SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Yngpreach
Junior Member
Yngpreach is on a distinguished road
 
Yngpreach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 10

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Im out of options and $$$

I bout a 2000 Saturn LS2 1 owner w/ 104000 miles roughly 3 years ago. It now has 140000 miles now and a Beautiful car. I have two problems with this car.

1. Im only getting 245 miles per tank of gas, weather I drive it on the highway or in the city.
Here is what I have done. Timing belt & water pump replaced @ 108000, Fuel filter changed, cabin air filter, under the hood air filter changed, oil is changed every 3000 miles. Throttle Body & MAS has been cleaned out, tires are rotated and balanced every other oil change. Spark plugs changed, and fuel injection cleaner has been used and I still only get 245 miles per tank of gas.

2. PROBLEM TWO.
Im having a big issue of this car cranking but not turning over. It's happening now more than ever. One day it wont start. I will let it sit for a couple days, come out to the car and it will start right up, i can drive it for a few days and then the same thing will happen a again. I will have it towed to my mechanic and it will start for him. I pick it up, i can drive it for a few days, same thing happens again. I will try to start it for 3 days straight, NOTHING! I have it towed to the dealership, it starts for them and they tell me nothing is wrong with my car.

Im tired of spending money on tows, diagnoses and Im sick of looking like an idiot. Some please give me some insight.

Last edited by Yngpreach; 07-03-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added additional information
Yngpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 43,873
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Which engine is this?
...
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold
 
Chazberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,103

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngpreach View Post
2. PROBLEM TWO.
Im having a big issue of this car cranking but not turning over. It's happening now more than ever. One day it wont start. I will let it sit for a couple days, come out to the car and it will start right up, i can drive it for a few days and then the same thing will happen a again. I will have it towed to my mechanic and it will start for him. I pick it up, i can drive it for a few days, same thing happens again. I will try to start it for 3 days straight, NOTHING! I have it towed to the dealership, it starts for them and they tell me nothing is wrong with my car.
Welcome aboard. I'm thinking this is the 3.0L V6?
My first thought - an intermittent Crankshaft Position Sensor can give you these symptoms.
You also might do better re-posting this in the L-series Tech section.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Yngpreach
Junior Member
Yngpreach is on a distinguished road
 
Yngpreach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 10

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

This is the 3.0 V6

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Welcome aboard. I'm thinking this is the 3.0L V6?
My first thought - an intermittent Crankshaft Position Sensor can give you these symptoms.
You also might do better re-posting this in the L-series Tech section.
Yngpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 43,873
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

As mentioned, add the engine and model to your personal profile so it pops up under your name. And search the L-series tech threads about intermittent crank position sensor faults.

We have members confusing L-series with S-series, one engine for another, etc., and we wind up playing twenty questions.

If this is a cps issue, all starting attempts will flood the engine without a start. Whatever the outcome, try starting without throttle and if the engine doesn't fire up, hold the pedal to the floor for all subsequent starts - this tells the ecm to shut off injectors while starting to dry out the engine and allow the spark to work instead of shorting from soaked plugs.

The cps is next to the oil filter. There are many 'experts' that don't recognize intermittent failures. Here on Saturnfans its a recurrence across a few models with the same symptoms.
...
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Yngpreach
Junior Member
Yngpreach is on a distinguished road
 
Yngpreach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 10

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As mentioned, add the engine and model to your personal profile so it pops up under your name. And search the L-series tech threads about intermittent crank position sensor faults.

We have members confusing L-series with S-series, one engine for another, etc., and we wind up playing twenty questions.

If this is a cps issue, all starting attempts will flood the engine without a start. Whatever the outcome, try starting without throttle and if the engine doesn't fire up, hold the pedal to the floor for all subsequent starts - this tells the ecm to shut off injectors while starting to dry out the engine and allow the spark to work instead of shorting from soaked plugs.

The cps is next to the oil filter. There are many 'experts' that don't recognize intermittent failures. Here on Saturnfans its a recurrence across a few models with the same symptoms.
Yngpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold
 
Chazberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,103

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

To test the CKP, check the resistance. A good one reads 900-1000 Ohms across the terminals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CKP.JPG (87.5 KB, 203 views)
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
Mkharris
Junior Member
Mkharris is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 41
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
To test the CKP, check the resistance. A good one reads 900-1000 Ohms across the terminals.
This helps so much. We have replaced this sensor 3 times already. However it has never caused our car to do this. So we just simply figured it was something else.
Mkharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
markwood007788
Junior Member
markwood007788 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 17
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

I will miss the Saturn client benefit philosophy the greater part of all. Up until now, the approved specialist co-op has not satisfied my desires. One would believe that they would take something that did work and add it to their plan of action. IT appears that GM and their merchants simply need to delete all hints of Saturn. Much appreciated Charlie for keeping Saturns memory alive. It is much valued. Cheerful New Year to all.
markwood007788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:28 AM   #10
licmarcos
Junior Member
licmarcos is on a distinguished road
 
licmarcos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Which engine is this?
licmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:51 PM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough
 
GR898SL2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by licmarcos View Post
Which engine is this?
3.0L (181 ci) V6 (GM internal code L81) Also known as the '54-degree' and "Ellsemere" V6, sourced from Opel. It was built from 1994-2004.

...
No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #12
SaltSilly
New Member
SaltSilly is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

This idea looks like one thatís not going to be easy to implement. There are many organizational aspects that can then be forced to abandon this. To ensure that this does not happen Contractor Scheduling Software Itís a pretty convenient thing, and you can make lots of graphs and keep it all in your head. I used it on other projects and this thing was really useful to me
SaltSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
stivemorgan
New Member
stivemorgan is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5
Default Re: Im out of options and $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
3.0L (181 ci) V6 (GM internal code L81) Also known as the '54-degree' and "Ellsemere" V6, sourced from Opel. It was built from 1994-2004.

Hi there. Interesting, is it reliable engine or usually there are a lot of problems with it? Thanks
stivemorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sky options? Green98SC2 Sky General 26 03-30-2006 01:28 PM
Options Dj_Xao L-Series General 2 01-15-2004 11:55 AM
Must have Options SW2Muck General Saturn Discussion 25 09-03-2003 09:44 AM
What options? KJB Vue General 3 07-01-2003 06:46 PM
Options LWZen Ion General 13 11-29-2001 10:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.