SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
johnnyphive
johnnyphive is on a distinguished road

Default 04 Vue AWD V6 - Left front wheel clicking noise manually turn wheel when on jack

First thanks for taking the time to read my pose in advance. I appreciate the knowledge I find here!

I've already replaced the right wheel bearing on my 04 vue so I just assumed that this "noise" was the same problem. However after having a closer look with my neighbor who is more knowledgeable than I, I'm thinking that its not a wheel bearing issue. While driving the noise is similar to the sound my right wheel made when the wheel bearing went. A constant loud humming/rumble while driving at speeds over 20mph. The noise is not tied to acceleration as it continues while coasting or in neutral.

Over the weekend we placed the vue on a jack and manually turned the left front wheel. While manually turning the wheel we heard a clicking noise coming from what I was told was "LEFT FRONT DRIVE AXLE SHAFT TO TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE". Neighbor said the noise wasn't coming from cv joint and that the cv boot was in good condition with no tears or leaks.

Like I said when the noise started (about a month ago) I just assumed the left front wheel bearing had let go. But now I suspect its something else. I read this post "04 Vue sounds like an airplane"
Quote:
saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154412
(sorry post count not high enough to hyperlink apparently) which it looks like it turned out to be the wheel bearing after all - so maybe my instinct is correct and its a wheel bearing after all? Seems like the its hard to identify these Vue noises

Thanks again for reading. Much appreciated.
johnnyphive is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 04 Vue AWD V6 - Left front wheel clicking noise manually turn wheel when on jack

A click in the wheel (when turning by hand) is one of the leading indicators of a bad bearing. You can use a stethoscope to pinpoint the origin of a sound, or put a rod to the suspected point and put your ear on it, like a wood dowel, long screwdriver, etc.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
johnnyphive

Default Re: 04 Vue AWD V6 - Left front wheel clicking noise manually turn wheel when on jack

Hi THanks very much for the reply. The noise isn't actually coming from the wheel itself (Sorry my fault, not sure i clarified that in my post). When I was listening while he was turning the wheel, the noise seems to be coming almost from directly under the where the engine is seated and not actually from the wheel. Like more towards the center inwards from the left front wheel. I don't know if that helps.

this is how he summarized it for me:

Quote:
left front drive axle shaft to transaxle/transfer case clicking noise in that area when manually turning wheel while up on jack also soft rumble/humming noise when driving at speeds over 20mph slight noise at lower speeds definitely not cv joint problem noise not coming from there & cv boot in good shape no tears or leaks
thanks again.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
johnnyphive

sorry to keep bumping this but i need 15 posts to link images.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
johnnyphive

up to 13
Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
johnnyphive

post # 14 sorry.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
johnnyphive

sorry again i really hope this does't tick people off. please bare with me. this is the last useless post - 15
Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
johnnyphive

Default UPDATED - 04 Vue AWD V6 - Left front wheel clicking noise

Ok so I have some more information and I can link images

So the noise is definitely not coming from the wheel. It appears to be coming from the trans-axle where the the left front axle rod connects to it.

Here are some images of where the sound is coming from.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so what was the repair process and cost?

Thanks in advance! and my sincere apologies for the useless posts.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I've not had a similar problem on my 05 Vue - V6 AWD.

I'd think with Vue on jack-stands the wheels will "droop" and the axles will be fully extended. The "click" could be the inner CVJ (tripot) indicating something is wrong.

You report a humming / rumble noise when moving ahead but have you tried some very tight low speed turns to left or right. A bad axle joint can "click" during these manuevers.

You might just need a replacement axle assembly.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: UPDATED - 04 Vue AWD V6 - Left front wheel clicking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyphive View Post
Has anyone had this problem before and if so what was the repair process and cost?
I've had 4 wheel bearings fail and never heard any clicking. I'm gonna say Half Shaft Ass'y here - $67.79 at RockAuto. Fairly easy job. You'll need a 33mm Axle Nut Socket.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
johnnyphive

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
johnnyphive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
I've had 4 wheel bearings fail and never heard any clicking. I'm gonna say Half Shaft Ass'y here - $67.79 at RockAuto. Fairly easy job. You'll need a 33mm Axle Nut Socket.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I did have the left front half shaft assembly replaced. However the noise remains. The mechanics seemed to think there was noise also coming from where the shaft connects to the drive train.

any other suggestions? Other people I talk to seem to think its transmission related.

I am not so certain. I have no issues shifting or any noticable drivability issues.

Its just a buzzing, humming coming from the front left/middle of the car. Wheel bearings have been ruled out.

I will say that replacing the assembly did help somewhat. I don't Feel it as much while I am driving and the noise is now less at lower speeds. However the problem/noise is still as prevalent as it was before at speeds over 40 mph. I am leaning towards finding a GM designated service center at this point. I have no idea what is causing the noise.

other people riding in the car have used "airplane" to describe the noise. So I took a look at this post http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154412 and the initial description does sound similar to the problem I am experiencing.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Its just a buzzing, humming coming from the front left/middle of the car. [snip] other people riding in the car have used "airplane" to describe the noise.
So no "clicking"? How about roaring, droning, knobby tire sound?
All these have been used to describe the sound of a bad wheel bearing.

Quote:
Wheel bearings have been ruled out.
How so?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
johnnyphive

appreciate the replay! thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
So no "clicking"? How about roaring, droning, knobby tire sound?
All these have been used to describe the sound of a bad wheel bearing.
It could be described as a roaring or droning.
I was convinced it was a wheel bearing as well. (I had one go bad on me and had it replaced about 10 months ago. But this sounds and seems to be a different issue

Quote:
How so?
I had them checked when I had the oil changed and tires rotated, and then again when the shaft assembly was replaced. (Also just had the right side wheel bearing replaced less than a year ago)

I told the mechanics my two main suspicion (with help from the posts here) was a wheel bearing or cv shaft.

The noise seems to be emanating more from the middle of the front end of the car rather than the left or right side where the wheels are.

Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I had them checked when I had the oil changed and tires rotated, and then again when the shaft assembly was replaced.
How were they "checked"? Some have suggested jacking the car up and grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel to see if there's any play. Or listening for noise while spinning the wheel when it's off the ground. Some suggested seeing if one hub is hotter than the others after a long drive. I don't think any of these tests have been effective.

Quote:
The noise seems to be emanating more from the middle of the front end of the car rather than the left or right side where the wheels are.
When my left front bearing went recently, I wasn't sure where the noise was coming from. It's sometimes hard to tell. After the wife had listened from the passenger seat for a while, I had her get behind the wheel - she said definitely left side.