SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 11-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
brad_ion03
brad_ion03 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Shift flare headache

The Greenville NC service dept. stinks! The only Saturn dealer within 100 miles of course. Three different people including myself left this dealer Monday disgusted. For one fellow, it was his third unresolved visit, and he had a 90 minute RT.

Not only do I have to take a day off just to visit the closest Saturn dealer (60 mi from where I work), but after an hour, they tell me I'll have to leave the car for "diagnostics." And of course they won't get started on that until after lunch.

Now, I've had it to this dealer a couple times and have spoken with the "Service" manager about the shift flare. He (and others I have spoken to about it) said it's no big deal and that it's a simple computer download to "fix" the problem (inadequacues of a really POOR design). Now they say it will take all afternoon.

Well, now I'm approaching the magic 36K and they appear to be making every excuse in the book NOT to fix it. The service manager even said, "Well, they all do that a little bit"!!! They also will not give me a loaner until they're sure there's a problem...... Hell, there's been a problem since I bought it, but they told me "It's not a big deal."

Then he tells me, "It sounds like your low on tranny fluid to me (suggesting that I've run the car low tranny fluid and it's my fault), have you checked the fluid level?" !!!!! So, I have to tell the Saturn Service Manager, the one who's supposed to help the mechanics do an initial diagnosis..... THERE IS NO TRANNY DIP STICK ON THIS VEHICLE!!!!!! How am I supposed check the fluid???? Did your tech check the fluid?!!!!

Man I've had it with this whole Saturn experience. Vent vent vent.......
brad_ion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
dion
dion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Shift flare headache

why dont u and your buddies complain to the big boys down in springhill? if your dealer doesnt care about customer service then u can damn sure get someone to make them
Release Your (import) Car's Energy-- Rycekits.com
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
bgsneeze
bgsneeze is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SL2

since the transaxle is computer controled there are updates to both the engine and transmission firmware. The dealership near me said that you should just make an appointment and they will hook it up to the computer for reprogramming. If you dearship will not do this, then to call Saturn directly:

Saturn Customer Assistance Center

100 Saturn Parkway
MD 371-999-S24
Spring Hill, TN 37174
(800) 553-6000

they should be able to help you. As a side note. the shift flare is common on 2003 and 2004 IONs even if youo get the updated firmware, the problem may not be totaly fixed. From my experience with other dealerships, dont be afraid to give them hell.
You say you just passed 100,000 miles.....well I guess it is time to take off the training wheels!
bgsneeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
jon2kSL2
jon2kSL2 is on a distinguished road

When I had my DRL recall service last March, I mentioned the shift flare (again) and they replaced the Valve body, and re-programmed the transmission. The relevant TSB had changed two days after my September 2004 transmission service. It's been very good since - I've put 10,000 miles on since the service.

I can't recall the specific TSB number, but there is a ION TSB list thread in the forums.

Jon
jon2kSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote