SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #1
Thenewguy
Thenewguy is on a distinguished road

Default New to the Saturn family

Hey all. I have been having problems posting, but here it goes, I'll try it again.

I still sort of in disbelief that I just traded in the vehicle that I loved almost as much as my wife for a new storm Gray Ion 3. My vehicle love was an 01 GMC 4dr fullsize pickup. Man I loved that truck. That being said, I just started a job that includes a car to take home, so I found myslef putting less than 20 miles a week on the truck. Doing the math, I couldn't justify a $413 a month payment on it anymore so here I am driving a nice economical car.

Not to have any misunderstandings, I like the car very much. it rides just fine, the ION 3 has excellent standard options, and the price was simply fantastic. Without passing one dollar out of my check book I am paying less than $250 a month for only 48 months. Can't Beat it!

I am having a hard time understanding why there are so many people that simply hate the car. I had no illusions about the car when I was looking to buy it. I didn't think I was buying a "Diet BMW." This is a good economical car that has some pretty darn decent styling. I think too many people forget just what it is they are looking at when they form opinions about cars.

The bootom line? I am happy with my car, and I think it is a great ride! Thanks for the forum. It is a good outlet for Saturn owners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thenewguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thenewguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
yellekkelurock
yellekkelurock is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Welcome to the Saturn fam!! We really don't know why or what makes people not like the car. I guess they have nothing else to complain about. But hey as long as you love it, that's all that matters!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yellekkelurock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yellekkelurock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

It's just popular for the automotive journalists to bash Saturns. I sometimes wonder if deep down inside, they feel that IONs are really pretty decent cars but have to take the standard approach in their review. It's almost like an echo reverberating off slick canyon walls...it just goes on and on. I don't know why they just don't write "What he said" in their reviews and leave it at that... -the center IP, the small wheel, blah, blah. They all say the same thing. Anyone who's driven one for a day knows these are really great features. That this car has some scoot and corners pretty well. You get used to the negative reviews. Most folks know nothing about Saturns so take the negative with a grain of salt. And welcome into the fold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Welcome to the Saturn Family. Nice choice in color and trim level for your Ion. It sounds like you are saving some $$$ at the end of the month, and that is the name of the game. I wish you just as much happiness and fun driving as I have with my Ion...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:30 AM   #5
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Welcome to the boards!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:33 AM   #6
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your new ION & welcome to the boards!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
SoggyB
SoggyB is on a distinguished road

I just got a storm grey Ion 3 myself. Very sharp looking I must say. I've gotten many compliments so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoggyB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoggyB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: New to the Saturn family

Quote:
Originally posted by Thenewguy

The bootom line? I am happy with my car, and I think it is a great ride! Thanks for the forum. It is a good outlet for Saturn owners.
That's all that matters.
Welcome to SaturnFans & enjoy the ride.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:58 PM   #9
zallen777
Advanced Member
zallen777 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XR

Welcome to a very nice group of people and cars!!!!

[url]http://www.zallenmusic.com[/url]
[url]http://zallenart.googlepages.com[/url]

2007 Aura XE
2007 AuraXR
05 Vue 5 spd manual
03 ION 3 Sedan Cranberry
03 ION 2 Sedan Black
99 SC2 Blkberry
95 SC2 Red

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zallen777's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zallen777 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2003, 01:13 AM   #10
ElPasoION
ElPasoION is on a distinguished road

Thenewguy--

Congrats on getting a new car. Love that new car smell!

Just a few words of advice:
(1) If you've only had the car for a few days, run it through its paces. Take it over bumpy roads and listen for any squeaks and rattles. If it has them, they'll get worse, so it's best to make note of them now.
(2) Pull down the rear seats and listen to the trunk latch as you drive. Once again, listen for squeaks and rattles. I ignored this on my first ION, and then, without warning, the trunk would pop open whenever I went over any kind of bump--not fun when it happens on a freeway!
(3) Listen for thumping under the car or any odd noises under the car.
(4) Find some empty space and put the steering through its paces and see how it responds; sluggish? Stiff? If it does something you don't feel comfortable with, make note of it.
(5) Ditto with the transmission.
(5) Watch out for your tinting. It might be getting all scraped up.

Do this before you hit 1500 miles or 30 days. If you see a few of these problems pop up, you may want to exchange it for a new ION. Lots of people have mentioned the aforementioned problems, so it's good to keep track of how your car is doing.

No, I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just passing on some useful info that I learned from my ION experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ElPasoION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ElPasoION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #11
Thenewguy
Thenewguy is on a distinguished road

Default Not scaring me at all.

It is always a good idea to do those things you mentioned. I have been doing that out of habit. However, NEVER put the car through it's paces in the first 500 miles. That is dangerous to do to an engine while it is still breaking in.

On that note, there are many problems that can be avoided by simply changing your oil after the first 500 miles. I can't figure out why most dealers don't recommend this more. It costs 20 bucks and can save you alifetime of headaches. There s sediment in the lines and cases of an engine. These get stirred up during the first 500 miles. Change the oil, then again at 3000 and I assure you that it will run much better than you expected later on it's life cycle. That doesn'y fix probs with the interiror squeeks, but it will minimize the expensive/lengthy engine repairs....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thenewguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thenewguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #12
AjaxSL2Guy
AjaxSL2Guy is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Welcome to the boards!!! Congrats on the ION too - storm gray is NICE!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AjaxSL2Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AjaxSL2Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread