saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
IoninSA
IoninSA is on a distinguished road

Default Photos online

Hi folks,

I just posted some images of my ION 1.75 online in my member gallery. Just got the ION 3 wheels/tires in the mail today and had them mounted. I note from the back of the alloy wheels that they are manufactured by Enkei.

"Mods" so far

Window tint - FormulaOne semimetallic
ION 3 wheels and tires
Saturn OEM CD/Cassette player
Dash mat to beat the Texas sun

John
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Nice pics man.......for a minute there thought you were driving an Ion 3. Was there any recalibration on the suspension for the bigger tires? Just curious
Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 PM   #3
IoninSA

Thanks!

There's no recalibration for the suspension. I noticed that the car turns with less lean now ... it seems to handle better. I just took it on a quick test drive. The larger tires also seem to make the steering less twitchy at lower speeds.

There's also no recalibration available for the speedo/odometer (thanks, Saturn) so I will use up my warranty 2.3 percent sooner :-). Eventually, I plan to lower the car with some of those progressive springs, and put 205/50R-16s on it. That will get my speedometer right again.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

IoninSA, what size tires are you running? If you're running on the tires you got with the wheels, you're speedometer and odometer should be underreporting mileage. Your warranty should therefore be extended.
BTW, you mentioned that the wheels and tires weighed 40lbs. Was this total, or was this a piece, I'm assuming the former, since the latter would mean that each wheel is less than 10lbs with rubber. That would just be sick.
Bob
Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
IoninSA

Hi Bob,

That's total for each tire and wheel together - about 40 lbs apiece. I am not sure what they weigh separately. On the odometer ... it's giving me a headache to do the math. Did I mention that I was a liberal arts major? Basically, it is counting a mile every 857 revolutions. My new wheels do a mile in 837 revolutions. Okay, you're right.

I'm still mad at Saturn for not including a setting for this, as in earlier models.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
bobwill

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Oh yeah, as said earlier I really do like those John Deere as I've heard them refered to elsewhere wheels. In fact I'm thinking about doing what you've done, I two own an ION1, and getting a set of OEM ION3 wheels off ebay.
Who did you go to for the tint job? That's really nice, and subtle, not that I'd drive from Maryland to Texas just for window tinting.
What's the deal with this dash cover. I thought that your dash looked nice a smooth, didn't have the little bumps all over it. I wouldn't mind finding something to smooth off my dash as well. That's one thing that I just wonder what the heck was Saturn thinking. :o:
Bob
Old 07-08-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
bobwill

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I found this great little site since the math was giving your Liberal Arts brain a headache.
http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm
Bob
Old 07-08-2003, 10:26 PM   #8
amosstar
amosstar is on a distinguished road

Where do you get ION 3 wheels?Did you have to get RIMS as well....how much 4 all this? R these useful for an ION 2? Just wondered!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
IoninSA

I went to a company called Custom Sounds for the tint job. It's 35 percent on the side windows and 20 percent on the back. If you can, go with FormulaOne tint. It's good stuff, and reputable installers handle it.

The dash cover is from my Saturn dealer ... they had a display set up at the parts department. It has a five year warranty, and was made by a company called Dash Designs. It cost about $45, I think.

Many different colors are available. The number for Dash Designs is (800)843-3274. (I just happened to have my little warranty card handy).

On the wheels, I tend to trust the seller from whom I purchased mine. She's not good at communication, but everything shipped and arrived promptly in excellent shape. The wheels had a sheet of foam in front of them to keep the cardboard from scratching the finish.

I think her Ebay handle is reptiletoes. Go figure ... I don't want to think how she got that nickname.

Last edited by IoninSA; 07-08-2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
IoninSA

Hi amosstar,

I bought my wheels/tires together on Ebay for $315 plus $120 shipping. They were takeoffs from a custom shop with less than 25 miles on them. They were already balanced, so JiffyLube mounted them for $20 today.
Closed Thread