saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE
Default I jumped ship...

I was never able to solve the problems with my Aura's intermittent erratic idle, and it was getting progressively worse to the point where I didn't feel I could trust the car. No check engine light at all - no nothing. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out, and didn't have the time or the money to take it to a mechanic only to have them throw parts on it in the hope that whatever they replaced would fix the problem. I had already done the air filter, MAF cleaning, throttle body cleaning, coils and plugs to no avail. So I went car shopping and came home with a 2015 Sonata SE last week:

I am quite pleased with the car. It has all the features I need and then some and is IMHO quite well equipped for a base model. Quite a bit more roomy than the Aura, plus I get almost 35 MPG in mixed driving when I have it in ECO mode.

I gave it the old college try to get the Aura running well again, but it just wasn't happening. I couldn't justify putting anymore $$ into the car when the successful outcome was in doubt. I figure I had spent almost $1500 on various repairs these past 7 months - tie rods, alignment, brakes and rotors, door lock actuators, spark plugs, coils, air filter, and a few other odds and ends. It just seemed like it was needing something fixed every month.

I'll still float around on here from time to time. My heart will always be with GM, but my brain wasn't allowing it this time. But truth be told, I do really like the Sonata. Thank you all for sharing your advice, thoughts, and suggestions.
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
g0dzilla
g0dzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: I jumped ship...

Cool new ride. In my case I am on the same position where Im thinking on getting another car. So far, my Aura is giving me a Service Air Bag warning all the time. In my opinion, I think I got enough. This is a 1k fix. Only done at dealer. Last year at this same time, I was force to put 2k to fix a stretch timing Chain !!! on my engine. I feel like this Saturn is eating up my savings !!!

Aura is a beautiful car but Sadly for me it was not a reliable vehicle....
Good luck with your new ride !!
g0dzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Was this your old Aura?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8529/overview/

Good luck with the Sonata! I think they are very handsome and reliable. You'll have many years of trouble free miles.
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Was this your old Aura?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8529/overview/

Good luck with the Sonata! I think they are very handsome and reliable. You'll have many years of trouble free miles.

Holy crap! That be the one....MFers going to make about $5500 in profit if they sell it at that price too! It's a wholesale piece so probably all they did was vacuum and wash it. Don't think they will get that $$ though, since a smart buyer can knock them for a few hundred (needs tires), a rust spot on the B Pillar of the driver's side door, some paint chips on the hood among other odds and ends such as the RKE not working (both remotes shot). Not to mention the hesitation issues.

Reedman doesn't do test drives in the typical way either - you never leave the lot so you never really get a truly accurate feel for how the car will behave. The poor person who buys it will get it out on the highway and it's only a matter of time before it acts out and starts bucking and hesitating.

Kinda annoys me that they jacked the price like that but truthfully I'm glad I don't have to worry about the Aura anymore. I loved the car, but lost faith in its longevity.

I'm quite pleased with the Sonata (having a car note kinda sucks, but part of life I guess). Average between 32 and 35 MPG on my drive to and from work, rides comfortably, having Bluetooth is great - no need for an aux cord anymore, plus as you say it's a handsome looking car, especially with the LED DRLs and the fastback-ish rear end. Thanks for the well-wishes.
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote