SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
07GLowner2
07GLowner2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2007 VUE Green Line
Post 2007 Green Line Emission Recall

Got a "Voluntary emission recall" notice in today's mail.

"Reason for This Recall: The recall includes all 2007 model year Saturn AURA Green Line Hybrid and VUE Green Line Hybrid vehicles and certain 2008 model year Saturn AURA Green Line Hybrid vehicles. There may be a voltage imbalance within the hybrid battery. If the imbalance exceeds 0.6 volts, the check engine light will illuminate and hybrid function will be disabled. If this occurs, the charge/assist gauge would show no movement, the feul economy light (ECO) would not illuminate, and the vehicle would be powered by the gasoline engine only.

What will be done: Your Saturn retailer will replace the three hybrid cassettes within the battery assembly. This one-time service will be performed for you at no charge within a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date your vehicle was placed in service.

How long will the repair take? Because of service scheduling requirements, it is likely that your retailer will need your vehicle longer than the actual service correction time of approximately 2 to 3 hours."

Anyone else get the notice? Would the "three hybrid cassettes" actually be the hybrid battery itself?

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 07GLowner2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 07GLowner2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
07GLowner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
rmanke
rmanke is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 Green Line Emission Recall

Is this different than the recall that happened last year?

I have been having problems with the hybrid batteries since I took my vehicle in for the last recall. (In November I believe?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rmanke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rmanke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rmanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
wxgirl
wxgirl is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
2009 Astra XR

I haven't gotten this notice yet. Does it say that they will replace these battery cassettes even if they don't find a problem on your vehicle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wxgirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wxgirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
07GLowner2

2000 SL2
2007 VUE Green Line
Wrench Re: 2007 Green Line Emission Recall

Its a different recall from the one that came out last year.

The wording of the notice indicates that "the three hybrid cassettes" in the battery assembly will be replaced. I guess that would mean the battery.

The back side of the notice indicates that, for California, at least, the repair has to be completed before one can renew their vehicle registration.

Was planning on having other stuff done after the first of next month, so this will be added to the work order...

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 07GLowner2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
rmanke

Is there a place online to view Saturn recalls, so I can find out if it is valid in Canada?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rmanke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
WhiteEagle
WhiteEagle is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

With regard to this recall, the other night I got a call from the Saturn dealership saying that there was a recall and they wanted to schedule me for an appointment to have my car checked out. I was surprised, one, because the dealership called and two, because I'd already had the battery replaced. I pointed that out to them but they said that all the hybrids will be checked even those that had the battery replace.

So today Saturn had a look at my Vue and it turns out that the battery needs to be replaced. Like I said, I'd had the battery replaced already but apparently it was replaced with an "old design" new battery and now they want to put in the "new design" new battery.

The car goes in this Tuesday. I'll let you know how things go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhiteEagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhiteEagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxgirl View Post
I haven't gotten this notice yet. Does it say that they will replace these battery cassettes even if they don't find a problem on your vehicle?
To maintain the supply chain, this recall is being done in phases- so you might not get a letter until a later date. Yes, it applies to even if there is not current concern on all 2007 and some 2008 Vue and Aura Greenline models.
HTH
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanke View Post
Is there a place online to view Saturn recalls, so I can find out if it is valid in Canada?
Yes, this campaign includes Canadian Greenline models.
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
With regard to this recall, the other night I got a call from the Saturn dealership saying that there was a recall and they wanted to schedule me for an appointment to have my car checked out. I was surprised, one, because the dealership called and two, because I'd already had the battery replaced. I pointed that out to them but they said that all the hybrids will be checked even those that had the battery replace.

So today Saturn had a look at my Vue and it turns out that the battery needs to be replaced. Like I said, I'd had the battery replaced already but apparently it was replaced with an "old design" new battery and now they want to put in the "new design" new battery.

The car goes in this Tuesday. I'll let you know how things go.
That is correct. According to the campaign procedure, the dealership is supposed to initially check your previous warranty service history to determine if you already have the latest battery part numbers.
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
07GLowner2

2000 SL2
2007 VUE Green Line
Thumbs Up Re: 2007 Green Line Emission Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
To maintain the supply chain, this recall is being done in phases- so you might not get a letter until a later date. Yes, it applies to even if there is not current concern on all 2007 and some 2008 Vue and Aura Greenline models.
HTH
WopOnTour
WOT, Thanks for the additional infomation.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #11
rmanke

Thanks so much for the information!

