SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion > Canadian Saturn Owners

Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Mad Saturn canada closing dec 31/2009 letter

hi
finally got the letter from saturn stating that saturn canada would be shutting down as of dec 31/2009.
all service and warranty work will be switched to a yet unnamed chevy dealer in my area.

there is a 1-800# in the letter to call with any concerns/questions.
i think i am going to call up and ask for the best extended warranty they can give me(for free).
after all when we bought the car in april, saturn stated that it was going to be around until 2012,and did not state that if saturn was sold that saturn canada would be fully shut down.
people are having problems finding parts in a timely manner as it is,can you imagine after dec 31st when you have to go to you nearest (i don't give a rats ***** about your saturn)chevy dealer.
at least some saturns have siblings that are other gm cars ,the astra does not.
ours is a one off orphan sold for 1 model year in the us and 2 model years in canada.

arughhhhh

we should all get together and try and get something back for this fiasco.
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Adam Opel
Adam Opel is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn canada closing dec 31/2009 letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg1 View Post
we should all get together and try and get something back for this fiasco.
A class action law-suit forcing GM to buy back all Astras.
Adam Opel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

you guys did not listen when last year people said anybody buying a new Saturn (not just the Astra) was being a fool....in fact I got shut down several times on this forum for saying that.
Good luck with the lawsuit, honestly I don't think you have any remote chances of winning it.
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Adam Opel

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
you guys did not listen when last year people said anybody buying a new Saturn (not just the Astra) was being a fool....in fact I got shut down several times on this forum for saying that.
Good luck with the lawsuit, honestly I don't think you have any remote chances of winning it.
What about all the unsuspecting people who bought a Pontiac? Are they fools, too? Is it their fault that GM is replacing the conditions of their contract, too? Did they ever agree to a service by Chevrolet dealer?
How about another orphaned car: the G8?
Is the executive guy who paid 50,000 for the Pontiac brand image a fool, too, now that he has to hang out with the all rough necks at the Chevrolet dealer?
I never entered into a contract with Chevrolet, GM would never have gotten my money in the first place if that was the case.
Another example: in Canada, the Honda Civic sells for 30,000 in the form of Acura CSX. The only way you would pay the premium is if you believe that there is some exclusivity that the brand entails, otherwise you would not pay 30,000 for a Civic. If one day they tell you that your Acura is now a Honda, then an essential part of the contract doesn't exist anymore and you should seek to repudiate it.

I think we actually have a pretty decent chance at a class-action if enough people are interested and the right lawyer gets involved.

Last edited by Adam Opel; 09-07-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
kbg1

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

hi
i would say the chances of getting a non existing company to buy back anything is slim to none.
in the united states you are in a much better position as saturn will still exist ,albeit with a new owner(penske).
there for you would have someone to sue.

here in canada, saturn is not going to exist in any form other than a soon to be forgotten brand.
who would we sue, new gm,old gm or saturncanada???

i can tell you if i had bought my car thru saturn financing or gmac ,i would almost be tempted to return it to the lot and stop paying.

i really like the astra,but here in canada once parts get scarce what do we do?
i do not think that my local gm dealer is going to stock many parts for the astra ,also how much training are the techs going to get on this car(probably not much)

will gm provide a loaner for more than a week if the parts have to come from europe??

the saturn promise now becomes the gm promise.
jeff
Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
kbg1

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Opel View Post
What about all the unsuspecting people who bought a Pontiac? Are they fools, too? Is it their fault that GM is replacing the conditions of their contract, too? Did they ever agree to a service by Chevrolet dealer?
How about another orphaned car: the G8?
Is the executive guy who paid 50,000 for the Pontiac brand image a fool, too, now that he has to hang out with the all rough necks at the Chevrolet dealer?
I never entered into a contract with Chevrolet, GM would never have gotten my money in the first place if that was the case.
Another example: in Canada, the Honda Civic sells for 30,000 in the form of Acura CSX. The only way you would pay the premium is if you believe that there is some exclusivity that the brand entails, otherwise you would not pay 30,000 for a Civic. If one day they tell you that your Acura is now a Honda, then an essential part of the contract doesn't exist anymore and you should seek to repudiate it.

