Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Temp issue and rear quarter removal

I've got a 01 sc2 that I bought a few months ago with low miles..it's a great car. Got it for 750..put a egr and temp sensor on it and some tires. It was a steal. The temp would only get about 1/8th before the sensor...after I changed it ,1/4 or just a hair above on a warm day(it's indiana weather here...warm day was 2 days of 65-70 degrees..)...

Well the weird thing is now, today was 46 degrees. The temperature was about 2 needle widths above 1/4... The highest I've seen it ever! It runs good, idles at 850-900 like it's supposed to.. Smooth shifts(not jerky..it's a 5 speed).. It was great. But It worries me since it hasn't got that high before. I know the thermostats bad. I have a new one to put on it but I'm wondering if it's weird for it to heat up good for once like that? I drive the car 20 miles a day mostly highway. And it generally gets to 1/4 pretty quick and sticks there.

I just don't wanna change the thermostat and have a overheating issue because of something else. It puts out great heat at idle and while going so the heater core seems fine. The coolant could use changed of course but anything else anybody has an idea of?

Sorry for the long post...but on a side question, I'm gonna take the rear quarters off tomorrow hopefully but I can't find a video or post about taking the drivers side off(behind the 3rd door).. If someone can find it or has any help I'd appreciate all the advice tremendously! Thanks everyone..this forum has been a great help with my last 2 saturns.

Last edited by cdxhizors; 04-02-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Transmission type..
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Temp issue and rear quarter removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxhizors View Post
The temp would only get about 1/8th before the sensor...after I changed it ,1/4 or just a hair above on a warm day....

The temperature was about 2 needle widths above 1/4... The highest I've seen it ever! It runs good, idles at 850-900 like it's supposed to.. I know the thermostats bad. I have a new one to put on it but I'm wondering if it's weird for it to heat up good for once like that? ...And it generally gets to 1/4 pretty quick and sticks there.

I just don't wanna change the thermostat and have a overheating issue because of something else. It puts out great heat at idle
Sounds like your thermostat is fine. If it was bad, it would either overheat (from sticking closed) or more likely, take a really long time to heat up (sticking open, or cracked seal). On a 20 mile drive with bad thermostat, it may never give good heat

Your temp gauge is not a precision instrument, only serves to give you a rough idea of your overall coolant temperature. For a 1996-2002 S-series, anywhere in the 3/8 to 1/2 range is considered normal.

Quote:
, I'm gonna take the rear quarters off tomorrow hopefully but I can't find a video or post about taking the drivers side off(behind the 3rd door).
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153562

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ght=trunk+leak
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Your temp gauge is not a precision instrument, only serves to give you a rough idea of your overall coolant temperature.
After watching the temp with my code reader and '96 SC2, 0-195f is a bit over 3/8th of the gauge, and fan on temp of 220f is around 3/4 gauge. 195f spread for 3/8th gauge (nearly 1/2) and 25f spread for the next 3/8th of the gauge. Totally not a precision instrument

Not sure about the 3rd gen rear quarter panels but if they're like 1st & 2nd gens, don't be bothered by the stupid bolt looking thing buried in rubber that everyone always thinks does something to hold the panel on when at best it's just used for aligning the panel at the factory.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Sounds like your thermostat is fine. If it was bad, it would either overheat (from sticking closed) or more likely, take a really long time to heat up (sticking open, or cracked seal). On a 20 mile drive with bad thermostat, it may never give good heat

Your temp gauge is not a precision instrument, only serves to give you a rough idea of your overall coolant temperature. For a 1996-2002 S-series, anywhere in the 3/8 to 1/2 range is considered normal.
the reason I thought something is an issue is because the idle rarely drops below 1000-1100 unless the gauge gets above 1/4 which only happens on warm days. Yesterday it randomly raised above 1/4 and the idle was about 900-950. That's with the heat turned off. If I turn it on the temp will slowly go back to 1/4. Could this be a faulty ects? Connector? Or a stuck open thermostat like I thought originally? I know on my 93 gmc jimmy when the thermostat stuck open it took forever to get to 195f and still barely put out heat...as soon as this saturn goes above c you can feel warmth from the vents and higher than that it feels good. It's not perfect heat but definetly heat. Any ideas on what it could be? The idle was so low when it heated up good the other day the motor had to learn the IAC position for that low of idle..it loped for a second or two like it did when I replaced the iac originally.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
After watching the temp with my code reader and '96 SC2, 0-195f is a bit over 3/8th of the gauge, and fan on temp of 220f is around 3/4 gauge. 195f spread for 3/8th gauge (nearly 1/2) and 25f spread for the next 3/8th of the gauge. Totally not a precision instrument

Not sure about the 3rd gen rear quarter panels but if they're like 1st & 2nd gens, don't be bothered by the stupid bolt looking thing buried in rubber that everyone always thinks does something to hold the panel on when at best it's just used for aligning the panel at the factory.
I appreciate the tip on that bolt! I saw that on a few videos and it doesn't look like it does anything to me either. My gauge doesn't actually get to 3/8ths so I don't think the car fully heats up to 195... The only thermostat I could find in town was a 185 by Murray. Which I guess is what it calls for? I've found 195s online but I don't know if I trust ordering a thermostat online. Never know when they swap Chinese parts in to a brand name box.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

You should make a chart that tells everyone it should be exactly like yours, and offer up a thermostat part number if it's not.

I've said for years these gauges vary quite a bit, and a lot of people keep buying parts based on where the needle is.... oh well.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I ordered a Stant #14279 from a seller on eBay for $13.80. I received it 3 days later. Local pricing was too steep.
1999 SL2 A4 -88k miles
Currently sipping Mobil Delvac 1300, Rislone & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxhizors View Post
the reason I thought something is an issue is because the idle rarely drops below 1000-1100 unless the gauge gets above 1/4 which only happens on warm days.
It's normal for the car to have a slightly higher idle when the engine temp is lower.

It doesn't sound like you drive very far on average. Is the 20 miles a day total miles? If so, your car is just getting warmed up at the end of your drive (assuming a 10 mile, one way drive). The warm days are helping you hit that a little sooner than usual

At the end of one of your drives, put the car in Neutral (w brake set) or Park. Put a thermometer in the return stream at the back of the surge tank/reservoir on the passenger fender, or plug in an OBDII reader that reads live data. At the end of a 10 mile drive, I'd expect to see temps from around 180~210, depending on how cold it is outside
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
It's normal for the car to have a slightly higher idle when the engine temp is lower.

It doesn't sound like you drive very far on average. Is the 20 miles a day total miles? If so, your car is just getting warmed up at the end of your drive (assuming a 10 mile, one way drive). The warm days are helping you hit that a little sooner than usual

At the end of one of your drives, put the car in Neutral (w brake set) or Park. Put a thermometer in the return stream at the back of the surge tank/reservoir on the passenger fender, or plug in an OBDII reader that reads live data. At the end of a 10 mile drive, I'd expect to see temps from around 180~210, depending on how cold it is outside
I drove 82 miles one way yesterday and the gauge never went above 1/4 with the heat on full blast.. It was 42 degrees outside and the heat was pretty good..face melting almost. But idle would never drop below 1000(clutch in fully stopped. On the days it would go above 1/4 it would idle at 900 or 800 with the clutch in and fully stopped and you could tell the motor was running better between shifts.. It doesn't seem like its heating up fully. This week sometime I'll see if I can get a obd2 reader and check the temps.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Today was 60 degrees..temp gauge just a hair above 1/4 mark and idle was at 900.. My l200 (which has a completely different motor 2.2l..) idles at 750-800 and 3/8ths of the gauge...same for our sl2 which has the same motor as the sc2... Anybody have any ideas? Does this sound like a thermostat issue?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #11
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

The best bet is to get an actual operating temp with a thermometer in the return line going to the reservoir. Either our temp is low, or the ECTS is possibly reporting the temp lower than it is. Either might cause the idle to stay higher as the engine is trying to get to full normal operating temp.

If you have some type of reader to get the live data you can test ECTS reported temp vs actual temp as well. That would be handy since you can see where the temp is when driving and under loads.

It's possible it's the thermostat. But really without testing I wouldn't pay all that much attention to the gauge. As for exacts of what coolant temp will allow warm idle, it may vary with emissions calibration/programming changes.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
The best bet is to get an actual operating temp with a thermometer in the return line going to the reservoir. Either our temp is low, or the ECTS is possibly reporting the temp lower than it is. Either might cause the idle to stay higher as the engine is trying to get to full normal operating temp.

If you have some type of reader to get the live data you can test ECTS reported temp vs actual temp as well. That would be handy since you can see where the temp is when driving and under loads.

It's possible it's the thermostat. But really without testing I wouldn't pay all that much attention to the gauge. As for exacts of what coolant temp will allow warm idle, it may vary with emissions calibration/programming changes.
Dealer read the temp while programing a keyfob for the car...it was 132f so I changed the thermostat out and now the car heats up good and idles low...but now a new issue. Sitting at a stop light it idles at 800 or so and then it will randomly choke out and then catch it self and rev up to 1200 and settle back down. It does it randomly...kind of frequently, like 2 or 3 times in 1 stop light. Any ideas??
Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

The hunting idle can be caused by a number of things. Usually a gummy throttle body or IAC valve can contribute, but often the general state of the plugs and wires will be a big factor as well.

I had the impression you have already pulled and cleaned the TB and IAC, so it might be worth taking a look at the plugs.

BTW is this an automatic or manual transmission car?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
The hunting idle can be caused by a number of things. Usually a gummy throttle body or IAC valve can contribute, but often the general state of the plugs and wires will be a big factor as well.

I had the impression you have already pulled and cleaned the TB and IAC, so it might be worth taking a look at the plugs.

BTW is this an automatic or manual transmission car?
The IAC is new, the tb is squeaky clean..it's a manual Haha. The plugs and wires are new and the coils have been cleaned up and the surfaces they mount to. This motor has just over 80k on it...strange that it acts like this. It doesn't even burn oil yet! Haha.

I love this car and it's fun to drive..just has small quirks! The miss only happened once today with 30 minutes of stop and go driving. I left it idling and couldn't get it to do it. When it missed it dropped to 600 and shot up to 1000 and back down to idle. The only thing I could do to make it sort of do it is turn the blower on full blast heat(assuming the alternator puts drag on the motor) and the motor drops for a second and comes back up. The a/c doesn't work nor does the compressor clutch engage when this happens. No idea what it is!