SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
mateo305ci
mateo305ci is on a distinguished road

Default Cruise Control Brake Switch

The service light(accompanied by loss of cruise control) came on my L300 two days ago. I pulled the code this morning, and it was a P0571: cruise control brake switch.

Can anyone shed some light on this code? Does this refer to the same brake switch that operates the lights, etc?

2001 Saturn L300 124,000 miles. 100,000 mile service has been performed.
mateo305ci is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Cruise Control Brake Switch

This switch is not the same as the brake light switch. It is located along side it, however. The brake light switch has a four wire connector and the cruise control brake switch has a two wire connector. The problem might be with the switch only. Older vehicles would come with a brake light switch which had additional wiring and contacts to disengage the cruise control when the brake pedal was depressed. Not so with our cars. I suspect that the cruise control was turned off by the computer when it could no longer tell that the circuit was complete (perhaps caused by a switch failure). This would protect you from a cruise control unit which wouldn't disengage when applying the brake pedal. Test for continuity of the switch to verify if it's working or not.
334,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
mateo305ci

I found two switches on the brake, and each had two wires connected to it. The first switch had a purple and a brown wire. The second switch had an orange and a blue wire. Which one is the brake light switch, and which is the cruise control switch?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, only one will turn on the brake lights so disconnect one switch, press the brake pedal and look out the back (hopefully you have a wall or something to reflect the brake lights back). You have a 50/50 chance of finding out which is which.................
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Haynes diagram says orange and blue is the brake light switch.
Also have a 2008 Astra XE
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo305ci View Post
I found two switches on the brake, and each had two wires connected to it. The first switch had a purple and a brown wire. The second switch had an orange and a blue wire. Which one is the brake light switch, and which is the cruise control switch?
Either switch could be guilty - perhaps due to failure or needing adjustment.

See attached FSM wiring diagram for wiring colors.

I've attached circuit description extracted from DTC P0571 (PM an email address if you'd like the complete extract ... its too large to post).

Circuit Description

The cruise brake switch and the stop lamp switch are brake pedal inputs to the ECM to determine if the brake pedal is applied or released. Ignition voltage is supplied at the cruise brake switch input to the ECM whenever the ignition is turned On and the brake pedal is released (switch closed).

If the brake pedal is applied, the cruise brake switch input at the ECM will go low. The ECM stop lamp switch circuit works the opposite. Battery voltage is supplied at the stop lamp switch input to the ECM whenever the brake pedal is applied (switch closed). If the brake pedal is released, the stop lamp switch input at the ECM will go low. If the stop lamp switch input at the ECM were to open, the switch input would read between 5-7 volts (ECM pull-up voltage).

The ECM monitors both brake switches by making sure they both transition (one changes from high, while the other changes to low or vice versa) together within a certain amount time from each other. If one switch transitions and the other does not, then one of the two switches contains a circuit fault or is not adjusted correctly.

DTC P0571 will set if the cruise brake or stop lamp switch input at the ECM changes state for longer than 1 second, while the other did not for a certain number of consecutive times in one ignition cycle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf L300 Cruise Cntl Wiring.pdf (113.9 KB, 97 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
mateo305ci

This is great information guys. Just to clarify, does a P0571 not necessarily indicate fault at the cruise control brake switch, but with the 2 brake switches in general? Thinking about ordering a new cruise control brake switch, but it would be nice if there were additional diagnostics to run.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
mateo305ci

Also- if I were to order the replacement, does this look to be the correct part? Has anyone else used RockAuto.com?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...978&cc=1374948
Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
mateo305ci

Just for the record (for anyone browsing this post encountering the same problem) I fixed my issue. I found out that the brake switch and cruise control switch are the same part#. The brake switch can be found at most auto parts stores for $10, and switches out with the cruise control switch. Install new switch, disconnect and reconnect battery to ECM, and you're good.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really nice

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo305ci View Post
Install new switch, disconnect and reconnect battery to ECM, and you're good.
Thanks for following up, I'm sure that'll save a few people a lot of hassle!

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
mateo305ci

The car seemed to be working fine since the switch had been replaced, but now the service(wrench) light has re-appeared, and my brake lights are not working.

Here are the codes that I'm pulling:
P0719 - Torque Convertor Brake Switch
P0571 - Cruise Control Brake Switch

As mentioned before, the brake lights are not working when pressed. I replaced both cruise control and brake light switches, to no avail. One thing I have noticed: if I disconnect the battery, reconnect it, and start the car, the service light is gone and the cruise control works for about 5 min. Then, the service light reappears and cruise control is dead. The torque convertor does not seem to be locking-up either. The brake lights are out through the entire process, regardless of the service light being on or off.

I'm stumped. Is there anything else I can diagnose/repair/replace to make some progress?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
mateo305ci

Additional information:

I can reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. The car will work fine and TC will lockup, no service light. Once I turn the cruise control button "ON" and the light is illuminated, the service light will come on the next time I hit the brake. Has anyone dealt with this before? Does anyone have information about the brake/cruise control circuit?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Cruise control depends heavily on the brake circuit/switch even though it has its own switch. Think safety; at any time when cruise control is used, you are putting your faith in an electronic system to maintain speed but if anything were to occur to endanger your safety then all you have to do is press the brake pedal - to slow/stop the car while simultaneously disengaging the cc system. You may have read of recent news about Toyota settling out of court a multi million dollar recall about "unintended acceleration" related to their electronic throttles (drive by wire). Independent insurance companies, NASA and the feds have not proven Toyota's dbw system with any fault but Toyota has taken the issue seriously as a hit to its untarnished reputation for safety by taking several steps to mitigate its standing in the public eye as well as in civil suits. Cruise control is one system that has strong safety measures against any chances of a runaway engine so it failing is related to the brake system. The first and foremost issue is the glaring problem of no brake lights - this is the only issue that should be dealt with. Ignore cc as its secondary and not a priority for now. Its just a convenience for relaxed driving and takes a second seat to braking safety. When the brake circuit is repaired cc will most likely operate immediately - cc will not operate when the brake circuit is compromised for any reason. CC is designed with safety in mind and the system simply defaults to its fail safe limit by not providing cc when the brake circuit fails. No brake lights with brake pedal pressed disables cc. The brake circuit needs to be examined.

Is it possible the brake switch installation was done incorrectly and is now broken? Brake lights do not need the engine running for testing. Either the brake switch is misaligned, broken or wiring failed. Check to be sure the brake light fuse(s) are not damaged or loose in their fuse holders and fuse holders not loose/cooked. Any brake light replaced with incorrect lamps?

Even with replacing the brake/cc switch, something went wrong between the time replacement was made and now. Is is possible
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Just a hunch here. Could there be a wire chafed and grounding. There are several moving parts under the dash that can rub on the wires.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
mateo305ci

I checked the brake fuse, and it was blown. I replaced the fuse, drove around for 15-20 min, and fuse blew again as soon as I disengaged the cc with the brake pedal. Checking the tail lights and lamp sockets next. Is there anything to look for that are tell-tale signs of tail light malfunction?