SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 02:50 AM   #1
Beaker
Beaker is on a distinguished road

Question Throttle Response

I posted this on another "Saturn" Message board but I think they were too busy asking about Altezza tail lights and 19 inch rims to understand, let alone answer the question.

Due to a wearing steering rack in my CRX, I've been splitting the duties recently between the Rex and the Satty, and everytime I get in the Saturn I notice the response to pressing the accelerator is like pushing my foot into a undercooked piece of cake. Just mush, no response. Now the plugs and wires are pretty new, so I don't believe it to an ignition problem, is it possible my pedal is just sitting low, or do I need to tighten my throttle cable?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2002, 09:35 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Depending on the year/model/trans type of the Saturn it could simply be the power difference you are noticing. Pre-95' SL-1 Saturns had throttle body injection and as little as 85 HP. If the car performed better in the past and is showing no SES light then the primary suspect would be a clogged fuel filter and or dirty throttle body or fuel injector(s). After that a faulty throttle position sensor could be the cause of your problem as well.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 08-13-2002, 10:03 PM   #3
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

You know, some Altezza lights would add 10hp at the wheels.

But seriously, what kind of Saturn is it? What kind of tranny, are you running the A/C, is the fuel mileage suspiciously horrible?
Old 08-13-2002, 10:06 PM   #4
PFY
PFY is on a distinguished road

I get the exact same feel from my '97 SL2, just no UMPH ya know? Mine is an automatic, so i really blame the torque converter, but i am going to have the fuel filter replaced soon, as it's been about 50k since i've done it.

PFY
Old 08-13-2002, 11:12 PM   #5
Beaker
Beaker is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

ok, sorry I didn't give the vital info guys. It's a 91 DOHC, 5 sp, port & polished head, 8mm wires, and intake. By throttle Response I don't mean the car is slow. Honestly, as much as it kills me to say it, it whipes the floor with my CRX. What I mean is even under no strain, clutch pressed, when I stab the throttle it hesitates. There should be no bogging, because theres no load to carry, even out of gear, it dies for a second then takes off, I have no idea why. Any help would be appreciated. oh yeah, and it never does it after the initial stab at the throttle, it on;y does it when going from completely off the throttle to on.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:28 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Do a check on all the basics to make sure that everything is up to par before getting to far into other things. Check the secondary ignition system, plugs, wires, coils. Has it been awhile since the fuel filter has been changed?
Old 08-14-2002, 04:44 AM   #7
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Maybe start with seeing if any codes are set. If not the throttle position sensor, it could be something wrong with the idle air control? Doesn't that control air/fuel ratio at idle as well as partial throttle? When you replaced the wires, did you check for corrosion on the coil pack terminals? How long since you replaced the O2 sensor? Possibly a clogged catalytic converter? Just throwin' out ideas.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:19 AM   #8
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Idea

Another idea is to check the EGR valve. When the EGR valve begins failing we get slightly worse acceleration, worse gasoline mileage, and the car sort of "bucks" and "stumbles" when coasting/idling from a stop in first gear. If the EGR valve is still original this is where I'd place my bet. Nah, I'll place my bet on the EGR valve (and/or its solenoid) anyway!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:34 PM   #9
Terrandus
Terrandus is on a distinguished road

My 1996 SL1 used it hesitate on me all the time, it gets kinda scary when your trying to cross four lanes of traffic in rush-hour. At that time I had 75k miles on it and someone here recommended that I change the fuel filter I did that and the egine is back to running just fine.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:07 PM   #10
93BLKTWINCAM
93BLKTWINCAM is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
2004 ION Red Line

On the wife's '94 SC1 single cam, I have a major problem with pick-up. I tuned and changed/swapped all the stuff that could cause the general lack of power. I was told by a friend/professional mechanic that the guide(s) are broken on the chain and that the timing is off. I was told by wolfman that this is not the case. All I can say is that the single cam in this car ****s. I purchased the vehicle used, and it hasn't improved much over the 3 years that we owned it. Can anything else be causing such a lack of general power?...
Old 08-14-2002, 04:51 PM   #11
Terrandus

How much of a lack in power? Blown Head gasket? or maybe something thats causeing you to loose compression?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
93BLKTWINCAM

2001 SW2
2004 ION Red Line

I did a little checking and it seems that the EGR is not functioning. I put a vacuum pump on the diaphram and it will hold vacuum but it won't pull the plunger up. If I pull it up manually, the engine kills. Also, I noticed in open loop (cold engine) that the car runs a bit better, but when 1/4 or more on the temp., the car doesn't perform as well. With the a/c on, it can't get out of it's way. Would the EGR cause a general loss of power if not opening?...
Old 08-14-2002, 10:28 PM   #13
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The EGR should open when vacumm is put to it when the engine is not running. When it is runnng there is a vacumm bleed so that the EGR does not open to fast and cause a stumble. Your vacumm pump may not be able to give it enough vacumm flow with the engine running to open the EGR. If the EGR won't open under vacumm with engine off then there is something wrong.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:35 PM   #14
93BLKTWINCAM

2001 SW2
2004 ION Red Line

Would that cause a "bogg" when taking off? Would the EGR not functioning cause a general lack of power?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:36 PM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The loss of EGR activity genearally alone will not cause a loss of power unless it is increasing detonation/spark knock and bringing the knock sensor ignition retard into play. HOWEVER, EGR valves rarely just "suddenly" fail but get gradually lazy until they just cease to open. This can allow build up under the valve closing point preventing complete sealing. If indeed the valve is bad replacing it should provide a noticable improvement regardless of which issue it is manifesting. Also remember if your 94' SC 1 has the throttle body injection it is rated somwhere around 85-90 hp NEW, thusly it will not have near the power of a "2" car with 124 hp.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 08-14-2002, 10:40 PM   #16
93BLKTWINCAM

2001 SW2
2004 ION Red Line

I didn't know how good a single cam Saturn ran until my brother-in-law purchased his '95 and took me for a ride in it. It runs pretty close with my twin. I know the '95s had 100 hp rating which is a little more than the 85 or so hp of the '94...
How about open loop running vs. closed loop. Where does the temp. have to be to enter closed loop?...
Old 08-14-2002, 11:04 PM   #17
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by David 93 SL2m
Another idea is to check the EGR valve. When the EGR valve begins failing we get slightly worse acceleration, worse gasoline mileage, and the car sort of "bucks" and "stumbles" when coasting/idling from a stop in first gear. If the EGR valve is still original this is where I'd place my bet. Nah, I'll place my bet on the EGR valve (and/or its solenoid) anyway!
Quote:
Originally posted by 93BLKTWINCAM
I did a little checking and it seems that the EGR is not functioning. I put a vacuum pump on the diaphram and it will hold vacuum but it won't pull the plunger up. If I pull it up manually, the engine kills. Also, I noticed in open loop (cold engine) that the car runs a bit better, but when 1/4 or more on the temp., the car doesn't perform as well. With the a/c on, it can't get out of it's way. Would the EGR cause a general loss of power if not opening?...
Do I win a prize?

Check for computer codes with the paperclip trick. I bet you see a 34...

Changing the EGR valve is easy and it comes with a new gasket. It is about $50 for a new EGR valve for the old Saturns.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:10 AM   #18
93BLKTWINCAM

2001 SW2
2004 ION Red Line

This EGR doesn't open under vacuum. The diaphram seems ok, but it doesn't raise the valve from it's seat. If it's closed all the time, how would the engine respond?...
My brother-in-laws Saturn loss the brakes when his EGR stuck open. The car would barely run and when the EGR was replaced, his car ran like a spooked deer...
Old 08-15-2002, 08:28 AM   #19
David 93 SL2m
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Attention

Quote:
Originally posted by David 93 SL2m

Check for computer codes with the paperclip trick. I bet you see a 34...
Ooops! I meant to write code 32. Sorry, I made a mistake.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:05 PM   #20
Terrandus

OFF TOPIC:

I keep hearing about this paper clip thing to read the error codes, perhaps someone could point in the direction where I can find out exactly how to do this, it beats having to pay my dealer 30$ to give me the same info....
Closed Thread