SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
EchoMirage
EchoMirage has a spectacular aura aboutEchoMirage has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2
Default no crank, good battery

first time it let me down since buying it.....95 sl2 auto, now has 42k miles. went to lunch at work, started fine, went to leave, and it wont crank. good battery, accessories work, its not getting juice to the starter. thinking ignition switch or neutral safety switch.

as it happens the tow truck driver had several saturns, and had to replace the ignition switch in every single one of them. before i order, any thoughts as to which it could be? is the ignition switch common enough that i should go ahead with that one? i jiggled both the key, and the shifter in park/neutral, and neither worked.

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty
95 SL2 bought in 8/14 with 23K original miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EchoMirage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: no crank, good battery

Ignition switches are not a common problem to Saturns. Can you crawl under the car to measure the START signal for voltage on the starter? This may be the best way to test the ignition switch, wiring and Park.Neutral safety switch all at once. The starter has one small gauge purple wire that the ignition switch sends 12v power to the starter solenoid. Disconnecting this purple wire (safety while under the car) will allow you to measure it for 12 volts when someone turns the ignition switch to the START position; 12 volts should be on this wire as long as the key is held in START. Either you have 12v on this wire or not. No 12v = starting circuit problem. 12v on this wire = faulty starter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StarterOld.jpg (158.6 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Stick with Fdryer's advice.

No one I know has ever replaced any Saturn ignition switch, let alone with just 42K miles on it.

Besides, how long have you owned it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

I have replaced an ignition switch, but it would start the car OK, it was just fussy to get the key turning. Yeah, "go to the PPL wire"...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

^ what they said.

Load test the battery and measure voltages before throwing parts and labor at the problem.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post

Besides, how long have you owned it?

year and a half.

the starter isnt getting juice. when i turn the key with the lights on, they dont dim. the neutral switch seems alot easier to change then ignition, ill try that first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Troubleshoot this using fdryer's advice, but it sounds like you have a bad starter with a dead spot to me. The starter only draws power when it's engaged. Since the dead spot prevents the starter from engaging, you won't see the headlights dim.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

i hit the starter with a hammer, and it cranked right over. took it out, left the battery disconnected for a week. replaced the starter just now....i ordered a valeo unit from rock, but i got something called a TYC.

hooked everything up; now, both my original starter and the new one have the post for the purple wire on the opposite side as the picture posted. theres still only 3 posts, and only one post the purple wire can hook to.

now it cranks, but WONT start. itll struggle, pop once or so, and keep cranking but no start.

does the battery being off a week have anything to do with it? it still has a full charge, everything else is the same. all i did was swap the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The battery being on standby does not affect why the engine won't start. It has more than enough capacity to power the starter motor so this is another problem. There are several things to try.

One is holding pedal to the floor and try starting again. The engine may have flooded with several failed starting attempts now that the starter was replaced. There's only one reason for flooding; the original two wire coolant sensor is made of plastic with a brass shell for mounting to the engine. Remove it for examination. Below are the two sensors with the flat nosed brass one the correct replacement to stop flooding and rich running problems.

Other issues may be related to spark or fuel pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic-brass cts.jpg (82.6 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

has to be no spark. i check the air filter, and tried spraying starting fluid directly into the throttle body, and nothing. didnt kick over at all. the ECT sensor was replaced last year with a brass one.

could i have knocked some wire or plug out? did something else just happen to break during this time?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

well damn......floored the gas, and it started. ran rough, and its currently smoking out my garage, but its running right now. could the ECT still have gone bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

OK, if spark failed when starting fluid was sprayed, check for a blown fuse. To be absolutely sure spark failed, perform a spark test with coil wires remove. Have someone crank the engine while you observe for spark across the coil towers. And be sure fuel is injected; check for fuel at the test valve and remove spark plugs to check for fuel on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #13
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

well its starting and running normally now, so i guess it was flooded. but does that mean the ECT went bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Only if the connector is corroded from the original leaking coolant into the connections. If spark plugs weren't replaced, remove and examine them for wear and replace as necessary. If several starting attempts were made without the engine firing up, too much gas is injected to flood the engine. The reliability of EFI systems is recognizable by the instant start up in any weather condition as long as maintenance is kept up (plugs, wires, oil, etc).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #15
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

plugs and wires were new at some point before i bought the car. the wires still look new, and i put about 20k miles since i bought it last august. the plugs still looked like new when i pulled one several months ago. at some point i was planning on doing new plugs anyway, just so i know when i put new ones in. the service history was fairly up to date when i bought the car, and even if it wasnt, it only had 23k miles when i bought it.

maybe it was just a fluke that it flooded this one time. ill see how it goes this week when i can finally drive it daily again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!