SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 12-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Front upper strut mounts & link kits replacement

Thinking of replacing front upper strut mounts on my 01 L300. I had a suspension check done and the technician recommeded the replacement along with the link kits. Note that this technician is not a saturn mechanic. So, my question is whether this would help in improving the ride? 01 L300 came with the worst suspension ever put on a car and they softened it up later from 02 itseems. Will my car ride a little smoother apart from eliminating the clunking noises if I have this done?
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Front upper strut mounts & link kits replacement

Why did he recommend changing them?
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was hearing clunking noises for a while... so I took it to a mechanic. He hoisted the car up and showed me how the front coil over struts were easily movable by hand. Rear ones didnt budge at all. Link kits came into the picture because of wear factor. I have a new problem and am not sure if this is related to suspension. The car started to pull to the right and I tried putting more air in the front right which helped a tad bit but the problem is still there. I am not sure if the wheels are out of alignment or if its because of a faulty tire. Going to check it out on friday and was thinking of doing the suspension work as well.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I'm confused, the upper strut mount is just a hole in the strut tower, how you gonna replace a hole?
If you mean the upper part of the strut is worn, then yes, the big (bigger than most cars) rubber donuts wear and the top of the strut will move around in the hole and will clunk and clang as the top of the strut hits the sides of the tower. Only way to fix this is new struts.
Worn struts may improve the ride if the old struts have leaked and settled, if the struts are just worn and haven't leaked, it'll "soften" the ride and new struts will "firm" up the ride. Wonder why someone who likes a softer ride would buy a car with a firm sport suspension.
Can't help ya with the link kit, haven't a clue what that means. Link kit for what?
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo
I'm confused, the upper strut mount is just a hole in the strut tower, how you gonna replace a hole?
If you mean the upper part of the strut is worn, then yes, the big (bigger than most cars) rubber donuts wear and the top of the strut will move around in the hole and will clunk and clang as the top of the strut hits the sides of the tower. Only way to fix this is new struts.
Worn struts may improve the ride if the old struts have leaked and settled, if the struts are just worn and haven't leaked, it'll "soften" the ride and new struts will "firm" up the ride. Wonder why someone who likes a softer ride would buy a car with a firm sport suspension.
Can't help ya with the link kit, haven't a clue what that means. Link kit for what?
Thanks for the info... Will have the vehicle shown to another mechanic tomorrow. I would like to keep the old struts since they are still too firm for my taste. There is little or no play in the dampers if you push the car down. As far as my decision to buy this car with sport suspension... well.. you make mistakes when you are young.. 4.5 yrs ago, I didnt even bother checking clearly what was on the car. I have learnt my lesson very well. My next vehicle may just be a nice Buick (Hopefully they'll leave those cushy suspensions alone )
Old 12-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

The clunking when hitting bumps is the links. Cost me $130 installed. I had new struts put on my 2000 LS1 recently and the car rides better than new (New tires too). The struts were big $$
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Exactly what links are we talking about?
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Old 12-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #8
ricksLS1
Master Member

I think sway bars or links. I don't remember.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksLS1
The clunking when hitting bumps is the links. Cost me $130 installed. I had new struts put on my 2000 LS1 recently and the car rides better than new (New tires too). The struts were big $$
Rick,
At what mileage did you have the struts replaced and why? How much did it cost you? Mine is the L300 and am assuming that struts for these cost more than the fourbanger versions...
Old 12-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke
Rick,
At what mileage did you have the struts replaced and why? How much did it cost you? Mine is the L300 and am assuming that struts for these cost more than the fourbanger versions...
Good question.
May I add:
Are the L200 & L300 struts interchangeable?
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo
This got me thinking and was searching the web for front strut mounts (upper). I stumbled upon these...
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/KYB/Detail.html?sm5078.jpg
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/KYB/Detail.html?sb101.jpg
http://rep.racepages.com/parts/racep...ue&showdc=true

Any idea if this is what the mechanic was mentioning in the first place? Perhaps they are worn out and hence the front ones are moving around?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #12
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke
Any idea if this is what the mechanic was mentioning in the first place? Perhaps they are worn out and hence the front ones are moving around?
Most cars have a small hole for the front strut to mount to the tower, L's have a huge hole and the new struts will come with a big, 2 piece rubber donut to fill the hole. The first link you've got is an adapter that "fills" the huge hole so you can use the standard KYB strut. Don't know if it'll work with any other brand of strut and IMHO the KYB's are way overpriced for the L and don't improve the handling enough to warrant the expense (well, with the '02, L300 sport suspension anyway, haven't driven any other L with KYB's). The other 2nd link you've got is also for KYB specific install parts and probably won't do anything for the L unless you're installing KYB's, and I'm pretty sure you don't wanna do that because KYB's do stiffen the ride even more than stock sport suspension.
Don't know about the 3rd link, never seen the Moog part before, may be an answer to your question, but I'd wanna talk to someone who's used one before I spent almost $100 for the parts.
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
Old 12-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
ricksLS1
Master Member

I had the struts done at about 85,000 miles and 5 plus years. The car has never ridden better. KYB does not (or didn't at the time) make struts for the L. My local shop did the work. The struts alone were $125 each (Monroe) and I think 4 hours labor @ $80 per(It took more than 4 as one was hard to get off). An alignment was done too 4 wheel for $70 and they will do another free in 1 year. My wife is also impressed on how much better the car rides. I think many people don't realize or bother to do struts but you will notice the differnece when you hit bumps and how the car rides.

I really didn't want to do the struts but he suggested and I have to agree he was right.

Not sure that the struts on the 4 are the same as the 6 cyl.

We had this car on some really bad roads a few times on vacations
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Okay after much dilly dallying, I had the stabilizer link fixed which solved all the problems. Strut mounts were not required and that mechanic was wrong.. Glad I didnt go back to that place.. the front struts do have some movement in them by purpose itseems. Car has an improved ride (i.e. little or no clunking noises). The mechanic I went to today said that strut mounts were just fine.. and didnt require any replacement.

As for the pull, the front right tire was the culprit. Have to take it back to Firestone dealer (Dayton Quadra SE tires)... I had alignment done and I am thinking if the tire is at fault, then alignment was a waste of my money. Because after all, the alignment reduced but did not fix the drifting of the car to the right.

Oh, btw I finally had the door link fixed. It was making a creaking and a LOUD clicking noise when ever I had to open the door. The black plastic connector was cracked for a long time. Its a huge difference now... the door swings freely and not a peep from it...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
SD_guy
SD_guy is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2000 SL1

I just got a 2000 LW2 and noticed that the strut mounts moved when checking the tires at 12 and 6 position. It was stated that this is normal for these cars?

tks
todd
SD_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
s3nfo

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Need more info. What do you mean by "checking the tires at 12 and 6"? What part of the strut is moving, the top mount where the strut attaches to the wheel well or the bottom where the strut attaches to the top of the axle spindle?
Jerry N

Groucho Marx