I think we actually have a pretty decent chance at a class-action if enough people are interested and the right lawyer gets involved.
pontiac is an entirely different matter.
most pontiacs have a sibling chevy ,unlike the astra which has no sibling at all.

the pontiacs are north american and alot of the parts(other than body)should be available for a long time.
evan the ion shares the same underpinnings with the cobalt and pontiac models
the g8 is unique and should not be categorized with normal pontiacs.

i wonder does the aura have a chevy sibling???
Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Adam Opel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg1 View Post
hi
i would say the chances of getting a non existing company to buy back anything is slim to none.
in the united states you are in a much better position as saturn will still exist ,albeit with a new owner(penske).
there for you would have someone to sue.

here in canada, saturn is not going to exist in any form other than a soon to be forgotten brand.
who would we sue, new gm,old gm or saturncanada???

i can tell you if i had bought my car thru saturn financing or gmac ,i would almost be tempted to return it to the lot and stop paying.

i really like the astra,but here in canada once parts get scarce what do we do?
i do not think that my local gm dealer is going to stock many parts for the astra ,also how much training are the techs going to get on this car(probably not much)

will gm provide a loaner for more than a week if the parts have to come from europe??

the saturn promise now becomes the gm promise.
jeff
The chances are not slim to none. There is a breach of contract on part of GM.
I have financed throught GMAC. Does it mean I am making payments to a non-existing company?
There must be lots of consumer protection lawyers out there who would love to take on a giant corporation on a contingency basis.

Last edited by Adam Opel; 09-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
kbg1

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Mad Re: Saturn canada closing dec 31/2009 letter

i just saw this thread on redflag deals.
2009 astra xe $10,995

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=786849

possibly they will give us a new left over one as spare parts

they will soon be in the aveo $9995 territory!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I have no problems in keeping my SATURNs no matter who does my GM 72month 75,000 mile bumper to bumper 0 deductible warranty work. It just sucks eggs they could not keep SATURN going in the great white north.
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Alman
Alman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
I have no problems in keeping my SATURNs no matter who does my GM 72month 75,000 mile bumper to bumper 0 deductible warranty work. It just sucks eggs they could not keep SATURN going in the great white north.
yeah i'm in the same boat...local GM dealer is still doing all warranty work so i'm not really worried about it...parts will be available(may take longer to get it from overseas) but i guess i'm one of the lucky ones
Alman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
KillerX
KillerX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

You guys could always come to London

http://www.lfpress.ca/newsstand/News...13806-sun.html

I was talking to these guys the other day, they purchased every dealers old stock and they say thats enough to get them through till about 2011 plus after that, they say with the amount of saturns on the road the shop will still be open after that and selling old saturns

Brad
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR

Just in case anybody was seriously considering one of the Astra XE-5's that the Red Flag Deals site pointed to: They are legit offers, under the fine print.
I called 2 of the Montreal dealers to find out for myself, and of course, there is a catch:
The $10,995 price advertised is for a Base Model, Manual transmission car with no options. For some "strange" reason it would seem that they don't have any of these cars to sell. (probably because they never had one to begin with) When is the last time any of you were at any new car dealer and looked at any new car that didn't at least have A/C??

At any rate, the cheapest car you're going to get your hands on is going to be $12,245 because you're not going to find a new Astra without factory A/C. Pretty slick ad...
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
mnementh
mnementh will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

You folks who are talking lawsuit need to understand something; the company you want to sue has declared BANKRUPTCY. This means a lot of legal BS... most of which will NOT go in your favor, and most likely will NOT have litigators lining up to take YOUR CASE.

Bottom line - the company you bought your car from IS NOT the same company now providing your service, even if you bought a GM product that is still part of the GM lineup. The company who FINANCED your car, however... they ARE STILL the same company, so you do STILL HAVE TO PAY THEM. ( I know, it SUCKS... but this company is from America, where (Insert Name Here) Corporation is ALWAYS more important than a mere CITIZEN. Cives Romani my hindfoot...

mnem
Government of the people, by THE CORPORATION for THE CORPORATION...
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
You folks who are talking lawsuit need to understand something; the company you want to sue has declared BANKRUPTCY. This means a lot of legal BS... most of which will NOT go in your favor, and most likely will NOT have litigators lining up to take YOUR CASE.

Bottom line - the company you bought your car from IS NOT the same company now providing your service, even if you bought a GM product that is still part of the GM lineup. The company who FINANCED your car, however... they ARE STILL the same company, so you do STILL HAVE TO PAY THEM. ( I know, it SUCKS... but this company is from America, where (Insert Name Here) Corporation is ALWAYS more important than a mere CITIZEN. Cives Romani my hindfoot...

mnem
Government of the people, by THE CORPORATION for THE CORPORATION...
Wrong ... wrong .... wrong if you are talking about Canada

Gm Canada was never and is not BANKRUPT.
Saturn in Canada is/was part of Gm Canada.
Gm Canada is the same company as before . The parent old Gm USA was/is BANKRUPT
2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I do believe that we Vue owners are in much the same boat as Astra owners. To the best of my knowledge there are no Vue equivalents in the Chevy lineup. Heaven help us all.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
mnementh

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadler View Post
Wrong ... wrong .... wrong if you are talking about Canada

Gm Canada was never and is not BANKRUPT.
Saturn in Canada is/was part of Gm Canada.
Gm Canada is the same company as before . The parent old Gm USA was/is BANKRUPT
Where did you get the idea that "GM Canada" is somehow different from "GM USA" ? You are talking about a multinational company; they're ALL in the same steambath. They went bankrupt to evade/restructure debts owed to many creditors in many nations. You think because you're NOT the US YOU guys in Canada should get special treatment?

You're lucky you're able to get warranty service AT ALL and you're whining about losing "Market Cache"; where is the market cache in owning a dead brand? They could just close the entire division and leave half of you twisting like Chrysler did with AMC...

And all of you who bought GM product in the last decade - if you didn't KNOW GM was headed down the drain due to gross mismanagement, it's YOUR OWN FAULT. People who KNOW BETTER - the people you SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO BUT IGNORED - have been telling EVERYBODY that GM was going to explode for the last 20 years. You just decided to take the gamble it wouldn't happen while it was YOUR CAR in question, and YOU LOST. SUCK IT UP.

And if you think for one moment that GM is somehow better now than before the bankruptcy, you are in for a rude awakening. They still have most of the same idiots in charge; the stupidity of getting rid of the ONLY brand they carried that had ANY "Quality Image" left - Saturn - is proof of that.

They still plan to keep making idiotic crap like the Hybrid Escalade and the Volt, whose pricetag puts it out of reach of 70% of those who SHOULD be buying an electric car, and whose manufacturing Carbon Footprint is almost 5 times that of anything out there due to wasteful use of exotic materials in both the shell and powertrain. You can cut your overall carbon foot print down by 70%-80% compared to one of these turds simply by saving a 6-year old Saturn from the boneyard and plugging a new/used motor into it (which is what I've done 3 times now for all my family), plus you don't have to worry about battery packs full of exotic poisonous metals contaminating the water supply for your grandchildren.

GM is STILL circling the drain; all they did was push their entire customer base down the hole BEFORE THEM to slow their descent. Good luck with your lawsuit. I'll get popcorn...

mnem<~~~ Not holding his breath ~~~<<<
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

All I hope in this Saturn mess...is someone at GM burns in HELL.

Thank you....Have a nice day.
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
sissonct
sissonct is on a distinguished road

I think THIS thread needs a FEW more capital WORDS in the replies
sissonct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Saturn of Canada

The Road Well Traveled becomes The Road Less Traveled, soon to dead end.
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #20
mnementh

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissonct View Post
I think THIS thread needs a FEW more capital WORDS in the replies
PTTTTTTTTTT! ;P

Sorry aboot that... I just get a bit tired of listening to people whine about the evils perpetrated by those who run the companies they buy from when they knew about those evils beforehand...

*Puts soapbox up in the closet*

So... how about that new Reventon? Personally, I think it looks a lot like the Gallardo only stretched out a bit more, if that's possible...

mnem<~~~ Subject-changer extraordinaire ~~~<<<