SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Silent
Silent is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default a lil help please, 93 saturn sl2... code 43

Used BDM scaning tool to pull the code, "43 - Electr. Spark Control Failure", its the only code that shows up.

the car has a rough idle when cold or warm.... rougher when warmed up, and sometimes starts to stall when coming to a stop sign.

any help would be much appreciated,
thank you.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: a lil help please, 93 saturn sl2... code 43

Welcome to the Forums!

This will give you a better idea what you are looking for.
http://saturnwiki.org/index.php/43_K...pen_or_Shorted

Either the sensor wire is disconnected or pinched somewhere or the knock sensor has died. The knock sensor resistance to ground is approximately 100k ohms if its good.

You should also replace the ECTS if you have not done so. Replace plugs with NGK BKR5ESA-11 and replace plug wires with a direct fit mid priced set. No platinum plugs!

Take the forum jump at the bottom of the page to the How-To Library and read the first 3 sticky posts. The first post is an indiex of and links to the richpin DIY videos. The next 2 deal with ECTS replacement.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Silent

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Welcome to the Forums!
Either the sensor wire is disconnected or pinched somewhere or the knock sensor has died. The knock sensor resistance to ground is approximately 100k ohms if its good.

You should also replace the ECTS if you have not done so. Replace plugs with NGK BKR5ESA-11 and replace plug wires with a direct fit mid priced set. No platinum plugs!

Take the forum jump at the bottom of the page to the How-To Library and read the first 3 sticky posts. The first post is an indiex of and links to the richpin DIY videos. The next 2 deal with ECTS replacement.
Thank you.
I replaced my knock sensor and that got rid of the DTC i was getting (thank you), also i replaced my ECTS, plugs n wires shortly after i got the car.

I sometimes see the SES light on when key is in run position, but engine is not running, when running no SES light at all, so far anyway.

I am getting horrible gas millage, have ever since i bought the car... maybe 250km to a tank of gas.
No DTC's appear when scanned but in "data display" on the BDM scanning tool i noticed QDM FAULT = BOTH and something about low coolant, however the dash light is not on and my coolant is defiantly not low (light on dash does work when coolant is low in reservoir).
The engine has a slight shake, gets worse when the car is at operating temp,
i thought the shake might just be the upper engine mount, so i replaced it and no difference.

any advice/help is appreciated
thank you
Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When you first turn on the key the SES light will come on and stay on for several seconds, this is its self test function. IN some early implementations of the OBD-1 system the SES light stays on until the engine starts. I do not know which implementation the 93 Saturn SL2 uses. In either case it should go out when the engine is running. You should always see the light on when you first go to run with the key but not crank.

To improve fuel mileage will require some diligence.
- What brand of plugs did you install?
- Where does the temperature gauge read when the car is warmed up and you are driving at 35 to 45 mph.

Also, the code set used by Saturn is not generic so if the software you are using does not specifically list Saturn as a supported code set you will get some "odd' data from it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Silent

1993 SL2

Quote:
When you first turn on the key the SES light will come on and stay on for several seconds, this is its self test function. IN some early implementations of the OBD-1 system the SES light stays on until the engine starts. I do not know which implementation the 93 Saturn SL2 uses. In either case it should go out when the engine is running. You should always see the light on when you first go to run with the key but not crank.

To improve fuel mileage will require some diligence.
- What brand of plugs did you install?
- Where does the temperature gauge read when the car is warmed up and you are driving at 35 to 45 mph.

Also, the code set used by Saturn is not generic so if the software you are using does not specifically list Saturn as a supported code set you will get some "odd' data from it.
the plugs are NGK v tipped.
and temp when warmed and driving 35-45 mph is just under the half way mark.
the diagnostic tool used does support saturn, year model and all. also the scan tool shows a 'rich/lean' monitor and is almost always reading 'rich'
Old 04-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Based on the gas mileage that would be it is compensating to richen the mixture. MAP sensor port plugged with goo and defective O2 sensor are possibilities. Also high fuel pressure. Fuel pressure should be 31-36psi at idle and 38-44psi key on engine off, or vacuum line to regulator disconnected. Check that the regulator vacuum line is not cracked. Harbor freight sells a pressure tester cheap 92699. i do not know what you would have to do to get one in Canada though.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Silent

1993 SL2

Quote:
Based on the gas mileage that would be it is compensating to richen the mixture. MAP sensor port plugged with goo and defective O2 sensor are possibilities. Also high fuel pressure. Fuel pressure should be 31-36psi at idle and 38-44psi key on engine off, or vacuum line to regulator disconnected. Check that the regulator vacuum line is not cracked. Harbor freight sells a pressure tester cheap 92699. i do not know what you would have to do to get one in Canada though.
thank you very much for your help, i will check what you have suggested and post what i find, again thank you very much.

(p.s. no worries for the pressure tester, or any other equipment, i have run of a local mechanical/body shop on weekends and after hours during the week.)
Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Thats good, you can never have too many tools.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

One common mistake on first get cars is to replace the wrong coolant temp sensor. There's one for the gauge and one for the PCM. The one for the PCM has two wires going to it. If that's not the one you replaced, the ECTS could still be your problem.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Silent

1993 SL2

i never got to test the fuel pressure, i found the pressure tester but couldn't find the correct fitting for the relief valve on the line.
however, i was checking my vacuum lines again just to be sure no cracks and noticed a little gas in my fuel pressure regulator line from the throttle body so i have ordered in a new one for ~$75. would this explain the ridiculous gas mileage...?
also i will check the map and o2 sensors.

BarnOwl, the ECTS i replaced was the 2 pin one.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That would have shown up with the pressure test. You found the problem. Now, look on the fuel inlet line to the fuel rail. Follow the line back towards the fuel filter you will find a black cap like you find on a tire only its larger, that is the pressure test point. Its right above the clamp that holds the lines. Its in the metal line before the plastic line connects to it.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
Silent

1993 SL2

problem solved, compression = 0 on cyl 2

new, used, engine is comin
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That should cause quite a miss.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
Silent

1993 SL2

ok... new, used, engine in.
no dtc....
idles a little rough, not near as rought as b4 tho

im getting constant readings for QDM Fault = both... (constantly, KOER\KOEO) and also constantly get ( KOER \ KOEO );
EVO Status = on,
EVO Output DC = 99%,
EVO Feedback DC = 0%.

any help at all would be appreciated.