SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
Default Is the Check Engine Soon light set to intervals?

Car (1996 SW2 ... purchased new) just approaching 150,000 miles. Check Engine Soon light just came on. Coincidence or scheduled to come on near an important service internal ?

Removed the gas cap and re tightened it. Haven't started it since, though, as I don't drive too much these days with a lot of things being closed.

Which fuse is the one I can pull to clear it and see if it comes back?

Will this clear the computer? If so, how far do I need to drive to have it "relearn" things?

Thanks

P.S. I know I could go to the FLAPS and have codes read (and it could be any number of things so I don't expect anyone to have ESP and diagnose over the internet lol) but am just trying to get an idea of whether its a "reminder" or a "warning".
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Is the Check Engine Soon light set to intervals?

Quote:
Car (1996 SW2 ... purchased new) just approaching 150,000 miles. Check Engine Soon light just came on. Coincidence or scheduled to come on near an important service internal?
Neither coincidence nor scheduled.

If you never had the check engine light on, be glad this is the your first. With 150k trouble free miles (presumed), a well worn engine/emission system eventually turns on the engine light. It can be as simple as a loose gas cap (evap system check), dirty/worn egr valve, worn out O2 sensor or any other emissions related issue. Second guessing doesn't work when a reader will display stored error code(s). All emissions related issues turn on the engine light and decoded by virtually any generic reader.

If your pcm has one fuse, pull it for 30 seconds the put it back. If two fuses, pull them both for 30 seconds. Battery negative disconnect does the same except radio presets are lost when main power is disconnected.

Just beware, hard error(s) will come back to turn on the engine light and a reader is needed to decode it/them. Call Autozone or Advance Auto if they still offer free readings during this pandemic. If yes, wear a mask and if you're handed the reader, wear disposable gloves to minimize transferring germs since Covid-19 is invisible. If you have sanitizer, use it after handling a reader. Even grabbing door handles can transfer this contagion.

Every time the engine is started, emissions self tests are run and continues while driving and doesn't end until the engine is shut down. Emissions are monitored when the engine's running so any error is automatically flagged, stored in memory and turns on the check engine light.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

UPDATE:

fdryer,

I went to AutoZone for the free OBD-II diagnostic check.

Error codes read:
P0133 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0133 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

Don't know why Bank 1, Sensor 1 came up twice. May as well replace both sensors (there ARE 2 , aren't there?) at the same time?.

Yeah..can't complain at all. Car has been good to me all these years, not exhibiting too many problems.

Thanks

P.S. Funny thing is ... the engine runs more smoothly, since the light came on, than it has in a long while (although it's never run rough except when it needed a replacement engine mount).
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

If it were me, I would clear the codes, and drive like normal.
The code may return, or it may remain clear for a long while.
It is not a panic code to spend $ unless it returns and you start to worry.
In all my cars & trucks, I have yet to replace any O2 sensor ever.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sensor 1 is the upstream (of the catcon) one. Sensor 2 is the downstream (after the catcon) one. P0133 is pointing to the upstream O2 sensor, the one right off the exhaust manifold. As toggenburg suggested, you can try resetting the pcm, erasing the error code and see if the error code comes back. in between emissions inspection, you have the luxury of time to experiment. If the error comes back, replace the O2 sensor. Leave the rear one as is. Both sensors are probably seized from years of heat cycling and normal corrosion, letting these sensors create the equivalent of mechanical loctite from corrosion.

If you have to replace the O2 sensor, let the engine warm up a little then try some PB blaster to help loosen the seized sensor. You might need to borrow a O2 sensor socket unless there's enough room for an open end wrench or adjustable wrench to loosen it.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The P0133 sensor is by the manifold as others said. You do have a prayer of changing that one if required.

The other sensor is likely impossible to change unless you get a new exhaust. That has been my two-car experience. Don't bother with that one unless your state emissions mandate it.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Front O2 should not be a problem. I live in the Rustbelt and had no issues in my Saturn's. OP lives in AZ so rear might not be bad either.

pcm-b is the fuse you want to pull in the uhjb to clear code. P CM will set back to default values which is fine. Same values the car had when it was new off the lot

If you need it for emissions inspection, search for "gm drive cycle". It has been posted several times.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote