SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Bridgestone Duelers, are they THAT noisy?/wheel prep?

I recently had my 9th bearing service done on the Vue back in September,.. at least this time it was a rear that was an original. My mechanic says the remaing noise is due to tires, though I'd swear another bearing is going, sounds just the same only the howling noise the bearing made is gone.

Last spring, I picked up a set of 17" 5 spokes with Long Trails on them for a couple of bills. 2 of the tires are really nice, & the other 2 not all that great, she claimed to only have 3K on them but I think it was more like 23K

The new 17" wheels are still corroded around the edges, yet not as bad as the 16" snowflakes, I spent the summer sealing the delaminations on the new ones, but found it too late in the season now to bother installing them.... they seem sealed, though I'd just rather not subject them to 'chemical' at this point, & put them on in the spring.

I was thinking of painting these as they probably looked beautiful new, if these are stripped with aircraft stripper, what is the best way to prep these? I would think they could be painted after a light sanding withoout stripping. Years ago when I refinished aluminum rims I used a prep solution that is likely banned now. Too bad GM doesn't make their wheels with a 'chemical' resistant coating.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Bridgestone Duelers, are they THAT noisy?/wheel prep?

I replaced my OEM Bridgestone Howlers, I mean, Duelers, and the difference was very distinct. I can now hear the engine.

Unfortunately, if I drive on a noisy surface, like chip and seal asphalt. there is still a lot of noise in the cabin.
2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I've prepped wheels with a metal stripper (I got mine at Home Depot- but similar to aircraft stripper). Make sure to wear rubber gloves- and not those latex doctor gloves, you need some chemical gloves. I used the stipper and steel wool. It took the wheels I was working on down to bare metal very quickly. And then the rest is all in the painting.

As far as the Duellers go- I haven't had mine on in nearly 70k miles. Is the tread dried out and cracked? Is the tread of the tires cupped or feathered at all? Mine were dried and cracked and therefore loud in the dry and poor in the wet.

And 9 bearings? WOW!
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Venom
Venom is on a distinguished road

Like everyone else, mine came with the Duellers. 2nd set was Duellers as well. 3rd set was the Long Trails. Admittedly I did not rotate them as I should have and went too long on this last rotation and they howl like an SOB after the latest tire rotation. I can deal with that just by turning up the radio since it is almost always me in the Vue and occasionally my daughter.

BUT . . . I think the Long Trails suck arse on the Vue and will be going back to the Duellers for the 4th set. For me and I am not that "spirited" of a driver, I have issues with wet and dry traction with them. I always felt better traction with the Duellers and they are certainly quieter.

And no its not bearing noise issues. 154K and only 2 wheel hubs have been changed in my Vue. Front left, back right.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

The used 'new' 5 spokes aren't this bad...yet these were already delaminating themselves when I bought the car @ just under 3 years old (3 seasons of chemical).... the prior owner likely never took care of them, combined with excessive chemical & shoddy manufacturing... never seen a set this bad.

This is a Machined surface, the 5 spokes are also machined.. pretty when new, don't wear well. Did these styles also come painted? I see some that still look in nice shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pc134308.jpg (68.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Pc134309.jpg (67.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Pc134310.jpg (66.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Pc134311.jpg (67.9 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Bismarck318; 12-15-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

The used 'new' 5 spokes aren't this bad...yet these were already delaminating themselves when I bought the car @ just under 3 years old (3 seasons of chemical).... the prior owner likely never took care of them, combined with excessive chemical & shoddy manufacturing... never seen a set this bad.

This is a Machined surface, the 5 spokes are also machined.. pretty when new, don't wear well. Did these styles also come painted? I see some that still look in nice shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
I've prepped wheels with a metal stripper (I got mine at Home Depot- but similar to aircraft stripper). Make sure to wear rubber gloves- and not those latex doctor gloves, you need some chemical gloves. I used the stipper and steel wool. It took the wheels I was working on down to bare metal very quickly. And then the rest is all in the painting.
I used to strip furniture, so I'm familiar with chemicals, though can't the finish be painted with prep? & if stripped do they need a primer?

Quote:
As far as the Duellers go- I haven't had mine on in nearly 70k miles. Is the tread dried out and cracked? Is the tread of the tires cupped or feathered at all? Mine were dried and cracked and therefore loud in the dry and poor in the wet.
Hard to tell, there may be a bit of sawblading, yet these have to be cross rotated I believe... & they have been.

Quote:
And 9 bearings? WOW!
LFx3, RFx5 done prior to me owing the vehicle, was well hidden before I purchased, did not show up on 'carfox', but these were all dealer performed... Im thinking was this just tire noise, & the dealer pacified the prior owner by replacing bearings? ... perhaps tire noise all along. (???)

LR x1.

Venom, u say the Long Trails arent as good in weather? if it weren't that much trouble I'd really like to do a swap to see if the noise goes away, the Long trails have no sawblading or cupping that I can see.... still like to run the Duelers this winter regardless.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
travlincub321
travlincub321 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I noticed a difference when I took the 3 Bridgestone Dulars and one Firestone something off it...I run bridgestone ecopia (Prius-Eco Tires) and LOVE LOVE THEM..Made my gas mileage go up 2 pegs and there quite and smooth
travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

travlincub321, I was still under the impression that there were only 2 choices in rubber on this vehicle, the Duelers being the 16" standard, & the Long Trails being the 17" standard.

With both set of rims being in such terrible shape if I should happen to need tires this winter I would only invest in a couple of duelers on the crappier rims or go with just swapping out the 16" for the 17's at this point... wanted to wait till spring.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Never ever have I had a set of Duelers or any other set of tires sound like a bad wheel bearing. And I've had a few different sets of tires.
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdough View Post
Never ever have I had a set of Duelers or any other set of tires sound like a bad wheel bearing. And I've had a few different sets of tires.
I've never had tires that were noisy either (with the exception of the Pirelli P-44's on my Camry).. my mrchanic insists this nose is from the aggressive thread pattern on the Duelers, & said I can make slight adjustsments in steering & see if the pitch changes to confirm this... if the noise drasticly changes pitch momentarily it might be a bearing. Then again the cabin isn't sufficently insulated from what I gather either, all road noise seems to transfer to the inside.

On the last bearing I was hearing a hollow howl going around corners, though this is more of a rumble that is getting louder, perhaps as the tires wear more... maybe even be louder in the rain.

I bet these rims were pretty when new, I hope they can be saved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pc164313.jpg (44.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Pc164314.jpg (77.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Pc164316.jpg (64.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Pc164319.jpg (40.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Bismarck318; 12-21-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

BTW to anyone still reading, since on the subject on tires, what is the Life expectancy of the Duelers?

I only have 19K on them, I thought they were nearly new @ 70K, I may not be able to trust them for the winter.... maybe in SoCal they would be fine for another 10-15K, but not here.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

I got about 30k out of mine.
Not a Saturn.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
BTW to anyone still reading, since on the subject on tires, what is the Life expectancy of the Duelers?

I only have 19K on them, I thought they were nearly new @ 70K, I may not be able to trust them for the winter.... maybe in SoCal they would be fine for another 10-15K, but not here.
I had two sets of Duelers, both got about 30K.

I am on my second set of Michelins. I got 60K out of the first set and have 25K on the second set.

Duelers (16") are louder than my Michelins.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

I got an average of 60,000 miles out of my two sets.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Need to clarify, I got 120,000 miles out of two sets. One got near 70,000 and the next got a little over 50,000 after not rotating them as much.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Update,

TY all for your insight, seems like 30K is a conservative figure likely when there is weather involved, though I would think NJ would be subject to incleminate weather.... in Cali I imagine without Road Chemical & bad weather you can get toward the 50-60K mark.

Worst Case on Tires, Pireilli P44's on my Camry, I burned a set 18K on 2 (replaced under warranty) & 22K on the remaining 2... best case, right after the 2 P44's were replaced with Pirelli P500's... 67K & still going, in 2 & 71K & still going on the other 2, I had got rid of the car in August, but I was actually going to trust these tires for the upcoming winter if I had decided to keep it.... the P44's were very noisy, where the P500's were very quiet tires.

I spent Christmas day trying to get the Duelers off for the impending storm, though the rims siezed to the rotor. I took it in the next day for a X tire rotation which quieted down quite a bit.

I'm hoping the setup will suffice till possibly Match when I can put the Long Trails on. How are the 17" Long Trails in the Snow, & what is the recommended pressure on these... still 35 PSI?

VT what grade of Michelins, Pricy? If I keep the vehicle I may have to make a decision on which rims restore..... one way or another, would still like to run the Duelers to the ground so I can scrap them. (easier to store the rims)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
Venom
Venom is on a distinguished road

I live in NW Indiana about an hour from Chicago and they will salt the roads if even 1 flake of snow flies. That being said, my rims don't look too bad on my 2006. As for wear on the Duellers I used to use I would get 60K easily on each set.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Tires, even with no miles on them, have a shelf life of 6 years. Rubber weakens and crack at 6 years. Manufacturers even recommend replacing the spare tire in a car at 6 years...

I guess the Red Line will get a new set of shoes this year...

The Bridgestone Duelers I've driven on rentals were fine tires, but they were less than a year old.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

I have heard that tires do age, but you would have to think that their environment would have something to do with how long you could keep them.

If you keep them in the basement they should last longer than if they were out in the sun all the time.

I had a motorcycle that I used the original tires for about 28 years before I finally changed them. They were still holding air and would hold the bike up off the ground, but they didn't have the greatest traction. Most of the time the bike was in my garage holding some sheets of plywood next to the wall.

Nevertheless I like the idea of changing tires sooner than later.
2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
If you keep them in the basement they should last longer than if they were out in the sun all the time.
If you keep them away from things that produce ozone (like big electrical items) they will last longer than being stored outside and in the weather.
Not a Saturn.