SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 07-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
kidmoon90
kidmoon90 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 03 bcm replacement

Ok as I know the BCM is out causing stalling and the flashing passlock. I found a used one out of a 03 4banger awd with the same part number as mine, although mine is 3.0 Fwd. Will this work or not?
kidmoon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 bcm replacement

Was this Vue modified, as in wiring an aftermarket alarm or remote start system? Was the "white" wire cut in the Passlock circuit in the ignition switch wiring? Car damage not mentioned and you're trying to resolve issues?

Flashing security usually means Passlock detects a theft, an incorrect starting sequence without a key or interference from aftermarket electronics that involves bypassing Passlock. While there may be a possibility of wear and tear to Passlock sensors, its never been reported yet. Perhaps explaining when security flashes may allow members here to help you determine what went wrong. If a better explanation is given, you may avoid bcm replacement.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
kidmoon90

2003 VUE 3.0L

Well what it is doing is stalling while driving and then the SES,SVS and security light flashes 3 times then I get engine power back. New crank sensor, new ignition switch,new key cylinder....stayed at service department for 3 weeks and they could not find anything. They replaced named sensors above and it still stalls. Last resort is BCM... I thought and no custom alarm.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced besides the crank sensor? This doesn't seem to be bcm related for several reasons.

1-When Passlock works in normal conditions, it can be depended on to ensure anyone trying to startup without a key will not get far at all as Passlock prevents injectors from operating (GM taking advantage of software programs already used). Whether security flashes or not isn't as important (the indicator is an aid to determining what state Passlock is in) as software can't be bypassed by anyone in attempting to start a car with Passlock active.

When Passlock fails its own self tests, performed at every startup or while driving, Passlock disables itself from interfering with engine running. No one has ever proven Passlock killed an engine while driving. When Passlock fails, it turns on security and stays on whether ignition is on or not. This is the only indication to inform the driver that security isn't working and does not prevent engine running. Its a programmed default if Passlock fails. A flashing security light at the moment the engine stalls and recovers is unusual but since the engine recovered, doesn't point to a Passlock issue or bcm.

2-You may be describing one or more problems when the engine randomly dies with all the idiot lights turning on. This can be from one or several problems; fuel, pressure, ignition, engine mechanics, wiring, etc.. The best descriptions given whether long winded (as I'm prone to be on these forums) or brief, doesn't matter as long as the symptoms are given since no one is riding with you to see and hear what occurs. This make you the only person to describe the symptoms so members here can have a picture of what's occurring.

When the engine stalls (momentarily?) or hiccups with lights turning on (and off?) without the engine dying completely is not a normal symptom. If I'm describing your situation correctly, it may explain why GM(?) didn't find the problem but still goes about their 'ways' to replace whatever is called for in their program book. Unless someone took your Vue for a drive to try and duplicate the exact symptoms, they may be guessing on your dime. I may be sceptical but its your wallet and the more time they spend troubleshooting the more money you pay whether or not the problem is found and eliminated. So far, you bought some parts the dealer chose and didn't correct the problem.............

Without knowing exactly what they did, I can only start with basic questions.

Mileage is needed for a baseline in reference to fuel filter/spark plug replacement, a fuel pressure check to determine whether or not a fuel pump issue exists, and if corrosion/weathering may have an impact on this intermittent problem. Far from being an expert on diagnosing and troubleshooting problems, I tend to ask all the basic questions so no presumptions are made before attempting to diagnose a problem. The questions may require using tools and depends on individual skills to make basic checks at home.

Last edited by fdryer; 07-30-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

How about trouble codes?
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:51 AM   #6
kidmoon90

2003 VUE 3.0L

The dealership dove it and got it to stall while driving. Thankfully I was not charged but only a 115 diagnostic service, but then they shaped my cheap crank sensor for a GM replacement. I returned the old one and got my 80 bucks back so....the dealer lost on that. Well we both did since the damn thing is not fixed. The engine is in perfect running order with 219200 miles. And yes timing belt was changed along with everything associated. Now if I can fix this stall ill be happy.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The dealer finding the same stall condition and replacing the crank sensor basically covered their asses and didn't make any more progress than you did. And they have more tools/test equipment!?.

With an aging vehicle collecting 219k miles+, I think this comes down to fuel pump, ignition or wiring. All are difficult to troubleshoot while driving with a fuel pump problem the lesser of the three evils via fuel pressure gauge. While it may seem unorthodox, connecting a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose so the gauge can be monitored above the hood while driving may reveal a well worn pump. Pumps won't last forever (the same for the ignition system) and a f/p gauge may show the moment it hiccups - pressure would suddenly drop if it stops, followed by engine stalling until it restarts again with pressure suddenly back up as if nothing happened. The trick is catching the pump when it falters and recovers. This may seem implausible but unless anyone has a better idea of troubleshooting possible age related issues with worn parts still operating, thinking outside the box may be needed at this point. At best, this doesn't show a pump issue (pressure remains fine while driving) and may point to ignition or wiring.

Wiring is presumed to be intact but there are no guarantees here if a wire, loose connection or something is creating an intermittent condition contributing to random stalling and recover.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidmoon90 View Post
Well what it is doing is stalling while driving and then the SES,SVS and security light flashes 3 times then I get engine power back. New crank sensor, new ignition switch,new key cylinder....stayed at service department for 3 weeks and they could not find anything. They replaced named sensors above and it still stalls. Last resort is BCM... I thought and no custom alarm.
I'd swap BCM ... but would try shaking some wires first ... with engine running smoothly do your best to access wires at ignition switch and move them about. Then do same thing with bundles connecting to the I/P fuse block.

Its common for pin and socket connections to develop problems as years pile up ... especially if the connections carry several amps when ignition is ON.

Keep in mind if you installed a used BCM you can expect the IPC to update to whatever mileage was stored in "new" BCM and there could be all sorts of SES and SVS codes for ABS, airbag and so on.

And you must also do Passlock relearn:

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockô
Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF
to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
kidmoon90

2003 VUE 3.0L

I was thinking on replacing it. But today I did find outthe service advisor I have been working with no longer works there...I think I'm am just going to go the new rockies way