SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 10-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

Default New Buick Astra spotted. For real this time

"for real this time" might be a stretch but it's the newest generation Astra with a Buick Rainfall grill.

I hope it's real I really really do, My Astra just ticked over 100K this weekend and I plan on it staying around for a while but if I have to get a new car its between a Volt, Regal GS and possibly this...

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/is-...-buick-gs.html

speculation is all over the place but I hope it's not just a test for the Chinese market as they are eating up Buicks currently, I hope it's continuing the trend of Domestic Buicks getting more Euroized.
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
marcmag
marcmag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: New Buick Astra spotted. For real this time

Want a definition of crazy? To hope for a two-door model in the U.S. It looks like a VW GTI or higher might be my only $30k choice when/if I have to replace my 2-door XR.
marcmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmag View Post
Want a definition of crazy? To hope for a two-door model in the U.S. It looks like a VW GTI or higher might be my only $30k choice when/if I have to replace my 2-door XR.
Yeah, if it's a Buick I don't see a 2 door being a possibility. It doesn't fit their image. They have the Cascade coming soon which is a convertible tho.

I still think Gm screwed the pooch by not making it a Chevy, Just like they did the G8 by making it the SS. When the Astra J came out it should have replaced the Sonic, the Sonic is a piece of junk, the build quality of the Astra is so much higher. I test drove a Sonic RS and was disgusted by the interior, It's 2015 and GM is still pulling the rock hard plastic crap? Get with the times, even "Saturn" has a better interior.

Kill the Sonic/Cruze, bring the Astra over.
Kill the Spark, bring the Corse or Corse over.

It's that simple, they have the performance versions developed to take on the Fiesta/Focus ST, Speed3, GTI. No need for more $$ on R&D. The Sonic and Cruze are the boring/cheap "rentals" that get made fun of, GM could change that by simply bring those back to the States.

I just don't understand.
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I think GM might bring them over, they are trying to change the image of buick and they are heading in the right direction and bringing the astra over as their entry level vehicle would be very smart because the build and finish is much better then chevy so it would work for them.
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
marcmag
marcmag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Maybe someone who follows the dollar/euro exchange rate can answer this, but one of things that doomed our car was the unfavorable rate that brought our cars in so much higher than the competition.

GM subtracted content to bring them in a lower price, without the halo of an Astra RedLine based on OPC (VXR) features, at least in the first year (only year in the U.S). The GM bankruptcy and the failed sale of Saturn to Penske sealed the deal.

The question today is if they've taken enough costs out of Opel production + federalization + shipping to make the car a good value proposition. Keep hope alive, at least for the four-door!

The two-door performance market in this size is pretty small, GTI and Golf-R. I see the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ as a different segment, along with the Scion TC.
marcmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
everyshadeofblu
everyshadeofblu is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgandy25 View Post
Yeah, if it's a Buick I don't see a 2 door being a possibility. It doesn't fit their image. They have the Cascade coming soon which is a convertible tho.

I still think Gm screwed the pooch by not making it a Chevy, Just like they did the G8 by making it the SS. When the Astra J came out it should have replaced the Sonic, the Sonic is a piece of junk, the build quality of the Astra is so much higher. I test drove a Sonic RS and was disgusted by the interior, It's 2015 and GM is still pulling the rock hard plastic crap? Get with the times, even "Saturn" has a better interior.

Kill the Sonic/Cruze, bring the Astra over.
Kill the Spark, bring the Corse or Corse over.

It's that simple, they have the performance versions developed to take on the Fiesta/Focus ST, Speed3, GTI. No need for more $$ on R&D. The Sonic and Cruze are the boring/cheap "rentals" that get made fun of, GM could change that by simply bring those back to the States.

I just don't understand.

GM lost money on every Astra they shipped over, even before they discounted the heck out of them. Sadly, the Sonic and Cruze are cheaper to build and appeal to the middle of the road market. It may work as entry level Buick that sells similar volume to the Verano, but I wouldn't expect to see the quality of the European version for sale in America as a Chevy.

We got lucky with our Astra's and took advantage of a desperate, weak time for GM. They are smarter and flush less money down the toilet than they used to, which is bad for us!
Jeff

2008 Astra XR 5-door
Vauxhall conversion
18" 5-star rims from 3-door
everyshadeofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

By the time that Opel hatch is certified for our consumption, Honda will introduce a Civic 5-door Focus fighter and Subaru will unveil their freshened Impreza, which has a side profile that bears similarity to the older Mazda3.

Honda's Type R is on the way as is the next gen WRX in '18 and a 325-hp Focus RS could eventually come stateside if the Type R gains any traction Right now we have the ST Focus with the Fusion's 2.0 L I4 EB.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote