SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 AM   #181
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: The last Saturn Astra owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hi all,

Very nice nicolas_p.

Decision time again for me. My 2008 3dr XR 175K km needs more than a few repairs:
Rear coils
Front links
Exhaust; resonator back
Front flex pipe
W/washer pump
4 tires - 18"
A/C does not work (don't know the source of the problem)

Need a car to get to work, however my job situation is tenuous, considering semi-retirement, so I'm not comfortable purchasing a replacement vehicle. Still, I think it's worth it getting the Astra repaired. The clincher is it looks great and is unique.
I don't know what disposition you have in Canada with Tirebuyer.com, but I have purchased and had installed three sets of tires purchased through them. They operate much like TireRack, but 12-15% cheaper for my purchases. When you get a rep on the phone, hem and haw a bit and they will invent a couple discounts for you (5% for email notification sign-up, 5% for starting an account, $20 bucks for breathing, and then they start talking about giving up a bit of commision if you will just proceed with the order while still on the call.

Do you know a shop who will let you bring your own compressor for installation so you don't get gouged by the mark-up? Hope it is just freon or whatever it is now. Mine came last June with seals, but ask.

https://tinyurl.com/yyqr8xj8

What mark and model tire/tyre you considering?
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #182
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XR

Hi AstraFasta,
Yup, need a w/washer pump, it's not there due to a mishap courtesy of my daughter.

Hi General,
Thanks for the compressor tip and tires link. Looks like tirerack ships within USA only. Got a set of Momo Toprun M30s for the 5dr from from quattrotires.com. Then, winters boots for the wife's car. Good, helpful people and they're constantly sending me discount coupons.

Really torn because, I was smitten with the Astra since I first laid eyes on it and couldn't believe GM brought it here. Have also been an Opel fan since the 1970s. Unfortunately, I'm looking at $2000 CAD, including the tires, when for under $10K, I can find a decent used conveyance/appliance . My job situation is also tenuous so that complicates things.
Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized)
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #183
juvanta
juvanta is on a distinguished road

I like it.
juvanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #184
Coletrain
Coletrain is on a distinguished road

I typically don't post, but since there is a contest going on...I'll throw my hat in the ring. I purchased my 08 Astra XR used in 2011. It had 52,000 miles on it.

I researched the car prior to purchasing and liked what I saw, plus the leather heated seats, CD changer, etc. was impressive for the budget I was working with.

We found out we were having twins literally a month after buying this car. While it's obviously not the ideal family car....it works. My twins are now 8 and they have no complaints.

Had to repair the door latch cable shortly after purchasing (it broke). Fixed with a $2.00 cable clamp. The gas flap latch begin acting up and would not unlock. Simply unplugged that feature. Have removed the screens on the camshaft actuators. Just finished replacing the fuel purge valve. (Wasn't starting after filling with fuel....P4096 if I remember correctly)

Aside from that, just normal maint. 2 timing belts, brakes, etc. etc. Really have no room to complain. Car costs me approx. $375.00 per year to maintain. It gets 34.6 mpg. Car now has 147,000 miles. Paid for....no trade value.....so might has well shoot for 200,000 miles.

I AM THE LAST ASTRA OWNER.
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #185
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
I typically don't post, but since there is a contest going on...I'll throw my hat in the ring. I purchased my 08 Astra XR used in 2011. It had 52,000 miles on it.

I researched the car prior to purchasing and liked what I saw, plus the leather heated seats, CD changer, etc. was impressive for the budget I was working with.

We found out we were having twins literally a month after buying this car. While it's obviously not the ideal family car....it works. My twins are now 8 and they have no complaints.

Had to repair the door latch cable shortly after purchasing (it broke). Fixed with a $2.00 cable clamp. The gas flap latch begin acting up and would not unlock. Simply unplugged that feature. Have removed the screens on the camshaft actuators. Just finished replacing the fuel purge valve. (Wasn't starting after filling with fuel....P4096 if I remember correctly)

Aside from that, just normal maint. 2 timing belts, brakes, etc. etc. Really have no room to complain. Car costs me approx. $375.00 per year to maintain. It gets 34.6 mpg. Car now has 147,000 miles. Paid for....no trade value.....so might has well shoot for 200,000 miles.

Sounds like a similar scenario to me. I bought this car as a leftover two weeks after my daughter was born so I could have a back seat. She's about to turn 11. Time flies!

I'm in no hurry to replace the car and still really enjoy driving it. It only has 102k on it, but we moved in June and at that point it had 89k on, so the number will be climbing fast. I drive it 100 miles a day.

So far the only real repair was the ubiquitous flex pipe, which cost me about $60 all in. Otherwise just standard maintenance like oil changes and spark plugs, which I do myself. I'll admit that I'm a little (25k miles...) late on the timing belt, but since we've moved I haven't found a shop yet and I'm not interested in doing the job myself. Maintenance costs over the years on this car have been remarkably low, and it still runs/drives as new. It still has the original brakes and clutch. I put Blizzaks on a set of old Saab 9-5 wheels for the winter.

Back in May I had experienced a power steering leak and didn't get a consistent answer on the source, and since it was in the middle of our 600 mile move, I elected to just toss in some stop-leak and hope for the best. The leak stopped and I didn't have any further issues until the temperature dropped. Now on startup when it's below about 35 or 40, the pump makes a little noise for a minute or two. Doesn't sound too bad, really, and I'm sure it's related to the more viscous stop-leak in the system.

I installed a switch on the dash that turns the PS pump on/off and now if it's cold I simply turn it off before I start the car. Steering effort is of course higher, but I must say that in the snow and ice, it really gives you more road feel and I actually prefer it. If I'm in town and trying to keep my coffee from tipping over in the lousy cupholder and change gears, I just reach down and turn it on.

Otherwise everything still works, there's no rust, still feels nice and tight and is fun to drive. I average about 35 mpg, too. Since the car is worth absolutely nothing and still meets my needs, I see no point in replacing it and will keep on truckin. And yes, I'll get the TB changed...
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #186
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

I don't recall many posts relating to timing belt failures on the z18xer so I might lean to longer intervals. On the other hand, broken belt is an inconvenience in the best case scenario and this is an interference engine so changing too late could be a problem.

The OEM idler pulley spits grease on some cars but I assume you already changed that.

I have seen service intervals all over the place. For example:

- Replace Timing Belt and Tensioner: Every 75,000 miles/120,000 kms (or every 10 yrs whichever comes first) "page 44 of the "Astra Limited Warranty Maintenance and Owner Assistance Information" Booklet" per member Layoira

- "Timing Belt and Tensioner Replacement at 100,000 miles / 160,000 Kilometers or 10 years" On TechLink per member Tom S2 (referencing techlink post dec 2007)

- 100k miles/10 years per this internet guide that looks like our engine (but not 100% sure) http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-t...-astra-h-1-8i/

- The Haynes manual said 36k miles according to member Astra La Vista!

- Member Bogbrush had 4 Astras in the family and changed the belts every 4 years/60k miles.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #187
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Yes, agreed on the inconsistent TB intervals. Another example: the same engine in the Chevy Cruze (and presumably the Sonic) has an interval of 97,500 miles...and frankly, the Astra owner's manual isn't exactly confidence inspiring since it didn't even accurately describe how to reset the oil life system...

Doesn't seem like there's a significant issue with the TB on this engine, overall. There's no real point in waiting but I don't feel too bad about extending the interval a little bit. Not like the old Renault that I used to own, which would snap the belt if you drifted half a mile past the interval and trashed the top end of the motor! Otherwise, I actually really liked that car.
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #188
chrisbarett
chrisbarett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
Who plans on keeping their Astra for the long haul? If lady luck is on my side, I plan on keeping my Astra until it is no longer feasible to be kept. I recently started a new family, and have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on factory order. But I still plan on keeping the Astra, even though financially speaking I should probably trade her in on the new van, but I love the car too much and its paid for in full. She's even working as the family vehicle now, but its hard to put and pull the baby out of the back seat in a 2 door.

