SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
hschofield
hschofield is on a distinguished road

Default '96 Won't Start After Rebuild

I did an in-frame rebuild on a '96 DOHC. Car started up fine over three weeks ago. I've been driving it every two or three days over the last few weeks to break everything in. Drove it today, no problems. Got home and parked it in the garage and now it won't start. Below are the issues:

It turns over but will not start. Was able to restart it once with starting fluid.

After searching the forum for the last 3 hours I have narrowed it down to possible the CPS. I did the test just like Richpin's video by pulling the plugs of the coils...however, I get sparks between the two posts on both coils.

The fuel pump runs and primes as normal. Checked the fuel pressure and it was fine.

The tachometer does not move when ing. Points to CPS issue?

Can the CPS be faulty even though I get sparks? Don't want to be changing out perfectly good parts.

Thanks for everyone's help.
hschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
original007
original007 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: '96 Won't Start After Rebuild

If there is spark the cps is ok.Check fuses? Look near the #4 injector wire it angles towards the cam cover and can easily get pinched during assembly eventually shorting and blowing the injector fuse
original007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
hschofield

Thanks for the suggestion. Tested the fuses, they all look good. Listened to the injectors through a stethescope while the engine was being ed and they sound like they are working.

I'm really stumped on this one.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Crank it over for a while and then pull a plug. Is it wet? If you have gas and spark it will run, maybe poorly but it will run.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
hschofield

I see there have been a couple of posts similar to mine. I have an update on my issue. Still won't start unless I spray some starter fluid in the air intake, then it fires right up. Do you think it could be the air intake sensor?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Does it continue to run after starting on the starting fluid, or does it just burn up the starting fluid and stall?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
hschofield

It continues to run fine.

I drove it around for 20 minutes but when i returned home and shut it off it wouldn't start. Then I sprayed some more starting fluid in the air intake (where the air intake tube clips down onto the filter) and voila, she will start right up and run until I shut it off.

Did this 3 or 4 times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

This isn't a cool vs hot engine issue either. It won't start when cool or hot unless I spray the starting fluid in the air hose.

Oh, one other thing. It does idle fast, about 2000 RPMs and the transmission will not shift correctly either. It won't shift unless I get over 3500 RPMs which means I have to get about 60 MPH for it to go into 4th.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

OldNuc, a new member with evidently a lot of experience, posted this: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=16 in another thread. _Might_ have some relevance to your issue....
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
hschofield

Just thought I would give an update on my issue.

In tinkering with things I unplugged the wire to the TPS and the car would start and idle fine. So I replaced the TPS. It fires right up and idles perfectly now and the SES light that I had on went off also.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
hschofield

Another update. After a while the SES light came back on. Still P0304. I decided to check the injectors. Switched # 4 with # 3 and sure enough the code switche to a P0303.

Bought new injectors and she purrs like a kitten and no SES light for a few days now.

Thanks Everyone.