SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 11-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
cdmotg
cdmotg is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default 2008 Saturn Astra Passenger airbag sensor?

Hi all,
I just recently bought a 2008 Saturn Astra XR with 85K miles, and it had the airbag light on. The previous owner had the airbag recall paperwork but had not taken it in to get done so I was ok with doing that, and made a bad assumption that the recall work by dealer service would take care of "resetting" and getting the airbag system back to a functional state......again BAD ASSUMPTION.

So the dealer service tech ran diagnostics and found that the passenger seat occupancy sensor/module was defective and causing the passenger airbag light to be on. They searched for the part (GM 93191931), which is actually the bottom seat cushion with the sensor built into it, and found that the part is no longer available and apparently discontinued. I also searched and contacted several internet GM parts houses and no one seems to have this part available, either in stock or from GM.

So I think my only options at this point are:

1. Find another Astra XR passenger seat with a known good occupancy sensor in it and swap out for my existing passenger seat.

2. Find a "passenger occupancy emulator" that would plug into where the current passenger seat sensor wiring plugs into. I'm not familiar with these emulators but apparently it sends the signal to the airbag system that there is always a passenger in the seat and the airbags will engage whenever the driver's airbag does, so it would be unsafe for a child seat or small child to sit in the passenger seat - which in my case, will never happen so I'm not concerned.

The problem I am running into with the Emulator option is that I can't seem to find one for a "Saturn Astra". Every other car manufacturer/model seems to be available, but not the Saturn Astra. I thought maybe the Opel/Vauxhall Astra may work but can't get confirmation on that.

So my question is, has anyone used one of these emulators on their Saturn Astra and if so, what was the manufacturer or brand that you used?

I would also be fine with replacing the passenger seat with another seat that has a working occupancy module but so far, have not been able to find an XR with a passenger seat anywhere. I am located in central North Carolina but would travel or pay to have it shipped.....if I could only find one.

Sorry for the long post, but starting to get desperate at this point and wanted to throw this out there on this forum since there seems to be a lot of different experiences and good information sharing.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas anyone may have!
cdmotg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Passenger airbag sensor?

Before you go about hunting down a seat and trying to find an emulator to work. Did you check the plug under the seat to make sure the connection is secure and clean? You will see the plug under the front of the seat. I also had the same error come up when my central locking wasn't plugged in properly behind the dash. Was the dash ever taken apart to your knowledge?
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

If you need a used seat. Check out car-part.com for used seats available from recyclers across North America.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
cdmotg

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the input, both good suggestions! So I believe I found the problem - the "Front passenger seat detection sensor" FUSE is missing. The previous owner must have removed, for whatever reason, which is disabling the sensor from operating.

Now I am searching for what the amp rating is for the fuse missing......and it's nowhere to be found. I checked the owners manual and searched the internet and can't find that info anywhere. I would think there would be a list of the fuses with amp ratings somewhere in the fuse box.....but I don't see it anywhere.

This fuse is in the back hatch area fuse box, fuse location #16. Does anyone know what the amp rating is for Fuse #16? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I found a pic of the fuse box. Looks like 16, 17, 18 are all 5 amp fuses.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

This confirms 5 amp
https://fusesdiagram.com/opel-vauxha...m-astra-h.html
Old 11-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #7
cdmotg

2008 Astra XR

Thank you so Much! That was what I was looking for.....very much appreciate that info and the tip on car-part.com, that's a very good resource that I never knew existed.......thanks again!
Old 11-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #8
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmotg View Post
Thank you so Much! That was what I was looking for.....very much appreciate that info and the tip on car-part.com, that's a very good resource that I never knew existed.......thanks again!
No problem, if the 5 amp fuse you put in blows, don't try a bigger one or you could make a bad situation worse.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Previous owner could have taken out the fuse to put a child seat in the front, cheaper way of disabling the airbag I suppose.
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote