SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
Blue Goose
Blue Goose is on a distinguished road

Question Anyone had racks and chips in their glass repaired rather than replaced?

**Doh! I mean rocks and chips**

Well no more than 2 weeks after having to replace my wife's windshield I was tagged with something this morning that left a nice little chip and crack dead center of my windshield.

Her's was right in her line of sight so we replaced the glass but since mine is in the middle I thought I'd might try to have it repaired.

If you have had this done(I haven't) how did it come out and do I run the risk if the thing cracking worse once the cold weather hits?

Since I didn't really care for the job Safelite did on my wifes Vue(distorted at the corners, doesn't faze her but I pick up on it) I probably want to get an OEM piece of glass if I am going to replace it....I imagine quite a bit more money for that and can a glass place order that for me?

Not the way I wanted to start my day
2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

I have had 3 chips and one broken windsheid in 3 vehicles within the last year. I don't understand why, but I guess just bad luck....

1) Olds Bravada - I had a rock hit the windshied dead center. SafeLite came out and filled and sealed it the next day. Fantastic job on the repair and covered free under my insurance.

Only a few weeks later, I got hit with anther rock on the PS bottom corner near the pillar. This rock shattered the right side of my windsheild which required a replacement. Safelite was out a couple of days later with an entire windshield replacement. The window seemed fine to me and I didn't notice any distortion. The repair cost me $250 for the deductible and I also needed to go to the garage for a new inspection sticker (only cost me a few bucks).

2) Saturn SC2 - Rock hit windshield at eye level for me (higher than my wife's eyes). When the rock hit this time, it left two chips and caused staring on both chips. Safelite was out a couple of days later and tried to repair the chips. Due to the fact that there were two chips so close to each other, I guess the repair guy couldn't get a good repair because it he was drawing air in from the other hole/crack. This repair job sucked and the cracks are starting to get bigger again, but it passed inspection and it doesn't bother my wife since it is not in her line of sight. I'd rather put off getting a new window for as long as possible; hopefully the stars won't get bigger. This damage was done last fall, so it went through a winter and now a summer.

3) Saturn Vue - Happened on the way home from work yesterday. Rock hit PS right bottom corner and caused a nice chip. Called insurance company and safelite is supposed to come out sometime today for the repair. Hopefully it will go okay.

I know this reply is long winded, but I can say that Safelite has always been there and on time using good materials. The SC2 experience I see as flukie because of the type of damage it was and the difficulty in the repair - I don't hold any grudge against safelite for that one. Hopefully I'll have a good experience today. I am also going to ask the window guy whether there is anything I can do to deal with the pitting that comes along with highway driving. It can be an awefully bad distraction when driving into the sun.

Anyway, I'll let you know how the repair goes today. Good luck with whatever you decide.
2004 Vue AWD V6
Old 08-31-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Just got it done. Actually, while he was here, he repaired a nic in the upper left of the windsheild too.

Anyway, the repairs look okay. There is still a scar visible on the one, but that is always possible. I would say try to have the glass repaired, and if it doesn't suit, go ahead with a replacement.
2004 Vue AWD V6
Old 08-31-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Blue Goose

They couldn't fix it....why I have no idea but now they have scratched my paint by getting resin on it and then tried to clean it up using a dirty wash mitt..stupid ass even rubbed my hood with a paper towel!!!!! ....I washed it and looked at it and the paint looks dull and there was some resin drops...I immediatley went out and bought som Mothers Cleaner wax and that seems to have taken care of most of the scratches but I am NOT a happy camper

To boot they made the crack a little bigger also.....

Holy crap...I try to do everything perfect and I end up getting hosed...oem replacement windshield will be 400 dollars plus tax....thats sucks...I don't want my windshield replaced....God I havent even made 1 payment yet...bad omen to start with this vehicle...(not just windshield issues) ugh
Old 08-31-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Skuterdude
Skuterdude is on a distinguished road

Had ours repaired at 8 weeks old.........the repair looks terrible......figured I would wait until the next chip and have the whole thing replaced......I am thinking a new windshield once a year is most likely going to be the norm with this car??????
2004 VUE AWD Honda V6
Old 08-31-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
corey@okemos
corey@okemos is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

In my experiance it is a repair will suffice. But if caught in the right light, it is still visible. Personaly I would check with my insurance company and see what my deductable is, Vs. a repair and go from there.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #7
Blue Goose

Isn't anyone concerned with replacing the windshield? I'm not keen on these guys ripping out something that was put in at the factory....I know that is a pipedream but doesn't anyone like their OEM seal?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
Blue Goose

Ya know...please disregard the above post as pre-1st payment blues
Old 08-31-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
louis1971
louis1971 is on a distinguished road

I've had two replaced in previous vehicles and had no problems versus OEM glass. But living in New England, and replacing windows every winter sucks, so I've resorted to fixing them now.

I found that if it's a bullseye chip and the glass is out, you can fill it pretty good and it's not that noticeable. However, if it's a crack, you'll likely not get the epoxy or whatever chemical it's using in to the crack enough to make it disappear. It all depends on the geometry of the crack or chip, so some look okay, and some don't. The big thing for me, is that they hold, and aren't really noticeable. In fact, I've got 4 cracks in my Maxima windshield right now that have been holding for over 2 years and the cracks have never spread thanks to the ol' $5 repair kit.

I keep saying, eh, I'll finally bite the bullet and put in my 3rd insurance claim in the Spring, but Spring came and went twice already...

Oh well, maybe this coming Spring...
Old 09-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
txaginid
txaginid is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I go a chip on the passenger side one month to the day that I picked up my Vue. I had it repaired which insurance paid for and it looks great. Cannot really even tell where it was with out really looking hard. this was five months ago.
Closed Thread