Is there a public GM or government site that lists the details on Saturn recalls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the information!

Is there a public GM or government site that lists the details on Saturn recalls?
There are some publically accessible NHTSA databases for safety campaign and recalls http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/ and EPA databases for emission campaigns/recalls http://www.epa.gov/otaq/recall.htm
But due to OE compliance and reporting structures the data from these services generally lag significantly from "live" OE service databases and currently active scenarios that exist. Often customers will receive letters long before any government record of the recall (or campaign as GM calls them)

The current BAS battery campaign officially falls under the category of an emission campaign, so EVENTUALLY it should make it into the EPA list but...
HTH
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
rmanke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
There are some publically accessible NHTSA databases for safety campaign and recalls http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/ and EPA databases for emission campaigns/recalls http://www.epa.gov/otaq/recall.htm
But due to OE compliance and reporting structures the data from these services generally lag significantly from "live" OE service databases and currently active scenarios that exist. Often customers will receive letters long before any government record of the recall (or campaign as GM calls them)
No kidding! They don't even list any recalls for the Vue at all! (They aren't even listed as a Saturn model...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
No kidding! They don't even list any recalls for the Vue at all! (They aren't even listed as a Saturn model...)
This might be due to the fact that the previous Vue GL recalls were "Customer Satisfaction" campaigns and not subject to any sort of reporting compliance. If you are referring to Techncial Service Bulletins (TSBs) that's a whole other matter. AFAIK there are certain on-line "user pay" services for TSBs, but these are NOT recalls and not subject to the same public release requirements. You can actually purchase daily/monthly or annual subscriptions to the GM Global Service Information (which includes TSBs AND the genuine electronic shop/service manuals) thru AC Delco Techconnect
http://acdelcotechconnect.com/html/tss_tech_esi.jsp

WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
rmanke

Thank you very much for all of the information!

I took my vehicle in because the check engine light was illuminated, and the fact that the engine was not shutting off at lights or when I stop.

They reported back that the error messages were "Voltage" indicators. They reset the computer and said it was because of the cold weather... well, now the check engine light is on again and I am getting pretty upset. This is the third time I have taken the vehicle in for this problem, and the dealer keeps telling me everything is fine.

I am upset because I bought a hybrid, and the hybrid components don't really seem to be doing their job. It's also costing me money. I expected better gas mileage than I am getting, based on Saturn's gas mileage claims - especially since I paid a fair bit more for the hybrid and had to make other compromises too.

I don't think they should be allowed to just pretend everything is fine. I am hoping this recall comes to Canada soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for all of the information!

I took my vehicle in because the check engine light was illuminated, and the fact that the engine was not shutting off at lights or when I stop.

They reported back that the error messages were "Voltage" indicators. They reset the computer and said it was because of the cold weather... well, now the check engine light is on again and I am getting pretty upset. This is the third time I have taken the vehicle in for this problem, and the dealer keeps telling me everything is fine.

I am upset because I bought a hybrid, and the hybrid components don't really seem to be doing their job. It's also costing me money. I expected better gas mileage than I am getting, based on Saturn's gas mileage claims - especially since I paid a fair bit more for the hybrid and had to make other compromises too.

I don't think they should be allowed to just pretend everything is fine. I am hoping this recall comes to Canada soon.
If you're havng problems, I would immediately just call your dealer and give them the last 8 digits of your serial number. Tell them you are having repeated check engine lamps (CEL) and issues with Auto-Start/Stop and you have been "informed" that there was a new campaign #07318 released Feb 11 that appears to address such issues.

They can then run the VIN through the on-line database (only takes a couple of minutes) and immediately determine whether or not your vehicle is currently subject to the most recent "voltage imbalance/replace battery" campaign/recall.

If it is, given your current issues, you certainly shouldnt have to WAIT for the letter and can immediately set up an appointment to have it completed.
Unless there's somethin ELSE amiss I'm pretty sure the new NiMH batteries AND a reflash to the latest calibrations for the Engine Control Module (ECM), Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Starter/Generator Control Module (SGCM) will return you to a state of complete satisfaction.

In any case, f you have had a CEL in the past, please feel free to report back here with the actual DTCs listed from your copy of the repair order and we can see if there's something else going on.

HTH
Regards
WOT

Last edited by WopOnTour; 02-25-2008 at 03:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
rmanke

I called them, and they checked their database and said there were no recalls on my vehicle other than the one from last year where they changed the wiring harness.

After that recall is when most of my problems started. How do I know if they installed the wiring harness correctly, and it didn't cause more problems? All I know is that the vehicle hasn't been doing proper start/stop operations ever since.

When I took it in for the engine light, they said the code indicators were:
- B1325 - Voltage
- P0AF8 - Voltage

Also, they said the voltage on my battery was 13.14 volts. Is that about normal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

If the CEL is coming on- there's something wrong, plain and simple. There is no substantiation for blaming the weather or phases of the moon.
The B1325 DTC from your last visit appears to be related to the 12V charging system (the revised harness might have addressed this) and the P0AF8 is often set in error during service when the IGN is turned ON while the 36V batteries have been disabled via the service disconnect process.

HOWEVER IF THE P0AF8 is the DTC that has returned (since you claim you are getting a CEL again there should be another DTC set but not necessarily the same one), you may have a problem with your 36V battery connections (most likely since it seems intermittent) , wiring and high voltage contactors within the battery box, or with the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) itself. At the minimum (and AFTER disabling the system and wearing all necessary personal protective/safety equipment) the 36V positive and negative connections at the 36V battery box, X405 36V+ inline connection, and at the SGCM should all be disassembled, inspected for damage, and reassembled and re-torqued to specifications.

HOWEVER
This latest recall pertains to ALL 2007 VUE Greenline models from VIN (last 8 digits) 7S800023 thru 7S880949 UNLESS your 36V battery cassettes had already been replaced sometime in the last few months with the latest part numbers (PN# 25953382 or 25964892 for the VUE GL)
It also pertains to ALL 2007 Aura Greenline models, but only some "early build" 2008 Greenline VUEs and Auras. But again ONLY if the batteries have not been changed with the previously listed specific part numbers.

So if this is NOT the case with YOUR Vue, I suggest you call or visit your service manager and given your problems ask him/her to carefully review the details of the most recent recall #07318 . If he/she correctly interprets the information, you have a 2007 model Greenline AND you haven't had your battery replaced already, they should still be able to phone it in and get corporate zone service rep approval to perform the campaign despite it not being "officially" listed against your VIN as of yet. As I mentioned previously, this recall is being rolled out in "phases" to insure adequate parts supply, but nobody with a vehicle that is CERTAIN to be eventually included in the recall, should have to WAIT if they are experiences current problems with their 36V source. I have no doubt that you EVENTUALLY will get a letter but given your current issues, they should be prepared to rectify it NOW.

Also during the previous recall for the harness, they SHOULD have updated the various modules involved (at least the ECM and TCM) to the most recent software as part of the procedure, but you may want to ask for confirmation that was done. The easiest way to confirm it is to attempt to reflash them again and observe if they "latest" calibration file numbers match what the Service Programming System system "wants" to install.

HTH
WopOnTour

Last edited by WopOnTour; 02-25-2008 at 05:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #19
rmanke

This gets more interesting every day!

Now, my dealer is telling me that Saturn has informed them that this recall is a made-up internet rumour, and that there is no recall (or, more specifically, there hasn't been one since last years recall).

Now, I am feeling like I really need to get to the bottom of this. It's like a big mystery!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Mystery? For Sure!!
It's a mystery to me how your dealer has managedto stay in business!! LOL

All theyneed to do is go into the Electronic Service Information system, select "Number Search" (the icon that looks like a pair of binoculars) and type "07318" in the "Bulletin/Campaign" field and click on "Search" (or hit ENTER)

Alternatively they could set up ESI for your 2007 VUE , navigate directly to "Campaigns" then select the 2nd level topic "Product Emission" (it's the only one under that heading)
The "other" campaign for the resolver harness is actually found under the 2nd Level Topic "Customer Satisfaction"
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!