SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 03-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Thumbs Down Catalitic Converter below threshold efficiency ? ? ? ? ? ?

Recently changed my engine on my 04 Saturn ion and reused the Catalytic converter and O2 sensors as I have had no issues with them on my 242,000 mile original motor. Replaced my engine with a used 127,000 mile motor and during replacment I replaced the exhaust maifold gasket with a aftermarket Felpro gasket.

I get a check engine light that comes on once in a while and turns out its catalitic converter efficiency below threshold ? ?

What would cause this check engine light to come on? Do I have a small leak that developed somewhere?
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2020, 03:06 AM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Catalitic Converter below threshold efficiency ? ? ? ? ? ?

Could be an exhaust leak, try doing the shop vac trick and then spray soap and water on the exhaust and look for bubbles. Why did you change the original motor?
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Engine lost compression

Should I just put smoke in the tail pipe and see if it leaks anywhere in the exhaust?
Old 03-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Use the blower function of a shop vac hooked to the tail pipe, then use soap and water in a squirt bottle and apply it to any connection in the exhaust system. Where the cat bolts up, exhaust manifold, etc. You should see bubbles somewhere if there are leaks. If there are none, most likely the cat is shot. Do you have a scan tool where you can look at live data, specifically the rear o2 sensor reading?
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Catalitic Converter below threshold efficiency ? ? ? ? ? ?

No I don't have a scan tool to see live data. The thing that puzzles me is before the motor swap I never had any issues.

Thats a good idea about the shop vac
Old 03-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

If those oxygen sensors are still the factory-installed parts, replace them. At 242K miles they are way past their expected service life.

If you still get the code after replacing both oxygen sensors and you don't find any exhaust leaks, the catalytic converter will probably need to be replaced. It is also very likely in need of replacement considering it's age and mileage. They seem to commonly need replacement in Ions even if you don't consider that all Ions are at least 13 years old and most have well over 100K miles on them.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 48K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote