SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Nargauzius
Nargauzius is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Performance Suspension Kit

My new Sky arrived on 16-Aug, and I got my first test drive. Left it with the dealer to have all the dealer installed options installed (pretty much got everything except the luggage rack, spoiler, and XM) on my new green/tan automatic. Saturday came and the suspension kit still hadn't arrived from the warehouse so I took it home and had fun driving all over creation for the rest of the weekend.

Brought it back on Monday and had the performance suspension kit put on, tonneau cover installed, and the molded mud flaps. Took it home (about half a mile) and parked it because I had to pick up people at the airport (and just where do you put a single medium suitcase according to that "fits 2-4 bags" claim at the auto-show?). Heehee.

Drove it to work and around town the next day, and I felt every piece of gravel in the road, got bounced out of my seat just going around the neighborhood, and the steering has gone soft. Wow, what a let down!

This performance suspension kit has taken all the fun out of the ride. It feels like I'm riding in my two year-old nephew's little red wagon. I'm hoping to have it removed and put back to the factory suspension this week.

Anyone else have experiences with the performance suspension kit? I expected it to be tighter, and maybe to feel some rigidity on the road, but nothing like this horror.

==Paul>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nargauzius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nargauzius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nargauzius is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
PlutoZePlin
PlutoZePlin is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Performance Suspension Kit

Mine as well has the performance suspension and yes I feel a lot of the bumps in the road, but I just figured it was due to the car sitting so low and it being a "sports car" and all. I haven't noticed a softness in the steering though. Did you notice any difference between the two when going through a turn? The performance suspension is supposed to help in that aspect, although I could be wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlutoZePlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlutoZePlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlutoZePlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
VuedIt
VuedIt is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

did it lower the vehilce any, and if its a performance suspension upgrade it is going to be a stiffer rougher ride, anytime u deviate from the factory settings and move up to a lower more performance setup its give in take with ride quality and performance, the car probally hooks up better but ride is rougher, it probally corners alot better with less rollover and understeer but ur giving up some of that quiet gentle setting.

2004 Mazda 6i with the auto/stick tranny
2006 Vue 2.2 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VuedIt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VuedIt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VuedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Nargauzius

Dazed Re: Performance Suspension Kit

No, it didn't lower the car any that I can see. Yes, I expected it to be a stiffer ride, but I did NOT expect to feel every pebble in the road, be bounced out of my seat, and watch the hood tremble with the road surface. As far as cornering, the steering is softer, but there is virtually no difference between the factory steering and the "performance" kit when driving hard. It just feels 20% mushy when not driving hard like I have to over-steer. We're talking the difference between not even noticing that I drove over a slightly raised manhole cover except for the sound of the tire thump with the factory suspension, and smashing my teeth together with the new suspension. I'm not on a racetrack, so I don't need to feel it in my seat when I move across a painted line in the road.

This car feels so wide that I doubt I could roll it if I tried, unless I went off an incline, and with the 18 inch low profile tires from Bridgestone, I don't even get a squeak in a polished concrete garage as far as sideways grip.

Regardless, the performance suspension kit is coming OFF or I am returning the car entirely, and I waited for 3 years to get my green/tan Sky. I left it at the dealer until they get the authorization to return the new suspension because I won't drive it like this. It's so embarrassing that I wouldn't give anyone a ride with the new suspension because it feels so unpleasant. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/images/smilies/no.gif

The service guy acted like I was an idiot when I asked if the new suspension was adjustable and they had put it at a setting too rough for city driving.

When I called corporate Saturn customer care, I noted that there was no way to know the difference beforehand. You can't even test drive a Sky until the day your order arrives, right before you sign the paperwork. And since the performance kit is a dealer add-on, you'll never get to try that unless you buy it and install it first.

I'm hoping that by the time I get back from my short trip this weekend, it'll be back to factory default and I can once again be delighted with my Sky.

==Paul>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nargauzius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
SaturnGuy3
SaturnGuy3 is on a distinguished road

Did you check the tire pressure? I know that when my tires were at 40-45 PSI - the ride was more rough.

My SKY: 2007 SKY Manual - Yellow with Black Leather, Chrome, LSD, Spoiler, 6CD Monsoon, XM .

SKY On Order - 07 Redline - White with Black/Red Leather. 6CD Monsoon, XM , and Spoiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnGuy3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnGuy3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
Nargauzius

No, I didn't check the tire pressure. I presume, hopefully correctly, that the Saturn dealer wouldn't let the car out without making sure they checked all the specs in the instructions for installing the kit. They're very by-the-book with the Sky because no one has enough experience to make their own judgements on what tweak might work better. They even asked me to tell them if I came up with any tips as an owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Since it is advertised as a RACE suspension kit, what did you expect, smoothness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
Nargauzius

Dizzy Re: Performance Suspension Kit

I don't know where you saw it advertised as a "race" suspension kit.

Saturn quotes "The performance suspension kit allows the SKY to carve tighter corners with even more precision. Includes front and rear stabilizer bars, bushings, and sport-tuned, coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks."

I don't see anything about racing there, just better stability, tighter cornering, and fancy shocks.

The factory suspension is described as "Four wheel independent SLA suspension with coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks. The SKY's suspension offers up a comfortable yet solid ride, responsive handling, and confidence-inspiring control. It also helps keep you, the driver, in-tune with the current road conditions."

Pretty vague either way. And all the more reason we need test drive availability!

==Paul>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
SaturnGuy3
SaturnGuy3 is on a distinguished road

I would check your tire pressure - or adjust it downward slightly - that may help you with a smoother ride.

I definitely did notice a difference in the ride of the SKY after I put my suspension kit on my SKY - but I LOVED the handling characteristics of my SKY after the upgrade.

Check the tires.

My SKY: 2007 SKY Manual - Yellow with Black Leather, Chrome, LSD, Spoiler, 6CD Monsoon, XM .

SKY On Order - 07 Redline - White with Black/Red Leather. 6CD Monsoon, XM , and Spoiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnGuy3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnGuy3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
VuedIt
VuedIt is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

so basicly ur saying its riding like a log wagon rough, cause if thats the case something isnt right even a suspension kit wouldnt be that horrible unless u was sitting on ur bump stops and i highly doubt that. tire pressure is one thing id check, but if its that rough something else is probally going on and id take it back to the dealer and have one of the service managers ride along with u so u can explain what and what not ur feeling.

2004 Mazda 6i with the auto/stick tranny
2006 Vue 2.2 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VuedIt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VuedIt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VuedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Cornholio123
Cornholio123 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
Checkered Flag Re: Performance Suspension Kit

Nargauzius,

I'm sorry to read about your experience, but I thank you very much for this post. I have been thinking about getting the performance suspension and now I know that I will NOT be getting it.

I hope it all works out for you.

2004 ION Redline - Just traded in this for my new Sky.
2005 Relay 3 - My wife loves it!
2007 Sky (Midnight Blue, LSD, Upgraded Stereo, XM, Spoiler, Polished wheels) - This car is GREAT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cornholio123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cornholio123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cornholio123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargauzius

Saturn quotes "The performance suspension kit allows the SKY to carve tighter corners with even more precision. Includes front and rear stabilizer bars, bushings, and sport-tuned, coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks."

I don't see anything about racing there, just better stability, tighter cornering, and fancy shocks.
https://www.saturnparts.com/product_...oducts_id/1137

Regardless, aftermarket suspesions will always ride stiffer than factor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Nargauzius

Well, just waiting for some replacement bushings now and the factory suspension will be back on the car and I will be happy again. Which now means I have a performance suspension kit for sale (at a discount) if you like feeling the paint lines in the road when you cross them.

I wouldn't lower the air pressure in the tires to fix the problem. They're expensive enough. I don't want to wear them out faster by underinflating them.

==Paul>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

It is probably too late to do it now, but you would probably have been better off to leave the performance pieces on except for the springs and shocks. I think the sway bars probably help the cornering, it is just springs and shocks that are too stiff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russ Bellinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
JPDucketts
JPDucketts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargauzius
you saw it here.... https://www.saturnparts.com/product_...oducts_id/1137

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPDucketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPDucketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JPDucketts is offline   Reply With Quote