saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 05-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1
Default Gas Filler Neck Recondotioning

I am willing to offer some spraying services to help with a lot of these rotted filler necks that pose a risk to leaks.

One's that are not rusted through are perfect candidate for corrosion protection. The process is simple, just labor intensive.

For those interested; The metal will be properly prepped for a barrier primer, and then generally 2 topcoats of auto grade epoxy primer.
The evap controller tube?< Is that right- It will be cleaned along with the box, and new vapor hose.

This here isn't a before and after, but it was very similar to the one that is finished product at bottom.

If anyone is interested just let me know(PM), I think I can get these out for 80$ per unit plus shipping.
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Gas Filler Neck Recondotioning

The only problem here would be if it is rusted beyond the painting and rust proofing one should spend the money and get it fixed. Leaks here would start a fire if it comes into contact with the hot exhaust. Something your insurance will not cover if they find poor maintenance and not repairing bad parts.
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
The only problem here would be if it is rusted beyond the painting and rust proofing one should spend the money and get it fixed. Leaks here would start a fire if it comes into contact with the hot exhaust. Something your insurance will not cover if they find poor maintenance and not repairing bad parts.
How would you consider a part repaired for that matter...? It appears that the tubing used in the filler neck has become an issue with most users on the forum. I am trying to provide an alternative by still using the oem fuel assembly.
This is restoration work and hold out will be superior to other coated aftermarket fuel assemblies.

Like stated in post "Not rusted through", This is not patch work( any scaling that has pitted into the metal is not used)- I am in no business of any kind to fool anyone or make a quick buck. This is hard earned and some spray skill involved. Not to mention much cheaper than buying oem or equivalent

I am here to help people that don't have accessibility to scrap L-series cars... As I am quite frequently on this forum, It seems you are more prone to cause a ruckus, rather than reply with any positive insight.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacadacalopolis View Post
How would you consider a part repaired for that matter...? It appears that the tubing used in the filler neck has become an issue with most users on the forum. I am trying to provide an alternative by still using the oem fuel assembly.
This is restoration work and hold out will be superior to other coated aftermarket fuel assemblies.

Like stated in post "Not rusted through", This is not patch work( any scaling that has pitted into the metal is not used)- I am in no business of any kind to fool anyone or make a quick buck. This is hard earned and some spray skill involved. Not to mention much cheaper than buying oem or equivalent

I am here to help people that don't have accessibility to scrap L-series cars... As I am quite frequently on this forum, It seems you are more prone to cause a ruckus, rather than reply with any positive insight.
For my prior 2000 Saturn LS2 it was pretty rusted through and was getting the error code and had to replace my gas filler neck which was pretty expensive but after that replacement I never got a leak error code from the Saturn after that. I am going on the side if one is constantly getting error vapor leak code then replacing the fuel filler neck is what is needed.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

I'll tell you what Russet, you go ahead and keep at it with putting a bigger hole in your wallet.

On the other hand- How bout you stop flaming reply's about "Poor Maintenance" on this thread.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mine was replaced last week. The part was something Like $150, and supposedly mine was rusted through. Do you need to drop the tank for this repair, or does the filler just connect to a rubber hose?

I wish my mechanic could have gotten the part from you for half the price, or I would have done it myself! Want to get back to my car..
[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyferrari View Post
Mine was replaced last week. The part was something Like $150, and supposedly mine was rusted through. Do you need to drop the tank for this repair, or does the filler just connect to a rubber hose?

I wish my mechanic could have gotten the part from you for half the price, or I would have done it myself! Want to get back to my car..
I dont even think you would need to drop the tank to install a new fill pipe hose( tho it may be difficult).

One Evap(plastic)tube that connects the solenoid actually is a quick connect.
It is very easy with the car up on jackstands, Just a 13mm mount bolt and 1 connector and hoses. Just remove that fender liner.

Yah, its a shame we couldnt get together on this sooner... I wouldve even given you mine for that same price.
As it stands I actually aquired 3 that are in very good condition, I think i will try for 1 more, Get them done, And either post on ebay or here.

Its ridiculous seein a used stock one off ebay for 150$
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I'll tell you what Russet, you go ahead and keep at it with putting a bigger hole in your wallet.

On the other hand- How bout you stop flaming reply's about "Poor Maintenance" on this thread.
Oh Jeez, aren't you the sensitive one. He's not flamed anyone- only provided a cautious note and opinion.

I tend to see everything as a Murphy's Law moment, too, for that matter, when it comes to car repair.

Personally, I think the repair technique is fine and would add fiberglass repair tape over the epoxy thickened with filler, as needed.

I believe they still have an epoxy lank liner, marketed as KREEM or something like that that could also be used to line the inside of the filler neck and gas tank- if that's not already being done.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...=UTF-8#q=kreem
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:

Flaming is only if the responder is acting out of malicious action of which sadly your wrong on the reply. Not every gas filler neck can be fixed when rust has set - either replace it properly or loose gas. That would burn a hole bigger then the repair option would do more to save for the wallet reducing fuel wasted considering gas prices nowdays. Good maintenance is when we give the pro and cons for others to see if the problems becomes more then a simple repair.

@Jonnyferrari

Mine when it was done cost me 385 the mechanic didn't drop the tank they just unhooked it at the connection point and removed the fuel filler neck and replaced that with a new fuel filler neck and the error code for vapor leak was gone after that. And it was rusted as well.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Oh Jeez, aren't you the sensitive one. He's not flamed anyone- only provided a cautious note and opinion.

I tend to see everything as a Murphy's Law moment, too, for that matter, when it comes to car repair.]
You know you are right... Everyone is entitled to their own "opinion" like russet commented.

I viewed the whole "Poor Maintenance" for repair comment pretty disrespectful considering what is being done- Sandblasting & Painting good used parts. Especially coming from someone that opens new threads for questions that can readily be found on YouTube or simple Google search.

Billysvue; That is the first time I've seen a product for an inner coating. With all the ethanol blends out there I can see this working for some people. I have found the liner coating on my old L200 tube was still completely intact though.
However, the tubing is paper thin on these.

Anyways I have collected 3 very good filler assy's. Here is one with Higher res shots where I generally find mild to heavy rust.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Three fillers will be blasted and sprayed pretty soon. It will be legit and will even look legit since everything will be clean. Right down to the filter sponge inside the solenoid.

Price still stands to Saturnfans forum L users while they last.

Thank you for looking, ask any further questions regarding this topic and I will give you a response.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

They are done... If any takers come about just pm me.

Finish- (went a different route) 1. Zinc rich primer 2. Auto epoxy 3. SS urethane.

Price is still mentioned above.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #13
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1
Default Re: Gas Filler Neck Recondotioning(UPDATE)

All restored (3) fillers have been marked as SOLD for the moment