SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
ofogao
ofogao is on a distinguished road

Default Another problem!!!!

I guess you can't expect much from an automatic 98 sl1 with 250, 000 kms on it!

I just finished repairing the hesitation/sputtering problem I had this weekend.

Now the horn doesn't work! I looked at the 10 fuse under the hood, but it looks fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might start with this?

Anything would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Could the -20 degree weather have anything to do with this???

Much appreciated.
ofogao is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Another problem!!!!

well if you have a DVM you can check for power to ground and the ground path of the horn button. If that does not work it is probably time for a new horn.

Inside the horn is a relay. The coil is A-B and it should show continuity when the horn is disconnected and you check between A-B on the HORN. You want to verify the ground on terminal C to body ground.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
ofogao

Thanks OldNuc, I do appreciate your help.

Some questions, if you don't mind.

Does DVM stand for Digital Voltage Meter?

I'm assuming a regular voltage meter would do, right.

I'm assuming these horns tend to go bad, right? Especially those with a built in relay.

I'm heading to the wreckers to look for a horn if I need one. What models (horn that is) are compatible with my 98 sl1?

Cheers again
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Any 2nd generation 3 terminal horn. If it is on a Saturn and has 3 terminals it will work unless its dead. Yes, DVM is digital voltmeter. An old fashioned analog voltohm meter will work also.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
ofogao

Cheers
Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Nowadays, a digital meter IS "regular". An analog meter, appropriate as it is for this job, is the exception.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Well, it MAY be old fashioned but they are still out there being used. Its not a collectors' item yet.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Well, it MAY be old fashioned but they are still out there being used. Its not a collectors' item yet.
I didn't say anything about it being "old-fashioned". It's just that there's nothing not "regular" about a digital voltmeter.

Oh, and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofogao View Post
I guess you can't expect much from an automatic 98 sl1 with 250, 000 kms on it!
You can expect another 10 years and 250,000 or more km out of it, if you want. Ten years and 250,000km (aprx 150,000 miles) is early middle-age for our cars.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
ofogao

Stupid question for anyone, where is the horn located on a 1998 sl1???

Sorry
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Its hard to find. Remove the left wheel and the inner fender liner.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Its hard to find. Remove the left wheel and the inner fender liner.
Easier to remove 2 bolts retaining the left headlight assy. Just below to the right.
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Thats only if you want to unplug it or touch it. If you want to both touch it and see it at the same time along with a possible replacement you might as well have room to work. You can actually see it if you look down behind and outboard the accumulator dryer.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Thats only if you want to unplug it or touch it. If you want to both touch it and see it at the same time along with a possible replacement you might as well have room to work. You can actually see it if you look down behind and outboard the accumulator dryer.
When I made mounting brackets for my fog lights I had no problem removing the horn from the top. Easier for me to reach down then to reach up.
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There may be a difference between the different models also. You will need a very skinny arm with an SC. If you take out the air filter box its doable though. Once you find it you can figure out how you want to go after it.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
madpogue

1996 SW2

Mine ('96 SW2, same front end as a sedan) was pretty easy to reach from below, simply by driving the car up on ramps. 'Course, it was even easier to reach when the fender and inner fender were smashed away by a deer, but I digress....