SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
npereza5
npereza5 is on a distinguished road

Default instrument dimmer and radio not working

Just got an 2001 L200, I love it and its shockingly a lot like the cadillac catera even to the interior trim. I currently dont have instrument cluster lights and the radio is not powering on at all. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Any ideas as to what could be the problem.

Side note the lock button only unlocks and locks the driver door. Not sure if its related or not.

Last edited by npereza5; 05-30-2014 at 11:21 AM.
npereza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: instrument dimmer and radio not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by npereza5 View Post
Just got an 2001 L200, I love it and its shockingly a lot like the cadillac catera even to the interior trim.
You're right. It's because they're built from the same Opel platform.
Quote:
I currently dont have instrument cluster lights and the radio is not powering on at all. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Any ideas as to what could be the problem.
At your car's age you could have all of the bulbs burned out, or a bad switch. If you had a bad switch then you should be getting no illumination at the other accessories in the dash either - the radio and HVAC console. Do those items illuminate when the switch is on? I'd be more inclined to expect burned out bulbs. As for the radio, can you confirm that power is getting to the radio itself?

Quote:
Side note the lock button only unlocks and locks the driver door. Not sure if its related or not.
I couldn't say whether it's related or not, but I would treat it initially as if it's not (I tend to think it's unrelated). The interior driver's side door lock switch should unlock all of the doors. This is also true of the front passenger side door. Will all of the doors unlock when using the front passenger door lock switch? Do you have the OE remote lock fob switch? If so, can you open the door locks correctly with its use? First press of the door lock button unlocks the drivers door; second press of that button unlocks remaining doors.
334,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
npereza5

Thanks for the reply, Radio is not powering on. I was thinking to start at the switch too.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Radio is not powering on.
Yes, I understood that from the first post. My question was aimed at whether or not you have power at the connector to the radio.
Quote:
I was thinking to start at the switch too.
This sentence was connected to the radio not powering on. My reply to the original post was related to the dimmer switch, or headlight switch. Which switch are you referring to now? (...Just trying to be clear with the information.)
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
npereza5

Sorry, I must of miss understood. I will check for power at the fuse level if that check out than I'll move to hot wire the radio. In regards to the dimmer I hooked up my md802 and it shows switches and under I/P dimmer input at .63 volts when the dimmer switch is moved all the way up and a little over 4 volts when the switch is moved down. The I/P dimmer output always showed 0. Bcm wasn't pulling any codes.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The dimmer circuit is pulse width modulated - the bcm uses high speed pulses while modulating voltage to regulate panel lighting. The dimmer itself simply controls 5v to tell the bcm how much pulsing is needed to lower/raise panel lighting. Its all digital now.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
npereza5

So would that mean the switch is working and that problem may just be a bulb as the output is zero? Is the bulb or light able to be replaced or is it soldered into the cluster?
Old 05-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some indicators that are important are leds while the rest are plain bulbs. Turn signals, odometer, speedometer, backlighting are plain bulbs that can be replaced.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
npereza5

Well I have cluster to remove tonight than. Ill post back some results in the am. Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I know that I've replaced most, if not all, of the original bulbs on my dash console including the odometer bulb which is the only LED type among them. They're generally very long lasting items. Recently I decided to reduce the brightness with the dimmer so that the bulbs would last longer!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
npereza5

Yeah that sounds like a good idea to keep them living longer. I got the radio working ( didnt know there was a second radio fuse in the engine bay pdc). However the speakers are not working in a strange turn of events only the tweeters are giving off sound. I also saw a Park Lamp 10 amp fuse burnt and have replaced it 3 times and it burns out immediately. How can I track down the back ground?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just make sure when working on IP lights remove the Neg from the battery or else the Air bag might go off when your working on removing the IP to replace the bulbs. That air bag could be a costly repair and your insurance won't cover it if you caused it to go off and it wasn't a car accident. And the park lamp fuse blowing did you make sure it was the right fuse size? If it keeps blowing would indicate a short and you need to trace out the wiring and it could be at the shift lever area that the short is occurring - so does it blow the fuse when you park or when does it blow have you check on this?
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #13
npereza5

The fuse only blows when the headlights are turned on. I put a fuse in with the lights off and I place the car from drive to park, went out to check the fuse and it was still okay. Than I turned the headlights on and the fuse burnt out. Is this due to a bad headlight switch?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
The fuse only blows when the headlights are turned on. I put a fuse in with the lights off and I place the car from drive to park, went out to check the fuse and it was still okay. Than I turned the headlights on and the fuse burnt out. Is this due to a bad headlight switch?
Of course that's possible. It's also possible that there could be a bad wire that's causing the short. With regard to the combination turn signal/headlight switch: the OE part was known to get warm, or in some cases hot - very obvious to the touch as one feels the length of the turn signal arm. The OE switch in my car always heated up when the head lights were on though it never caused any operational problems.

I recently replaced it with a new AC Delco switch (made in Mexico) and this one behaves normally, not heating up. The principal reason I replaced the switch was due to the fact the neutral - center - position of it was very loose with a lot of play between the left and right detent positions. Something had been broken inside of it to allow that, but it wasn't the return-cancel springs. They were okay.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
npereza5

I'll start a the switch, maybe both switches the dimmer and the headlight switch. Ill post back some results on monday when the salvage yards are open to get some parts. I looked for the ac delco switch and it looked like $250 on autozone...? strange.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #16
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
I'll start a the switch, maybe both switches the dimmer and the headlight switch. Ill post back some results on monday when the salvage yards are open to get some parts. I looked for the ac delco switch and it looked like $250 on autozone...? strange.
I bought a new dimmer switch for $25 on Ebay. I would try rockauto or any second-hand resale website before paying $250 for a flipping switch (haha, get it?).
[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #17
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Is the radio still OEM or has it been replaced? If it has been replaced you should double check the radio wiring. Specifically, make sure the Park Lamp voltage wire (brown) is hooked up correctly or properly capped off if it is not used.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 50K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Which switch was adveritsed for that price, the turnsignal/headlight combination switch or the dimmer switch? I just looked up the combination switch for an '01 L200 at Autozone and it was priced at $41.99 for their Duralast brand, p/n SW2118, the only brand offered. Autozone doesn't show the actual dimmer switch for the L Series cars by application. It merely refers back to the combination switch.

I bought combination the switch through Amazon.com and it was under $20.00. I don't see any advantage to purchasing the turn signal/headlight combination switch from a wrecking yard. If you need it in a hurry, well, I can understand. Then again, one could pay for expedited shipping. I think you're better off purchasing a new part.