SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Guess at my steering groan (hint $0.50 fix)

Just bought the car and the next day I hear a scary groan when turning the wheel at low/zero speed. Guess the cause!

strut bearings? nope.
CV joint? nope
Steering rack? no.
ball joint? no.
suspension bushing? no.
Tie rod ends? kinda!

Turns out the car had previously had tie rod ends replaced and the aftermarket units had grease zerks. Bone dry, not lubed for probably the two years the previous guy owned it. Smooth as silk now. Haven't owned a car with grease zerks since my 1983 Oldsmobile....
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Guess at my steering groan (hint $0.50 fix)

I just greased mine the other day

I haven't noticed any differences, but I'm happy knowing they're lubricated!
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

D'oh, you are lucky. My 94 has the original non-greasable ones on it and the boots are blown out on both of them. Not hard to change but still why couldn't they have been serviceable from the factory
Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

/\ Becuz uS 0Wn3rs is noT cApablE to taKes CarE of OuR owN cArs.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
groingo
groingo is on a distinguished road

The greaseless joints can be greased using a grease Hypo which is a big bore needle that attaches to the end of your grease gun, just insert needle into the lower or upper portion of the boot and apply grease untill the boot has a spongy feel, remove hypo and you are done.
94 Saturn SW1 (Cash for Clunkers Reject....no kidding)
96 SL2 (Rescued)
groingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I haven't replaced the tie rod ends on my 96.. I assume you can get aftermarkets with zerk fittings on them?

My ball joints I think have grease fittings. I hit them last time I was under there whatever they were.. I can't even remember.. haha..

I do like having grease fittings so I can apply grease whenever its needed.

Can see on my dads Maxima, all but one non serviceable part has been changed, and the non-greasable ball joint on the drivers side is all crusty and dry... Can't wait til she starts making noise so a better one can go in. (I don't replace these type of things until they're needed)
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I call BS. There's no way you can pack 50 cents worth of grease into those ball joints. Even if it's high-end synthetic waterproof marine aerospace grade grease, I say 10 cents worth, tops.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Yeah, but you have to account for labor. And wear and tear on the grease gun and grease coupler, wear on the lug wrench...

I've heard tell of guys drilling and tapping non-greaseable parts for grease fittings to make them serviceable. Sounds like a lot of wasted effort to me, but I guess if there's no aftermarket alternative it'd be an okay idea. I just replaced my OEM tie rod ends with Raybestos ones; They cost me something stupid like eleven dollars each from Rock Auto and that seemed like a much better idea to me. And they have grease fittings. (And a little blurb in the instruction leaflet reminding you to grease them...)
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_DgZ View Post
Yeah, but you have to account for labor. And wear and tear on the grease gun and grease coupler, wear on the lug wrench...

I've heard tell of guys drilling and tapping non-greaseable parts for grease fittings to make them serviceable. Sounds like a lot of wasted effort to me, but I guess if there's no aftermarket alternative it'd be an okay idea. I just replaced my OEM tie rod ends with Raybestos ones; They cost me something stupid like eleven dollars each from Rock Auto and that seemed like a much better idea to me. And they have grease fittings. (And a little blurb in the instruction leaflet reminding you to grease them...)
Yep, I ended up replacing mine with some house brand tie rods from Oriellys for like $8-9 each and they have the grease zerks. As for my rear sway bar links which were quite noisy, the only ones that had greaseable fittings were the MOOG brand ones and they were $36 for 1 link! I ended up paying $20 for each side for Oreillys house brand sway bar links but at least they have a lifetime warr. and they are a heck of a lot stronger than the pencil thin originals
Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
mnementh
mnementh will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

Yeah, my grand-dad useta say "Grease is ALWAYS cheaper than metal." but of course, he lived in the time before planned obsolescence; where saving 7c a car was not only preferable, but it ensured return business when the non-serviceable part failed.

Yay, modern business ethics...

mnem
*Remembers the lessons about business "ethics" learned from "Fight Club"...*
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
Yhe lived in the time before planned obsolescence
Planned Obsolescence usually refers to vehicle styling, which has been a part of the automotive experience for the last 80 years.

What has taken place is a higher reliance on common platforms and systems - unfortunately, us S Series folks missed out on alot of that... . The S series was somewhat of an technological dead end - it only spawned 3 vehicles - and not much commonality beyond that.

We've gone from separate serviceable parts to entire replacement components when making repairs. I'd guess that the Saturn engineers didn't think we'd be driving their cars at 200,000 and 300,000 miles down the road.
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Planned Obsolescence usually refers to vehicle styling, which has been a part of the automotive experience for the last 80 years.
Well, it refers to obsolescence in all respects, mechanical, technological and cosmetic. They're designed to be not only "out of style", but to give the impression to the typical owner that they're no longer worth maintaining after several years. The two go hand in hand, and not coincidentally.

Quote:
I'd guess that the Saturn engineers didn't think we'd be driving their cars at 200,000 and 300,000 miles down the road.
Not that they didn't _think_ so, but that they don't _want_ you driving the same car 200,000-300,000 miles. This illustrates how planned obsolescence is both an engineering and a styling concept.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
mnementh
mnementh will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post

What has taken place is a higher reliance on common platforms and systems - unfortunately, us S Series folks missed out on alot of that... . The S series was somewhat of an technological dead end - it only spawned 3 vehicles - and not much commonality beyond that.

We've gone from separate serviceable parts to entire replacement components when making repairs. I'd guess that the Saturn engineers didn't think we'd be driving their cars at 200,000 and 300,000 miles down the road.
My AAS in Electronics Tech & Engineering says otherwise; we were routinely driven to DELIBERATELY design for failure within a window - to exceed the warranty period by a comfortable margin, but not design to exceed a period felt reasonable for obsolescence, thus driving product replacement/turnover. This goes as far as deliberately using an inferior capacitor with a shorter life rating in critical areas when one KNOWN to perform more reliably in that type of circuit structure was available at a better price. This happened not once, but repeatedly; it's why I got out of the industry.

I understand the desire for bean counters to switch from component level repair to system level repair; it means they can replace intelligent, skilled technicians with trained monkeys working from a script, AND it means they get to keep a stranglehold on parts supply which means they can charge obscene amounts of money for parts as long as they can keep them out of the hands of the aftermarket, which as businessmen they calculate DOWN TO THE DAY to project profits from quarter to quarter.

Don't imagine ANY DECISION which results in a shorter-lived product is accidental. The design life of American automobiles has been DELIBERATELY shifted from a 10-15 year cycle of the 50-60s to a 60-month cycle; isn't it interesting how that's the "sweet spot" for the finance companies OWNED BY THE CAR MANUFACTURERS who "help" you pay for your car with interest compounded daily...

mnem
Beware the soulless minions of orthodoxy.
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote