SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Monkius
Advanced Member
Monkius is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default Strut bar/alignment really needed?

I've heard a few times on here that you need an alignment after installing a strut tower brace. What I haven't heard is why. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that removing the top strut bolts would affect alignment much. I mean, how much can the strut move around? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
rbk
rbk is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: Strut bar/alignment really needed?

When I did my alignment on the weekend I asked the tech at saturn if it would affect it when I put on the strut bar and he said it would probably affect your TOE settings ONLY!! then I did not ask him why :P
2000' SL1

SPS Short Shifter
Front STB
Short Ram Intake
Eibach Pro Kit
KYB GR-2 Struts
17" Advanti Racing Tuner 6
205/40/17 Falken Ziex-512
Momo Shift Knob
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If you start really spreading the strut towers with the bar then the alignment could be affected. You would have to go pretty crazy to do that I would think. The only other way that you may change the alignment would be if the upper strut mount holes had been elongated for alignment purposes and the sturt shifted when you loosened the nuts off.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Monkius
Advanced Member
Monkius is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

hmm maybe I could find a way to finagle it on one bolt at a time lol
Monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkius
I've heard a few times on here that you need an alignment after installing a strut tower brace. What I haven't heard is why. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that removing the top strut bolts would affect alignment much. I mean, how much can the strut move around? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
you probably won't have to worry about an alignment for this, as long as you make sure that the front wheels are on the ground when you do it. saturn does recommend that you get new mounting nuts tho, since they are a single use item (the threads are pinched to hold a torque) but i've reused them before without incident...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote