SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1998 SL2
Default Wrecked Saturns

Hello all,
I always like to see how our little cars hold up in accidents, and have been interested in seeing different accidents and damage ever since my rollover. These cars surprise me with how safe they are, and I wanted to start a thread for wrecked S-Series displaying that safety.
Here's the first one:
https://www.copart.com/lot/22933849
It looks like it held up pretty well, aside from the roof being removed (jaws of life?) But the front zone seemed to crumple well, and the door went outwards instead of into the driver compartment.
1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Wrecked Saturns

lol. These are not safe cars, especially by today's standards.

Ignore "crumpling" and focus on whether the cabin structure had been compromised or if the impact caused the firewall/frame to intrude into the foot wells.

At any rate, if you really wanted to protect the ones you loved, you wouldn't be carting them around in a turd.
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
lol. These are not safe cars, especially by today's standards.

Ignore "crumpling" and focus on whether the cabin structure had been compromised or if the impact caused the firewall/frame to intrude into the foot wells.

At any rate, if you really wanted to protect the ones you loved, you wouldn't be carting them around in a turd.
Agreed, I get kinda nervous driving my turd when the weather gets really dicey. No side air bags, no abs, just my wits, snow tires and some luck.

That said they are structurally sound. Safe enough for me yes.

But if I had to cart my kids around, it wouldn't be in a 20 year old Saturn, lol.
My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

It's been years since these vehicles were crash-tested, but I recall them getting 3 or 4 stars out of 5 in different tests by the Federal Gov't. Also observed rollover frequency was much lower than average for its years -- a crash type that's considered one of the worst you can have.

The link below has several crash test pictures and some ratings on the Test Details tab.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...l-4-door-sedan

My 1997 SW2 has ABS, although advances in that area, vehicle stability control and side impact airbags means that newer cars have an edge -- although I wouldn't portray it as an unsafe design.

For you rustbelters, I'd worry more about subframe/monocoque shell integrity, since corrosion in front & rear members and sills compromise the safety cage design.

Last edited by hholbein; 01-30-2019 at 08:55 PM.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

I let my Saturn go in favor of a solid, safer Volvo sedan. We sold my wife's '06 Nissan Sentra and opted for a safer Kia Soul.

That said, I still own some unsafe cars. Geo trackers are really bad. My Mercedes was cutting edge in 1987, but probably only very marginally safer than the Saturn for the driver mostly due to weight and a heavy frame.

That CoPart car you posted is not something I would have wanted to be in. If you could duplicate the crash that caused that but in a modern Volvo or really any 2015 or newer car, it would look much better.
MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #6
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
I let my Saturn go in favor of a solid, safer Volvo sedan. We sold my wife's '06 Nissan Sentra and opted for a safer Kia Soul.

That said, I still own some unsafe cars. Geo trackers are really bad. My Mercedes was cutting edge in 1987, but probably only very marginally safer than the Saturn for the driver mostly due to weight and a heavy frame.

That CoPart car you posted is not something I would have wanted to be in. If you could duplicate the crash that caused that but in a modern Volvo or really any 2015 or newer car, it would look much better.
Wondering where you pulled that "2015" number from. Were 2014 cars unsafe and then suddenly 2015 all of the cars magically became the new standard for safety? Ehhh.... this is where forums get inaccurate with information.
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:41 AM   #7
mbr
mbr will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2

I was rammed in the driver's door by a Volvo six years ago. Demolished the door, caved in the post with the hinges, broke the fender and windshield . I had to go in and out the passenger side.
The Volvo was totaled, I drove my SW2 home. The body shop pulled the hinge post out, I slapped on a good door and fender (I happened to have a parts car), a new windshield and am still driving it.
Accuracy MATTERS!
mbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I rode motorcycles for 35 years. I estimate I rode in excess of 500,000 miles, and had 3 accidents - 2 with broken bones.

In comparison - the Saturn is a tank.

93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayZombi View Post
Wondering where you pulled that "2015" number from. Were 2014 cars unsafe and then suddenly 2015 all of the cars magically became the new standard for safety? Ehhh.... this is where forums get inaccurate with information.
Way to take the noob approach with your response. Changes between 1-2 model years could be the difference between Poor/Marginal ratings changing to Good in one category.

Case in point, the 2013 Kia Soul had Poor Small Overlap [SOL] Ratings:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...oor-wagon/2013

They didn't test SOL in 2014 possibly because they were developing countermeasures for their poor ratings.

The 2015 Kia Soul had Good SOL ratings for both passenger and driver sides:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...oor-wagon/2015

Onlinebiker, any cager-type vehicle is safer than a bike. lol
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Volvo's have been Chinese, not Swedish, since around 2012. I've heard good things about it's parent company not messing with a good thing but still...China.

If you think ABS in the S-Series is going to save you from anything except actually stopping at the sign/light you're going to have a bad day. Same with TC, if it's "ON" you're not going anywhere when you actually need traction. The idea of both systems is good, the system actually put in the S-Series is pure junk.

I probably wouldn't have rolled a '97 SL2 over if it hadn't had ABS. No matter what, it was 100% my fault...but it was my first ABS car and I drove it as told "don't pump, just slam & hold". Fricken stupid idea and everyone that says it should be wacked with a wet pool noodle. The good thing was the only cuts I got were from the broken rear window I had just paid $500 to replace less than a week beforehand and all 4 doors still worked fine.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
Way to take the noob approach with your response. Changes between 1-2 model years could be the difference between Poor/Marginal ratings changing to Good in one category.

Case in point, the 2013 Kia Soul had Poor Small Overlap [SOL] Ratings:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...oor-wagon/2013

They didn't test SOL in 2014 possibly because they were developing countermeasures for their poor ratings.

The 2015 Kia Soul had Good SOL ratings for both passenger and driver sides:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...oor-wagon/2015

Onlinebiker, any cager-type vehicle is safer than a bike. lol
^^^^^WINNER^^^^^

I'm a mechanical engineer and I do consulting in accident reconstruction -- small overlap tests were intruduced around 2013, and it took a couple years for manufacturers to respond with changes, but by 2015 most had done so and vehicle safety was very much improved.

A similar improvement in safety occurred with the introduction of side crash testing.

As to anecdotes of "Well I got hit by a Volvo, and I drove away" -- great, I'm glad you were ok. The Volvo did the job it was designed to do and crushed to absorb energy and soften the impact to its driver (AND to soften the impact to YOU). I see files all the time where people survived bad crashes in very unsafe cars. Had they had the same wreck in something safer, however, they would have had much less injury.

As to the Chinese ownership, Volvo was owned by ford before that, which is arguably worse...
MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote