SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 11-27-2017, 02:09 AM   #1
Koko4
Koko4 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue Front End Rattle - Replaced Lots of Parts

My girlfriend's mom has a 2003 Saturn Vue with 180,xxx miles on it. It's been through a lot (fairly) recently - I replaced a crank sensor for an intermittent no-start issue, replaced the spark plugs, drained and filled the tranny fluid, and replaced an evap purge solenoid.

It's had a rattle in the front end for a long while now - ever since I've ridden in it (a few years ago). When going over anything rough in the road - a sewer drain, for example, the entire front end will rattle loudly. Sounds like the front end of the car is falling apart.

I've replaced the following parts to try to alleviate this rattle, to no avail:

Front struts (used Monroe pre-assembled quick-struts)
Front sway bar end links
Front sway bar bushings

I've checked the tie rod ends and lower ball joints, they seem fine. I also pushed/pulled the wheels at 12 and 6 o clock, with no play, to try and check the wheel bearings. I was thinking of throwing a set of lower control arms on (including the bushings and lower ball joints), but I'm afraid this would be another $120+ down the toilet, with no results.

Is this rattle common? Should I just give up on trying to fix it? It drives and rides fine, otherwise. Should I be suspecting the motor mounts? I'm sure by now (14yr old car) just about everything is showing its age, but I would assume bad motor mounts would cause vibration while accelerating or at a certain RPM. You can literally be coasting in neutral over a rough patch of road and it will make the same noise.
Koko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Front End Rattle - Replaced Lots of Parts

Koko,
Look under the dashboard and see if the u-joint under there is loose. Also look at the brakes. The slide pins may need to be replaced.... And greased. Something else are the brake pad retainer clips.
I have a post a few pages back called, How to silence a noisy front end, you might want to look at that.

John
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Koko,
Better than sending you all over the place looking for my post.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231061

This is everything that I had to look at/do to get my 07 quiet. And I will be doing most of them again on my 08 Equinox Sport.

John
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Koko4
Koko4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
Koko,
This is everything that I had to look at/do to get my 07 quiet. And I will be doing most of them again on my 08 Equinox Sport.

John
John, thanks so much for that link. It's very helpful. I've done a good bit of those suggestions, but one that really stood out to me would be the U-joint for the steering shaft under the dash. I will take a look at that, and also at the bolts / nuts that hold the lower control arms on. I figured those would not be loose because they've never been tampered with.

The motor mount seems an unlikely culprit, but I guess I shouldn't rule out anything at this point. I just hate to have her mom keep throwing parts at it, all the while thinking I don't know what I'm doing with my lack of diagnosis abilities =P
Koko4 is offline   Reply With Quote