SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 10-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
BRION
BRION is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Hmm.. Help please.

Well I've had my Ion QC for about 8 months and have put over 17K miles on it in that time. It now has 64xxx on the clock. Overall, I really like the car. I am having a couple problems that I need opinions on though. The main one is when I'm sitting still, just at idle, the engine shakes. Not as in misfires, it kinda feels like when you let off the clutch without enough gas. I'm thinking maybe motor mounts? Any ideas?

Other than that, I have to replace swaybar bushings, the heater fan is making the 'normal' click/buzz, and there is a very annoying dash rattle on the drivers side of the dash.

Are the sway bushings a dealer only part?
2004 Saturn Ion QC2. 2.2Ecotec, 5speed. Mods to come..

1991 GMC Sonoma ST. Reg cab, short bed, 4.3L w/chip, 5speed. Dropped 2", Boyd rims, true duals with X-pipe.. 406sbc being built...
BRION is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hmm.. Help please.

To the best of my knowledge, only the dealer will have the bushings that you'll want to put on your car. As far as the engine goes, the shake, you say it feels like it's running out of gas... does it do this all the time, or when the A/C compressor is cycling on? Might want to check on what's actually making the engine spin (fuel, ignition, cylinder pressure) and see if that's got a problem before going with the mounts. I haven't seen a single engine mount replaced on an Ion yet.
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
BRION

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The shake is more of a sound thing I think. It sounds kinda like a knocking, but not an internal knock. I guess it's similar to when the A/C comp cycles, but it does it when it's not on. Also the sound is more likely to happen when the car is warmed up, or when it's been idleing for a while. I'm clueless here and I don't really want to pay diag charges.

1991 GMC Sonoma ST. Reg cab, short bed, 4.3L w/chip, 5speed. Dropped 2", Boyd rims, true duals with X-pipe.. 406sbc being built...
Old 10-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

I know that my car makes some valve noise when it's idling, has a bit of an erratic idle, but that's probably because I've done a buttload of breathing mods that make everything the car does louder. Have you tried idling the car with the hood open, look and listen there? I'd like to help you more, but it's been years since my car was stock so what's noticeable to you is probably buried under engine noise for me. The dealer isn't so bad, you know.
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
BRION

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Well I finally figured out what that noise at idle is. It is my hood rattling. Sounds weird, but it is the front part of my hood vibrating. I need to look at the latch I guess and see whats goin on with it. At least it is nothing serious. Now all I have to do is change out those sway bar bushings and get some new tires for it. It still has the stock firestones.. 64K.. yeah, they need replaced.. lol.