SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
trainer
trainer is on a distinguished road

Default dead cigarette lighter socket

95 SC2 has cig lightersocket used for GPS plugin and worked til last week when suddenly NO 12V on center pin of the socket. All other electric things power up fine.

Any tips? is there a separate fuse somewhere for this/ has the socket failed for anyone else?
any other things on same circuit?
Thanks for info.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
grnsl2dude
grnsl2dude is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1996 SC2
Default Re: dead cigarette lighter socket

Check the fuse and then trace back to where the fuse panel. Also check the fuses for heat burn on the legs (anything other colour then silver)
grnsl2dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Well, you may have fried the F5 pin.
It is famous for failing after plugging in other loads other than used as a cigarette lighter.
The F5 is located behind that kick panel located to the right of the drivers foot and part of the console.
Search SaturnFans.com for F5 issues and repairs.
It is quite common failure due to that socket being overloaded.
Moral is, don't plug in Garmin or phones into it or that pin will fry up and need to be replaced.....seems like that pin failure causes other issues but I don't recall just now what they are.
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

On a '95 it may not be actually F5, I think that is the correct ID for later years. All the "F5" threads and discussion are still pertinent, just look for a burned terminal as described in the threads. It will be obvious if it is burned.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Probably not the F5 issue as there would be other issues (F5 issue due to a lot of loads being run through that juncture - chime, fuel pump, etc)

Go to the passenger side - pull the panel by the passenger left foot at the center console. Look for a yellow 20 amp fuse, cigarette llghter is the only load on that fuse (assuming 95 is same as other 2nd gens). The back of the panel should have a diagram molded into it, if it is different. Let us know how it turns out.

First gen is F6, 2nd gen is F5, 3rd gen is F2
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173989

95 SC2 was a transition year (2nd gen dash/IP, 1st gen exterior and mechanical) but was included in the TSB for gen2/F5
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba..._014448_f5.pdf

To avoid future issues (cig lighter not designed for continuous loads), look in the How To library - adventureoflink wrote up how to run cig lighter directly off battery (fused relay) - removes load off fuse and F5 juncture
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

My diagram shows pin F5 for '95 as well. It's just as overloaded as the rest of 2nd gens, especially if you have power locks.
Theoretically the fuel pump could start at the exact moment you hit the lock/unlock button with the dome/map lights on and blow the IP BAT fuse in the UHJB (or burn the F5 pin) and that's without giving it any "not factory intended" loads

The cig lighter use's the locks fuse and it's shared with the power locks (#12, 20a, in the cabin fuse box). If the locks work then something likely happened to the socket. You should be able to get to the socket & wiring by removing the radio shroud, 2 push pins on either side.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The cig lighter use's the locks fuse and it's shared with the power locks (#12, 20a, in the cabin fuse box).
Good info, thanks!

Saturn must have made a change - maybe owners were complaining of cig lighter issues. I'm showing for my 98 the cig lighter on #13 by itself (PL still on #12). But for whatever reason, everything still ran through F5

Rewiring the cig lighter is on my To Do list but one of those that keeps getting put off because no immediate issues
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The cig lighter use's the locks fuse and it's shared with the power locks (#12, 20a, in the cabin fuse box). If the locks work then something likely happened to the socket. You should be able to get to the socket & wiring by removing the radio shroud, 2 push pins on either side.
I've had my Cigarette lighter go out before and it turned out to be just the fuse. I don't have power locks though so It doesn't usually get w whole lot of current through it. Not sure how it blew
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #9
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

I wired my Garmin GPS into the car permanently.

I used a socket end from a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug "Y" cord. I cut one of the sockets off, and wired it into the power window circuit in the console fuse block. Then I plugged my GPS power cord into it, and then rubber banded the power cord into the socket so it wouldn't vibrate lose and fall out. I stuffed it all behind the lower part of the dash in front of the shifter. That power circuit is key powered, so the socket turns off when the key turns off. I ran the GPS power wire up behind the face panel and popped it out a seam near the dash cover where my GPS sits. OH! That rubber band dried out and broke, so I used a piece of wire to wrap around it like the rubber band.

It's been that way for 2.5 years. My GPS stays on the dash permanently; never comes down. The power window circuit is designed to handle WAY more power than my GPS draws, so the circuit isn't overdrawn threatening a failure. And the windows aren't used for more than a few seconds at a time so that circuit is relatively unused.

And my cigarette lighter remains free to charge my phone or a 2nd Garmin that I sometimes use on trips that I set on the speedometer screen to watch mileage to destination, turns, times, and speed. So the lighter socket gets used sometimes. LOL, 2 GPS's on the dash: I'm a nerd.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

addendum to previous post:

I picked up from a wrecking yard, an actual "power" socket (not cigarette lighter socket) and it's rubber "Power Socket" stopper/plug that goes in when not being used. It came from a newer small Chevy, like a Cruz.

If I'd have had this before I made my own solution, I'd have used this whole assembly under the dash instead of my made up socket. I do use the "Power Socket" stopper though. My original lighter is in the bottom of the console.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #11
fourthwall
fourthwall is a jewel in the roughfourthwall is a jewel in the roughfourthwall is a jewel in the rough

Hi, there is indeed a specific fuse for the 12V on most Saturns. My 2001 SL2 has one in the kick panel by the passenger footwell. It burned out on me on a roadtrip once, and that was the only failure that fuse was responsible for.
fourthwall is offline   Reply With Quote