saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Default Body Question: Replacing front upper bumper cover

I guess this isn't fixable by any combination of heating, pressing & rolling it back into it's original shape?

CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Default Re: Body Question: Replacing front upper bumper cover

The line you see in the recess in front of the headlight is not just a shadow but also a fold in the plastic. (Some sort of styrofoam like stuffing that's apparently tucked between the plastic and the bumper was also disturbed )

I read somewhere that when installing S-Series body panells, the bolts must be fastened in an exact sequence with each one torqued to specific tension to allow the polymer panells to "move" as they expand & contract.

Does this also apply to the front bumper cover, or can any amateur line it up and bolt it on?

Is there any chance that I and a helper with absolutely no experience (other than re-installing side mirrors & rear headlight lenses) could replace this properly by going slowly and logging each step during disassembly?

If not, are there any special instructios I can find online and pass on to a cheapo body guy so I can avoid a dealership body shop part & labor costs?
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The bumper cover is held on with push pins, which allow expansion and t3 or 4 screws from the fender. Take the cover off and see what else is bent up. Lay the cover out in the sun straight and the ripple will come out of it.

Body panel info is down at the bottom
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/index.html

There are also the richpin videos. At the bottom of the page take the Forum Jump to the How-To Library and the video links and index is one of the top 3 posts. Detailed instructions on how it get it all apart.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Lay the cover out in the sun straight and the ripple will come out of it.
Being in the frozen north it might need a little coaxing with a hair dryer or (careful) application of a heat gun on the back side.

Low speed parking lot "altercation"?

Very easy to remove the fascia. I haven't done it but.. if the foam is buckled up higher than normal you probably can smooth it down with a box rasp?
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Once i had a look at the hidden damage I would probably just get a tube of that urethane caulk they are selling now or the latest construction adhesive and glue the foam back together and then rasp to fit. Bright sun should warm it up enough even on a fall day. If not then the hair dryer will do it. You want it too hot to touch if you are applying heat and then gently press it back and hold it till it cools. Need oven mitts.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote