SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
lunareclipse02
lunareclipse02 is on a distinguished road

Default Regretting Buying My Vue

Last month my wifes old Cavalier went out which I drove to work. (She drives the new Fusion now). So I went car shopping. I wanted a Equinox, I looked at one which was junk due to being ragged out. The dealer wanted to know what I wanted. So I told him 05 year and up, under 100k miles and price tag of 9k and under. My main agenda was a small suv with excellent gas mileage. He showed me this 2006 Saturn Vue 4cyl auto. What grabbed my eye was the storm gray color (which is my favorite color on cars). I took it for a drive it seemed not bad. It had 70k miles very clean one owner car. An older lady owned it and traded it in for a new Jeep. I thought ok sounds perfect. I think I paid a little too much which is 8k. And of course I got extended power train warranty and some other crap. Been driving it for a month I am hating it. The things I hate....... No power! I mean come on this thing is slow, does not want to pass anyone on highway this motor hates highways speeds. It struggles to go uphill and if you have 4 passengers good luck. It cant tow crap. The motor makes whinning noises under serious load while a/c is on. Already spent $600 dollars in parts. Within the first 3 weeks had a bad strut rod leak. Everytime the body bounced you car hear a moan and skreak in the suspension. So with my own time I replaced the struts, mounts, sway bar links, tie rod ends and shocks. Got all that done and noticed I still had a front end clunk. Did some more looking and found out the inner tie rod ends are bad. Come on at 70k? I must admit it does ride better but this motor still sucks. The four speed I am always struggling to keep the rpms down for better gas mileage which makes it hard to climb to 55 mph. It will take me a 10 min it seems to get to highways speeds if I try to keep my rpm's under 3k through the gears. LOL Terrible

The more I look at it everyday cause its still new in my eyes, the design of this thing is bothering me more. I hate the rear end of this vehicle it looks like it came from the mid 80's station wagon. Very ugly, I love the front but the rear of this car I hate. The tail lights look boring and old and the rear has no curve just flat. The more I see the Pontiac Torrent and the Equinox the more I love their look. And I am thinking it is the same year in GM. Why didnt they change the styling in the back of the Vue in some way to make it look more modern to compete with the Equinox or Torrent. Now I am kicking myself in the ass everytime I see an Equinox or Torrent pass by my stomach turns. Why did my mind want to buy this Vue? I am stuck with this car till it goes out or I win the lottery (which wont happen) or I can pray someone hits me and total it out!!! The wife said I chose it and live with it. Am I the only one who thinks this of thier Vue? It seemed to get very good reviews from Cars.com even better compared to the Equinox in the same year. SIGH I am dumb!!!

Last edited by lunareclipse02; 09-04-2013 at 06:58 AM.
lunareclipse02 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Regretting Buying My Vue

Vue, Equinox, Torrent all same vehicle.
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I'd regret buying a car that I didn't test drive very well and paid 2-3 K over blue book, too.

Lesson learned.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

The Eak and the Torrent are 3 inches longer than the Vue. That's why the rear hatch has a more sloped look. I personally like the shape of the Vue better. The Eak/Torrent look too disproportional to me. Anyway, everyone's automotive likes and dislikes are subjective. If you really want an Eak/Torrent, I would advise you to trade in your Vue and get one.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

good reason for a good test drive before buying. you probably should have gotten a v6 and would be much happier with it.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

The 4 cylinder is what it is- a small motor in a mid-sized SUV with the aerodynamics of a brick. Yes, it is going to be spinning fast on the highway and have no power with a load and the AC on. You should combine both of those things AND live in Denver like I did with mine. I haven't driven an automatic 4 cylinder, but the manual certainly helps. But at city and low highway speeds it does well on MPG.

You mention towing and you bought a 4 cylinder- how much do you plan on towing?

The rear end of the VUE certainly isn't its best side. Different wheels with a better offset and wider tires help.

The front suspension is pretty much junk. Hard to deny that. I recently bought a 2006 Mariner with 3000 more miles than my VUE and it rides much more solidly and quietly than my VUE. I do love that.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Also, stop trying to keep it under 3,000 RPM. The torque peak of the Ecotec is at 4,200 RPM - let it actually get into the powerband. It's also going to be more economical getting to speed quickly rather than constantly accelerating at a low grade.

The 4 speed automatic in those is bulletproof, but its simplicity of design is also going to lead to it falling out of the powerband more. The automatic does sap quite a bit of power out of the 4 cylinder, though - it's more than adequate with the 5 speed.

It sounds like your test drive and pre-purchase research were not adequate.

Aesthetics are a matter of opinion - I personally find the Torrent and Equinox to be hideous all around, particularly the rear. The suspension on the VUE is known junk, but the one thing that really can't be faulted is the powertrain combination you have. From a longevity and durability standpoint, it is the strongest in the VUE lineup.
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

I don't mind mine 05. Mind you it is 5 speed but I still find it gutless.
But if I want some guts, I jump on my bike
I find it just fine putting around town and on the highway I don't try to pass everyone but just relax in the slow lane and get there 5 minute later but stress less.
I find suspension to be ok, mine had 132k km and feels fine, no moaning or anything. I find this beast boringly adequate for the job at hand.
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunareclipse02 View Post
Last month my wifes old Cavalier went out which I drove to work. (She drives the new Fusion now). So I went car shopping. I wanted a Equinox, I looked at one which was junk due to being ragged out. The dealer wanted to know what I wanted. So I told him 05 year and up, under 100k miles and price tag of 9k and under. My main agenda was a small suv with excellent gas mileage. He showed me this 2006 Saturn Vue 4cyl auto. What grabbed my eye was the storm gray color (which is my favorite color on cars). I took it for a drive it seemed not bad. It had 70k miles very clean one owner car. An older lady owned it and traded it in for a new Jeep. I thought ok sounds perfect. I think I paid a little too much which is 8k. And of course I got extended power train warranty and some other crap. Been driving it for a month I am hating it. The things I hate....... No power! I mean come on this thing is slow, does not want to pass anyone on highway this motor hates highways speeds. It struggles to go uphill and if you have 4 passengers good luck. It cant tow crap. The motor makes whinning noises under serious load while a/c is on. Already spent $600 dollars in parts. Within the first 3 weeks had a bad strut rod leak. Everytime the body bounced you car hear a moan and skreak in the suspension. So with my own time I replaced the struts, mounts, sway bar links, tie rod ends and shocks. Got all that done and noticed I still had a front end clunk. Did some more looking and found out the inner tie rod ends are bad. Come on at 70k? I must admit it does ride better but this motor still sucks. The four speed I am always struggling to keep the rpms down for better gas mileage which makes it hard to climb to 55 mph. It will take me a 10 min it seems to get to highways speeds if I try to keep my rpm's under 3k through the gears. LOL Terrible

The more I look at it everyday cause its still new in my eyes, the design of this thing is bothering me more. I hate the rear end of this vehicle it looks like it came from the mid 80's station wagon. Very ugly, I love the front but the rear of this car I hate. The tail lights look boring and old and the rear has no curve just flat. The more I see the Pontiac Torrent and the Equinox the more I love their look. And I am thinking it is the same year in GM. Why didnt they change the styling in the back of the Vue in some way to make it look more modern to compete with the Equinox or Torrent. Now I am kicking myself in the ass everytime I see an Equinox or Torrent pass by my stomach turns. Why did my mind want to buy this Vue? I am stuck with this car till it goes out or I win the lottery (which wont happen) or I can pray someone hits me and total it out!!! The wife said I chose it and live with it. Am I the only one who thinks this of thier Vue? It seemed to get very good reviews from Cars.com even better compared to the Equinox in the same year. SIGH I am dumb!!!
I guess the old adage applies here...
"Different strokes for different folks".
I have a 2007 VUE and a 2007 ION and I absolutely love both cars but am particularly fond of the VUE which I drive most of the time. You are absolutely correct in stating that it is gutless especially under load but curiously, I think the back end and side view is more aesthetically pleasing than the front of the vehicle. In my opinion the Torrent and Equinox look tall and narrow from the rear view. Furthermore, given our winters and salt useage, how many vehicles out there still look this good after 7 years?
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

When I purchased my Vue, I test drove both the 2.2 I4 and the 3.5 V6. By comparison the I4 was very anemic, and not what I was looking for. This was very clear on the test drive... it sounds like you may not have driven it under what you would consider 'normal' conditions.

I totally agree on the different strokes for different folks statement. With purchasing a new vehicle it helps to know what you are looking for and buying something that fits that need. We've had the Vue for six years now, and other than a leak from the high pressure seal on the trans, and the standard tea pot squeal from the drive shaft, since it is AWD, it has been a charm to own and drive. I have personally just taken to ignoring the squeaks and groans from the suspension. Once I notice a performance loss, I'll get them swapped.

As to the back end, I love having the square back end on the Vue, it means I don't ever have to worry that something that fits at the bottom of the door won't fit at the top. Sure the square cut may not be the most attractive, but it is the most functional.
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
lunareclipse02

I am not trying to make excuses for myself. I know this is all my doing and I should of done tons more research on this vehicle before I jumped aboard. My thoughts at the time. Its a GM, same platform as the Equinox, price compared to other vehicles of same year and milage was less. Yes I wanted to have a Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV4. But I am not wanting to spend 12k+ on the year and mileage I got my VUE for. When I test drove it everything seemed good. I didnt hear any rattles or bumps down the road. Of course I only test drove on flat roadways so I couldnt tell the lacking of the I4 and I didnt use the A/C that much on test drove day due it wasnt warm out side. But after owning it for a couple of months now I found all the gremlins.

Dont get me wrong this vehicle does have a pro list. For one the price compared to its rivals, cup holder placement compared to the Equinox and Torrent, very cheap parts (gobs of cheap parts for this thing on ebay), common ecotec motor, turning radius I think is good, and love the color
The cons low horspower and low end torque of this motor, its a auto 4 speed, the radio due to changing out, no rear hatch glass opening, suspension, OnStar sucks, and overall design in the rear.

More about the design on why I dislike it more I look at it and think about it. I understand and can live with the flat gate in the back. I get your arguements upon fitting objects without worrying about the top fitting and I agree. My main complaint why didnt GM change the tail lights at least. Make them wrap into the body more or even make the tail lights go into the hatch of the door, at least made some kind of effort to make the model change stand out. When I see another Vue from the rear I cant tell which one it is, till I see the front.

I have to say one thing I am sorry if I upset any Saturn Fanboys. I just know this Saturn is not for me and I am starting to realize GM is probably not for me. This is my first GM besides driving my wifes old Cavalier. I always bought imorts like Toyota or Honda. In the end this is all my doings and all my faults. I am sorry that I had to vent onto the Saturn Fanboys. You guys are great and helped a lot with the front suspension issues. Now I just need to figure out what to get for me to fit a double din radio.

Thanks Guys
Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Typically one advisable thing would be to not refer to owners as "fanboys"...
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
Chev_Ron
Chev_Ron is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Too bad that your Vue is giving you such heartache. I love my Vue. It's got everything I wanted in a vehicle at the time I was looking to buy (power locks/windows, moonroof, very good gas milage, silver color and most important of all, a manual transmission). I really like the size of it and the dent resistant body panels are an added bonus.

I agree that the suspension could've been designed better to prevent clunking but mine doesn't clunk that badly. Also I agree that it is not as refined as a Honda or Toyota, but for the money, it is hard to beat.

I have to disagree with you on the power. I find it more than adequete for my needs. I am really suprised and pleased with the passing power from 50 mph plus. I have no trouble passing people in 5th gear from these speeds. Acceleration could be better, but I'm not in high school anymore, so hard acceleration is something I don't do often.
Chev_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
lunareclipse02

Update to my issues on my Vue. Within the last week I have noticed I hear a vibration in the rear while the vehicle is at idle. It is worse when it is in gear or reverse sitting at idle. To me it sounds like it is a loose muffler mount or a bolt in the exhaust is getting loose. So I took it down to the muffler shop and showed him the issue and he agrees its not right. The car idles low which is 600 rpms. He questions if that is the correct idle. But regardless we made an appointment for tuesday to see if a mount is missing or loose. Told my wife she is pissed, she thinks we bought a lemon or someone elses problem. She is mad due to the fact we replaced every part in the front end except for ball joints and wheel bearings. Now this........... I know its not a big issue like a transmission or motor falure which I am telling her but to her its still going to the shop. My Vue whoas are getting to me........................
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

On my '92 S-series, I had the tail pipe rattle against the rear subframe when the top motor mount was bad. Replaced the mount and that got rid of the rattle.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
lunareclipse02

Thanks Tom I think he mentioned something about the motor mount. I am sure he can find out what the issue is. He is a good trusted mechanic but he specializes in custom exhaust and rebuilds custom cars.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
Venom
Venom is on a distinguished road

Being that an older lady owned it then the maintenance was likely terrible on the car.

As for the Vue itself, well I have a 2006 with the V6 AWD and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned in terms on maintenance.

As for the 4 cyl, there is a reason I bought the V6, the 4 cyl sucks IMHO. I test drove both when I went to buy and came home with the V6 AWD version. The 4 cyl fuel economy is marginally better and the V6 has enough power to get out of its own way.

As for towing, yeah the 4 cyl is not a towing vehicle. They rate it at just 1,500 lbs of towing capacity but once you start looking at the gross vehicle weight and gross combined vehicle weight ratings you will quickly discover that the 1500 lbs rating only applies if its you and 1 other skinny person in the Vue.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
lunareclipse02

From the CarFax reports she did a lot of routine check ups on it. She changed the brakes at 60k along with flushing all fluids including the transmission. She just changed the air filter along with the cabin filter. I think I just purchased this vehicle at the worst time of its life. Or maybe she knew the issues that was arising hence of the trade in. I am not sure exactly from what or why she traded it in but she made a good move on her part.