SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
treekiller
treekiller is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up High pressure Coolant Reservoir cap /w matching oil cap

I have Brought back with me From my latest Trip to Germanay a few High Pressure Coolant Reservoir Caps and matching oil caps. these are from the opel/vauxhall turbo Ecotec variants and much higher quality then the ones we get stuck with here in the states. I have tested this on my ecotec powered car and they work flawlessly. these are designed to be used with the factory dex-cool so will not corrode like poorly constructed aftermarket parts. I live in florida and have been testing the caps in my 2004 ecotec for 2 months. (made sure they were 100% before offering them) in hot traffic situations my gauge does not hover at 3/4 anymore it is rock solid at 1/2 temp. by increasing the pressure of the coolant you raise the boiling point of the coolant this prevents gas pockets from forming in extremly hot areas. many people use aftermarket caps for dress up (which these do nicely) however they do not allways provide proper overflow tank pressure and can cause problems. the oil cap also uses a diffrent rubber grommit seal which is more resistant to the chemicals found in synthetic oil (these cars come equipped with synthetic from the factory)

I have 4 pairs for sale (can get more from my DE friends if need be)

to offset my cost of buying them I would like to get $25.00 for each pair, or 13.00 for either one single plus whatever actual shipping is.

warning: these do not have oil and coolant grade labels on them as is required by US auto manufacturers, so remember to tell the jiffy lube attendant your oil grade and to use dexcool if you buy one.

here are some quick pics. first come first serve, more then 4 will take some time for me to get.

Thanks -TK

PS. these should work on all ecotec powered saturns, ION including redline, L series, VUE, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilcap.jpg (55.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg radcap.jpg (30.8 KB, 136 views)
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
treekiller
treekiller is on a distinguished road

Default Re: High pressure Coolant Reservoir cap /w matching oil cap

I found this on autohaus website our factory units are 1.1 bar or 15psi these are 1.3 bar or 19psi raises boiling point like 50 degrees.

Borrowed from autohaus:
Many European cars use an expansion tank instead of an overflow bottle in the cooling system. This means the tank is pressurized, along with the rest of the system. It should not be opened while the system is hot and, most importantly, the proper pressure cap must be installed.

Why? Replacement American brand name caps may not be sufficient in pressure setting and/or fit to maintain proper system pressure. We have had many overheated customers who have replaced the water pump, the radiator, the thermostat and fan clutch and still had their cars overheating. They swore they had a new cap on the system but the system kept losing water and overheating. The problem? They used an American cap!

European cooling systems vary in pressure by year and manufacturer but many are 1.2 bar, 1.4 bar, 1.5 bar and now even 2.0 bar pressure. The 1.2 bar system is approximately 17 psi and the 2.0 bar is approximately 28 psi of pressure. A simple replacement American cap that fits might only hold 7-10 psi of pressure. This would allow the water to overheat and run out at less-than-normal summer operating temperatures.

If your car has an expansion tank, notable by having the pressure cap on it instead of on the radiator, you MUST replace the cap with the proper pressure-rated OE replacement. Too much or too little pressure can spell disaster at the worst possible moment - in the middle of nowhere on a hot summer day! Always use OE/OES (original equipment) pressure caps - those rated for the specifications on your car.
Closed Thread