SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
pacificsun
pacificsun is on a distinguished road

Default Vue fuel gauge

Driving home last night and noticed my fuel gauge was down below "E" so I stopped and filled up and the gauge still reads "E".... is this the float on the sending unit?
When I turn the key on I notice that the needle jumps like it wants to display but then it goes back to the bottom...
pacificsun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Vue fuel gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificsun View Post
Driving home last night and noticed my fuel gauge was down below "E" so I stopped and filled up and the gauge still reads "E".... is this the float on the sending unit?
When I turn the key on I notice that the needle jumps like it wants to display but then it goes back to the bottom...
You don't mention year but I suppose the fuel quantity systems for 02-07 are going to be similar.

You can find diagrams for 04-07 Vues in post #5 of following thread:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=156383

You'll note primary and secondary fuel pumps and senders are present in fuel tank. Weird but necessary because all Vue tanks are constructed to saddle the propeller-shaft (not used on FWD).

I've heard of one or two members using a few doses of Chevron Techron fuel additive to "fix" the fuel quantity system. Sounds far fetched but might be worth a few dollars to find out.

Repost if you like other wiring information or instructions to replace the sensors.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
pacificsun

Thanks far2grumpy....... It's an 02 Saturn Vue. I have some Seafoam.... do you think that would work?
Dave
Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificsun View Post
Thanks far2grumpy....... It's an 02 Saturn Vue. I have some Seafoam.... do you think that would work?
Dave
Dave ... I'm starting to feel like a snake-oil salesman.

I've never used Techron or Seafoam - ever - but note one Chevron ad claiming Techron Concentrate Plus has a chemical that cleans and protects gas gauge sensors.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...tives/tcp.aspx

To be fair - I also looked at several Seaform pages and didn't see anything about helping with sensor problems.

You may need to experiment ... and I hope one or the other leads to positive results. Anything to avoid dropping the darn tank.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
gaurdien
gaurdien will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I had the same issues with my 02 gauge and found using a bottle of Chevron techron on back to back to back fill ups has helped take care of the issue.
Good things are happening..........., somewhere.
gaurdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
jrad
jrad is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

i'll be the snake oil sales men and say YES on the seaform, that is pretty much the ONLY additive i've found over the years that actually does something.

and the deep creep spray is great for keeping your TB clean.

change where you are getting gas and keep a can of seaform in it every 3 tanks.
2006 Vue Redline Laser Blue
1994 Camaro z28 Green Metalic
jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
pacificsun

Happy Re: Vue fuel gauge

Thanks to all!!!
My gauge came back after a 100 mile trip and a full can of Seafoam...

Thanks again

Dave.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Paddyboy
Paddyboy has a spectacular aura aboutPaddyboy has a spectacular aura about

My 02 Vue fuel gauge stopped working. I used Chevron Techron & the fuel guage has been working for about 6 weeks now. Thanks for the cheap quick fix.
Paddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Hmm have to try that, used gumout regane on mine as it seems to be plauged by bad mileage which helped a little then it went right back, although i have to add that gauge can be inaccurate at times....
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

My '04 V6 FWD started going crazy today. It's been reading pretty normally since I ran two tanks with the Chevron Techron back to back last month. The gauge was at 1/4 tank, filled up, started it and the gauge went to below E with the light on! A couple of restarts momentarily solved it. It's still reading below E with a full tank. Should I try another bottle of the Techron or 2?
Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
My '04 V6 FWD started going crazy today. It's been reading pretty normally since I ran two tanks with the Chevron Techron back to back last month. The gauge was at 1/4 tank, filled up, started it and the gauge went to below E with the light on! A couple of restarts momentarily solved it. It's still reading below E with a full tank. Should I try another bottle of the Techron or 2?
Hmm had that happen. I dont know if the sending unit likes that techron or not as mine read 3/4s of ta tank when i first filled up after adding it. Id say run a tank through ~200 mi and then fill up. See if diluting things out clears things up.
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup66 View Post
Hmm had that happen. I dont know if the sending unit likes that techron or not as mine read 3/4s of ta tank when i first filled up after adding it. Id say run a tank through ~200 mi and then fill up. See if diluting things out clears things up.
I ran two consecutive tanks with Techron last month, and it seemed to help with the miss-reading.

The gauge, strangely, has been working fine since that day, but I still added one more bottle. We'll see how it goes from here.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Back in 2004 and 2007 Shell had a problem with the sulfur content being too high causing the fuel tank signal units to malfunction.

I had it happen on my SC, had to push it into a gas station. I refilled with gas and it started working again the next day.

Supposedly the silver in the sending unit reacts with the sulfur in the gas damaging the units. Ag + S = AgS Silver Sulfide is a dense black solid that gums up the operation of the sending unit.

Possibly something in the seafoam, or Techron dissolves the Silver Sulfide.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
tphill5999
tphill5999 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Back in 2004 and 2007 Shell had a problem with the sulfur content being too high causing the fuel tank signal units to malfunction.

I had it happen on my SC, had to push it into a gas station. I refilled with gas and it started working again the next day.

Supposedly the silver in the sending unit reacts with the sulfur in the gas damaging the units. Ag + S = AgS Silver Sulfide is a dense black solid that gums up the operation of the sending unit.

Possibly something in the seafoam, or Techron dissolves the Silver Sulfide.
A buildup of the sulpher can affacted the sensors on a sending unit.

Techron Concentrate Plus

http://www.dooilco.com/pdf/Additives/Techron.pdf
tphill5999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

I was one of the original poster about the Techron cure. I've had to do this three times, but not at all in the past 5 years. The Saturn dealer was dropping fuel tanks and replacing sending units. I told the service manager about the simple fix and he almost couldn't believe it. Mine has always worked within 10 miles of driving each time. Techron concentrate is supposed to be the best fuel injection cleaner that pours into a fuel tank. I heard the sulphur issue was widespread and included Sunoco.
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivernut View Post
I was one of the original poster about the Techron cure. I've had to do this three times, but not at all in the past 5 years. The Saturn dealer was dropping fuel tanks and replacing sending units. I told the service manager about the simple fix and he almost couldn't believe it. Mine has always worked within 10 miles of driving each time. Techron concentrate is supposed to be the best fuel injection cleaner that pours into a fuel tank. I heard the sulphur issue was widespread and included Sunoco.
I ran another bottle of the Techron concentrate in my '04, and the problem hasn't come back so far...

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Rut Dog
Rut Dog is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Up Sea Foam Worked Great!

Snake oil works!

I'm so glad I came across this thread. My 03 V6 Vue (original owner) started having problems with the fuel gauge a few years ago at about 70k miles, but the problem was moot as it simply never indicated fuel above 3/4, but always was accurate as it dropped below 3/4.

Then a few days ago (108k) it got stuck on E. Thanks to you guys I went to the corner Bimart to see if they had Sea Foam or Techron. They had both, and Sea Foam was a few bucks cheaper, so I bought two cans and added one immediately.

100 miles down the road and the fuel gauge was back in action. Not only that, but when I refilled the tank, it went almost all he way to F, stoping at 7/8 or maybe 15/16 but I'm not complaining. I added the second can of Sea Foam to that tank, and maybe it will loosen it up for the final push to F and above.

Anyways, I'm sure glad I didn't have to deal with replacing the sender or whatever else may have been involved. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Last edited by Rut Dog; 07-23-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Rut Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
pjrobbins
pjrobbins is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

The Techtron fix did work for me and lasted about 6 months. It is time to do this again.
pjrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #19
AJEsquire
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

All of those answere sound great. Except....how do you get the RL started? I'm stuck right now! Filled it up...it ran...parked it for work...got back in...fuel gauge is below e and the car won't start so I am stuck.
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #20
AJEsquire
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Update.....was driving...car shut off! Fuel gauge went back down to E! In the middle of the road.....so I am guessing I have a different problem than you.....
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote