SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Default Power steering pump question

How do we find out which kind of power steering pump our S series have? On rockauto.com they have variable assist, non variable assist...Basically a slew of choices. Looking for a 95 SC2 5 speed with DOHC.
96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Power steering pump question

If you have a 7 series (SL2 DOHC) you have variable assist. If it's a SOHC it's not. Also in the variable there is a solenoid on the pump.
That being said: If you need a pump and good pulley (variable assist) I have one that that is perfect condition. If interested PM me
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Mustang4fn
Mustang4fn is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

To jump on the ps pump question bandwagon, I have a 1993 sl2 with dohc that has a pump that sounds like bearings are going out. In park or neutral it sounds fine, but in drive chatters horribly.

Ironically this noise almost immediately occurred after replacing the top motor mount. Upon looking at the myriad of pumps available number of bolts, bolt pattern, evo or non evo, it doesn't look like autozone or oreily auto parts carry the specific pump I need (or I believe I need). Any suggestions? I've seen other posts that suggest the evo portion can be taken off of the pump being replaced, along with the resevior. Although I personally would rather simply replace the entire unit, is this possible? How difficult is it? Which pump specifically does my car take? Thanks in advance!
Mustang4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

SL2/SW2/SC/SC2 takes the "with EVO" pump.
SL/SL1/SC1/SW1 takes the "without EVO" pump.

I remember there being a problem swapping pumps between SOHC & DOHC engines, but I fixed it by using the matching mounting bracket. I believe it was just the way the mount had offsets but it may have also been the way the bracketry and threaded/non-threaded holes were setup. Some have said there's more problems then just that while others have said there's less so it may be a 1st gen only type of problem I had.

I've not yet seen an aftermarket pump come with the reservoir or pulley (forcing you to reuse both), but if you get the "with EVO" it comes with the valve while the "without EVO" doesn't even have the hole for it.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Mustang4fn

1993 SL2

Yes, I knew none came with the pulley, but I believe rockauto and napa carry one that has everything else. I've just never really used anyone besides autozone and checker (now oreily), especially for parts that might eventually need some type of warranty exchange.

I'll see if I can look up the pumps and provide the address to see what all of you think...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Mustang4fn

1993 SL2

Ok, here's the napa link to the one I believe is the correct one... Is this the right one? I'm going to pull the belt tonight and make sure the noise is coming from the pump, but it's pretty distinct and coming from that area.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...348_0333879096
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Mustang4fn

1993 SL2

Ok, went to NAPA today to further look into the pump. They didn't have it in stock, they didn't have it in their local warehouse, but could get it from their Salt Lake City Warehouse, but it would take 4-5 days and I would have to pay for the shipping...needless to say I wasn't willing to jump and throw my credit card down.

I decided to come home and pull the belt off of the car and check everything that moves. There was no atypical noise with the engine quickly on and off with no belt. I moved to the PS pump and it doesn't seem like there is any drag or noise coming from it. Moved to the alternator and it sounded like a squeeky hamster cage. Everything else seemed smooth and quite, but the tensioner did seem to wobble ever so slightly, but I couldn't get a noise off of it.

Now I'm even more confused!!! I put the belt back on and did another listen, only to again come to the conclusion that the noise is resonating from the PS Pump. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2

If the tensioner pulley is at all loose, I would suspect it over the power steering pump. Also check the idler puller.

An alternator that sound like a hamster wheel would make me pretty nervous that the bearings are going out. Really hard to tell since the pump and alternator are right next to each other.
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Mustang4fn

1993 SL2

I'll have a chance to look and work on it on Sunday. After writing my last post, the alternator noise started to concern me a little bit more... The car is a daily driver and I drive it two days out of the week around 100 miles. My better half drives it the rest of the time for about 50 miles each trip. I'd rather not get stuck in it, have her get stuck or have the noise in the alternator get worse only to then have to repair it.

I'm going to also double check the pulleys, as I'll have the pass. side wheel off and a little better clearance.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
If you have a 7 series (SL2 DOHC) you have variable assist. If it's a SOHC it's not. Also in the variable there is a solenoid on the pump.
That being said: If you need a pump and good pulley (variable assist) I have one that that is perfect condition. If interested PM me
Do you still have the PS pump available? Check PMs.

jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Mustang4fn

1993 SL2

Took a better look at everything last night and today and decided the hamster wheel alternator needed attention. I went ahead and replaced the alternator, degreased and cleaned the entire engine and fired her up to no noise... I'm hoping it was the problem, but I don't rule out the power steering pump or the tensioner still, as they are both original to the car. I actually bought another tensioner, but it has the plastic pulley, not the metal, so I chose not to install it and will take it back this week. I think I'll look around for an oem one in the meantime, as I figure eventually it will need it.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When shopping for a PS pump there is the with and without solenoid issue which is quite easy to sort out and then there are several different bracket configurations that are not interchangeable. The rebuilders do not sort by bracket requirements. As the "rebuilt pump has a new front seal on a seriously worn main shaft and that is about the size of the rebuild doing your own rebuild is a better choice or going to the JY and picking a pump with matching brackets.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote