saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

Default motor mounts

Well I just got off the phone with Saturn of CO Spgs, and they want 75$ for the upper mount, 65$ for the "dogbone" style, and another 45$ for the transmission mount. This sounds ridiculous to me. I've seen the lower mounts on SPS for 79$ for both. I'm really i need of the upper mount, any one know where I can find a good aftermarket one? and how much? Thanks
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2002, 06:44 PM   #2
1991SL
1991SL is on a distinguished road

Heh. That's nothing. Motor mounts for my 1991 SL in Florida were priced by Saturn as follows:

$170 or so for one motor mount
$140 or so for the other (I don't remember which mount was which)

Oh, and then there'd be labor...

Anyways, you should probably just try calling your nearby AutoZone, Discount Auto Parts, or PepBoys (If you have any of them in your area). If I recall correctly, they carry them for the 92s and up.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:41 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

That IS rediculous...I just paid $53.67 for the upper mount retail for my kids 92' SL2 from my local Saturn retailer...even with shipping to you that would still be less! Try calling around (even out of state) to other Saturn dealers or as the other post suggested, go aftermarket at an auto parts store.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 08-10-2002, 09:28 AM   #4
Dudley
Dudley is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Auto Dealerships Prices

That is my biggest complaint with dealerships - even Saturn! (As much as I like the service department, one still has to be careful.)
The price to do business. Inflated product prices plus labor = big $$$.
A coulple of years ago, I was told my wires needed replacing at $65. I told them that it was too expensive and if they cut the price in half I'll let them install it. When I refused and would not budge, (the best part of the story) the machanic took me aside and informed me to "get better" wires at the store it's cheaper.
Well, I took my gearhead brother-in-law with me to the local auto parts store and picked up lifetime decent 8mm wires for $30.
Again, give me REASONABLE prices and we'll dance. However, please don't rob me. If the dealership had reasonable prices, they would have had my business, as such I took it elsewhere.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:42 AM   #5
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Like movie theaters making most of their profits from refreshments, dealerships make most of their profits from parts and service. They have to price the cars they sell competitively, as the first three important things to consumers are price, price, and price. I'm sure by now dealerships have experimented with lower prices for parts and service vs. volume, and they're doing just fine with those of us who decide to shop elsewhere/do work ourselves. There will always be those who always bring their cars to the dealer to get genuine OEM parts or because they feel they can trust the dealer more than the commissioned chain service centers.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:44 AM   #6
dohc 97
dohc 97 is on a distinguished road

If you have the ability to remove the upper mount, you should have the ability to take it apart, stuff pieces of heater hose on the sides of the rubber block and reassemble.
All it takes to separate the black stamped-steel piece from the body is an electric drill, a hammer and a cold chisel.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:42 AM   #7
R.J.Barnett
R.J.Barnett is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, my local Saturn dealer charged me $55.24 (plus tax) for the upper mount (mine is a '92 SL2).

At the time, I didn't even think of an aftermarket (I've had my Saturn so long, I still think nobody carries aftermarket for it), but I just checked www.autozone.com. They have it for $39.99.

Last edited by R.J.Barnett; 08-11-2002 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:31 PM   #8
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

Default engine mount

actually upon a quick inspection it seems the engine is pivoting on the transmission mount (far right) under the stock airbox. It seems this one will need to be replaced first (although the upper mount will be replaced shortly after).

Anyone swapped out the transmission mount, and how would I go about doing this? TIA
Old 08-12-2002, 12:57 AM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Not bad at all..place a jack under the transaxle as close to beneath the mount as possible without squashing anything (use a block of wood as a cushion between the jack and the transaxle) jack up the transaxle just enough to relieve the weight on the mount , then remove the bolts and the old mount and bolt in the new. Once installed lower and remove the jack..that's it.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 08-12-2002, 01:08 AM   #10
93BLKTWINCAM
93BLKTWINCAM is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by R.J.Barnett
For what it's worth, my local Saturn dealer charged me $55.24 (plus tax) for the upper mount (mine is a '92 SL2).

At the time, I didn't even think of an aftermarket (I've had my Saturn so long, I still think nobody carries aftermarket for it), but I just checked www.autozone.com. They have it for $39.99.
And for the $39.99 you get a "lifetime" warranty!...
Closed Thread