saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 12-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Arrow When is timing chain recommended?

When is the timing chain recommended in the 2.2 ecotec? This new motor has 127,000 on it and the chain felt tight. I did install the updated timing chain oiler/ tensioner.

2004 Saturn Ion
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: When is timing chain recommended?

Unlike engines with timing belts which require a scheduled replacement period (and I believe that you already understand this), it's basically considered a matter of choice as to when one replaces the chains and related components. Neither the Owner's Handbook maintenance log nor my FSM provide information as to a mileage recommendation for replacement of the timing chain or balance shaft chain. Our cars share the same engine. When my car left the factory its engine came with the updated tensioner, but not an updated oiler. FWIW, I replaced the factory original chains, tensioners, oilers (which included the updated one for the timing chain), all guides, and cam shaft gears last August at 312K+ miles.
333,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Dizzy Re: When is timing chain recommended?

I replaced the tensioner on my used replacment engine with 127,000 miles. Where exactly is the "oiler" located at? I thought the tensioner had something to do with oiling the chain?
Old 12-29-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A correction is in order relative to my post #2. I wrote "oilers." Wrong! There is only one oiler and its location is just above the crankshaft gears for both timing and balance shaft chains. This location provides for the most efficient delivery of oil to be circulated to the chains. In the link below take a look at the third picture from the left looking up at the timing components and you can see it in the location described earlier in the paragraph.

The tensioner has nothing to do with the oiling of the chains. The tensioner pushes against the tensioner guide placing pressure on the chain to prevent it from "jumping" off the gears and altering the valve and crankshaft timing. The oiler's job is to direct the required amount of oil to the gears and thus lubricate the chains. The older design had a very narrow orifice. The new design is opened significantly. The fourth picture from the left in the link below shows the old and new designs of the oiler. The old one has a metal nozzle inside of the oiler's "housing" with a very small diameter hole through which the oil would be sprayed, but on the later design that nozzle is altogether gone. (In the picture the mounting holes are located and the left and the nozzles are located at the right.)

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=237765
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

Last edited by pierrot; 12-29-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #5
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: When is timing chain recommended?

Wow that picture clearly shows a revised "oiler" any idea where I can get a replacment without having to buy the complete timing chain kit. Im not having any issues and the motor only has 127,000 miles on it.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:13 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sure. Look for it as a Timing Gear Oiler at RockAuto.com. Since it's a Cloyes part you could probably order it from almost any local auto parts store. It may be available through a GM dealership parts department also.