ability to think clearly!!
Thanks for any advice....
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2002, 04:03 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Most leases leave you on the hook for the remaining payments, even if you turn the car in. When I went to get rid of my Miata 30 months into a 36 month test-drive, I had to find a new leasee or eat the payments. Luckily, I found someone who wanted it and all ends well. Getting rid of a Miata here in sunny Florida is likely easier than getting rid of a sedan in Antarctica though...

You may get the dealer to work with you a bit, but not much, on new SC - but don't hold your breath. Hold out for if you can or get ready to take a beating.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy

i'd get the orange 02 sc2 myself. it's a known quantity and the retailers are excellent. i wouldn't get a convertible mustang. if i got a mustang it would have to be a fixed roof. if i got a convertible i'd get a miata since they were designed that way. the new tiburon looks cool and they have a long warranty but who knows. i looked under the hood of the v6 gt tiburon -- they hide the engine under a plastic shroud. makes me wonder what service will be like with a transverse v6 in the nose. back to the saturn. hit each car on the door with a baseball bat and see which one still looks good afterwards. pick that one.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 05-08-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
y2chuck
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eRic 96sc2
i wouldn't get a convertible mustang. if i got a mustang it would have to be a fixed roof.
Yeah, it's 3rd on the list. I think I like the IDEA of having a convertible more than actually having one. I like the look of the Mustang coupe better than the convertible, but I've always wanted a convertable tho.
A friend of mine had a Miata convertible and the roof was slashed twice on him. He lives in a rich area in suburban Toronto too.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Idea

SC2 are always a nice car, but you still have a year on the lease and new S-series will no longer be available by that time. (Thanks ION Q-Coupe)

Depends on how you personally 'attached' to '02 SC2, you may get a nice Pre-owned one by waiting on your lease to finish first. Never terminal the lease early as the cost for beating is too high to justify to get another new car.....
Old 05-08-2002, 05:45 PM   #6
FireMate
FireMate is on a distinguished road

When does your lease end exactly? When the ION comes out, you could get the quad-coupe in any of it's funky colours (including a slight variation on the orange) in the new year... if your lease ends before that, you can have GMAC extend your lease after you put in an order until it arrives (I'm a sales consultant in Whitby, btw, so this all applies to Canadian stuff). Then, you'll have a car that's in the price range you want (estimated), a great amount of power for the size of car, and some innovative features (personally, even though my professional storm chasing days are over, I still love the idea of speed-sensing wipers that are on the ION).

Some food for thought I suppose....

FireMate
Old 05-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
y2chuck
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FireMate
When does your lease end exactly? When the ION comes out, you could get the quad-coupe in any of it's funky colours (including a slight variation on the orange) in the new year
The Lease expiration date is July 1, 03. I like the styling of the current SC way better than the ION coupe. I like the interior of the ION way better than the current SC.
The extra power is fine, but the car weighs 300KG more or something like that so the power to weight ratio is probably the same.
My dealer has been really great to me (wife and I have both bought Saturns from them) so they would probably help out with this. Plus, I would like to get a new car sooner because after we buy a house, we plan on starting a family right away and then I'll never get a new car!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #8
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you want a sporty vehicle. I would not recommend the Saturn, because it's a Saturn. In my experience, their engineering and customer dedication has declined in recent years. The Mustang is good; but my question for you is will it be safe for winter driving with its RWD in Toronto? You can get some wicked ice/snow/sleet. You may want to consider a set of winter rims and dedicated snow tires like Blizzaks or Alpins. Therefore I recommend the 2003 Tiburon. Great looks, state of the art manufacturing, reasonable purchase price, FWD for winter.
Good luck!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:54 PM   #9
Cretin_V6
Cretin_V6 is on a distinguished road

I'd get the Mustang for sure!

I loooooooove mine. I've owned 2 SC2's before and I'll never go back to that. In fact, I don't think I'll pay another Saturn again.

My Mustang has a much smoother ride.

-Amy
Old 05-08-2002, 07:14 PM   #10
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbird
Sounds like you want a sporty vehicle. I would not recommend the Saturn, because it's a Saturn. In my experience, their engineering and customer dedication has declined in recent years. The Mustang is good; but my question for you is will it be safe for winter driving with its RWD in Toronto? You can get some wicked ice/snow/sleet. You may want to consider a set of winter rims and dedicated snow tires like Blizzaks or Alpins. Therefore I recommend the 2003 Tiburon. Great looks, state of the art manufacturing, reasonable purchase price, FWD for winter.
Good luck!
Driving a RWD car in the winter is not all that bad, you just have to know how to drive it.

Well, If it's a V6 manual Mustang, I'd get that over a Saturn in a minute, only thing is the NON existant back seat. I could NOT fit behind there at all when I was looking at it for my next car (OoOh so very nice..). I don't think it would be a safety problem, but I would not park it in the bad AREAS of town.

Second, i would get the SC2, it's quick, nimble, and fun to drive, add reliability to that and you've got a perfect car.

Last would be the Tib GT. It's not really all that fast as it should be with that engine, and I believe it weighs a lot. Also, it's a Hyundai, so the reasle value might not be that high. It has great looks though, Hyundai is really getting it's act together.

There's my opinion, and we all know I'm always right, so DO AS I SAY!! No, I'm just joking, we all know that statement is completely untrue......

My List:

1. Ford Mustang Conv.
2. Saturn SC2 (love the color)

3. Hyundai Tibouron GT
Current Vehicles:
2003 Acura 3.2CL
2000 Saturn SL1
Old 05-08-2002, 07:21 PM   #11
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

Devil

Mustangs are fine to rent and rip it up. to own one is another thing entirely. The mustang is, well how do I put gently---garbage
Old 05-08-2002, 07:59 PM   #12
Cretin_V6

Quote:
Originally posted by WHITE98SL2
Mustangs are fine to rent and rip it up. to own one is another thing entirely. The mustang is, well how do I put gently---garbage
Old 05-08-2002, 08:05 PM   #13
y2chuck
Advanced Member

Quote:
I test drove a 2001 last year and loved it. Sure it's not the most practical of the bunch, but I'm not really looking for versatility and practical.
My insurance will go up about $600/year with the Stang and only $150 with the SC2 so that may be the deciding factor.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:09 PM   #14
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

I don't see what's so "unpractical" about them. They're not like Ferrari's or anything, they're "supposed" to be able to seat 4. Gas Mileage isn't all that bad. Just maybe because they have some kick to them??
Current Vehicles:
2003 Acura 3.2CL
2000 Saturn SL1
Old 05-08-2002, 08:09 PM   #15
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

Happy

no offense intended, Mustangs in my view haven't been the real deal since the gas crises of the early 70's
Old 05-08-2002, 08:19 PM   #16
Cretin_V6

Quote:
no offense intended, Mustangs in my view haven't been the real deal since the gas crises of the early 70's
None taken. I'm just being a smartie pants. The 'stang has changed me. I no longer have "The Saturn Bitterness".

The bitterness me
Old 05-09-2002, 03:32 AM   #17
Plastic Gravity

If youre trying to buy a house, forget about the car for awhile. You'll be able to swing the car a lot easier after the house is handled. Once the lease is up on your SL get a used G1 SC/SC2--hey, they are significantly faster than the current SC2's and the ION, better looking, handle better, and probably pretty cheap to pick up by now.

When the house is settled, then go looking for a used C230Kompressor!

Mustangs are a good cars, and the resale is better than a Saturn. Downsides are the cramped interior, and they really are a handfull in the snow, no joke. My sister has owned 2 of them. At least the C230's rear drive is tempered by traction control and ESP stability control.

Yeah, the current SC2 is a good choice too, just doesn't perform up the level that the good looks promise...and then there's that Kmart interior.

The Tiburon is such a tough choice...it looks great, and the interior seems to a step up from the Saturn, but reportedly the car has a very unfinished feel, and questionable build quality. Biggest drawback with the Tiburon has nothing to do with the car itself, its all in the Name.

Hyundai, Hyundai, Hyundai.

If you can say it without giggling, or worse, your friends giggling, you should probably take a test drive.

Old 05-09-2002, 09:13 AM   #18
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

the 70's? ick. the 80's were even worse. thank opec and japan for giving the big three a kick in the butt to make some decent cars in the 90's.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 05-09-2002, 09:34 AM   #19
y2chuck
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
If youre trying to buy a house, forget about the car for awhile. You'll be able to swing the car a lot easier after the house is handled. Once the lease is up on your SL get a used G1 SC/SC2--hey, they are significantly faster than the current SC2's and the ION, better looking, handle better, and probably pretty cheap to pick up by now.
we're planning on buying a house in 2-3- years so that's really why I want to get the car now. Once we have a lot of money saved up, I won't want to use any of it for a car, plus that would make me wait 3-4 more years for a car which I think I would die if I had to do!! We'll have my wife's SL2 paid off by next year so only having 1 car lease will be helpful in saving cash.
I'm apprehensive on getting an older used car. My first was an 87 Firefly I bought in 92. It was my first car (I was 18 and stoopid) and it was a piece of crap. 2 weeks after I got it, the engine blew because the dealer didn't have ANY oil in it when I drove it off the lot. THen 2 months later the brakes went, then the master cylindar, then the wiper motor etc.....
I doubt that would happen again but it left a bad taste in my mouth buying a used car. Every other car I've bought since then has been new or one year old.
I'm not terribly worried about the lack of power in the 02 SC since I'm satisfied with the way my SL performs for the price.
The Mustang, well, I love the look and feel, but I think I love the image of having one more than having to put up with leaky convertable roofs, slashed roof by dumbass', the completely useless trunk opening, horrid winter performance (w/o snow tires)and $600 more insurance per year.
The Hi and Die is exactly that. A Hyundai. Although the previous Tib's were supposed to be fairly good, the name is the only thing really keeping it from the top of my list.
I'll prolly just troll some lots next week and see what's hanging around in a 1 year old "something coupy and sporty" Then I just have to find out the least painful way outta the lease!!
Old 05-09-2002, 10:53 AM   #20
Jeff P
Jeff P is on a distinguished road

What about a regular RSX or Celica GT? Both of those cars have decent engines, and are nicely put together and handle great. Both superior in most was to the SC. Or how about an SVT Focus? Civic Si? Sentra SE-R? Lots of choices out there for what appears to be your price range and desires.

jeff
Closed Thread