Anyhow, all of our cars are at most around 5 years old and at least around 4 years old. So there's still plenty of life left in our vehicles, so who here wishes to become the last Saturn Astra owner?

(Opelized and Vauxhallized Astras still count. No prize except pride will be awarded).
Anyhow, all of our cars are at most around 5 years old and at least around 4 years old. So there's still plenty of life left in our vehicles, so who here wishes to become the last Saturn Astra owner?
chrisbarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #189
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
I've had an astra since 2008 and I'll be keeping the astra for a very long time. probably with a new engine in the near future because who doesn't want more power.
d it. One member still had the pump and it died, killing his heater until it was removed.
d it. One member still had the pump and it died, killing his heater until it was removed.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #190
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
I don't recall many posts relating to timing belt failures on the z18xer so I might lean to longer intervals. On the other hand, broken belt is an inconvenience in the best case scenario and this is an interference engine so changing too late could be a problem.

The OEM idler pulley spits grease on some cars but I assume you already changed that.

I have seen service intervals all over the place. For example:

- Replace Timing Belt and Tensioner: Every 75,000 miles/120,000 kms (or every 10 yrs whichever comes first) "page 44 of the "Astra Limited Warranty Maintenance and Owner Assistance Information" Booklet" per member Layoira

- "Timing Belt and Tensioner Replacement at 100,000 miles / 160,000 Kilometers or 10 years" On TechLink per member Tom S2 (referencing techlink post dec 2007)

- The Haynes manual said 36k miles according to member Astra La Vista!

- Member Bogbrush had 4 Astras in the family and changed the belts every 4 years/60k miles.
've had an astra since 2008 and I'll be keeping the astra for a very long 've had an astra since 2008 and I'll be keeping the astra for a very long
Old 12-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #191
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post

We found out we were having twins literally a month af

We found out we were having twins literally a month af
Old 01-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #192
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Astra owners welcome to the 2020's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200102_062055.jpg (71.3 KB, 10 views)
2009 Saturn Astra XR, 140,000 km
2018 Chevy Traverse Redline 52,000 km

Past vehicles:

2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - Sold
2008 Saturn Outlook XR 280,000 km - Sold
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:09 AM   #193
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
Astra owners welcome to the 2020's
Your dash screen looks so much different from mine . Also my dash screen time and date are off because of my aftermarket head unit.
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #194
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Wait people still have the dash screen?? I plopped a GPS in there years ago when I replaced the radio
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:37 AM   #195
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

You can see engine temp, battery voltage, firmware versions with the secret menus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDXwafvXe-I
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #196
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Wait people still have the dash screen?? I plopped a GPS in there years ago when I replaced the radio
Any pics/links to what you bought?
2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 77,000KM
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 AM   #197
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Any pics/links to what you bought?
Just went with a garmin nuvi 55, macgyver it into a oem nav surround with minimal cutting. The size of the surround fits the garmin perfectly, just required to trim 2 little tabs on the back and fabricate a small bracket to hold the gps in place. I used epoxy and rubber bands
Old 01-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #198
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Just went with a garmin nuvi 55, macgyver it into a oem nav surround with minimal cutting. The size of the surround fits the garmin perfectly, just required to trim 2 little tabs on the back and fabricate a small bracket to hold the gps in place. I used epoxy and rubber bands
Thats awesome. I'll look into that. Any pics?
2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 77,000KM
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #199
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Thats awesome. I'll look into that. Any pics?
I could sell my whole setup, I will sadly be taking my car apart come summer time. It's finally time to sell it (part it out because I can't stand the thought of someone else driving it). It will be 11 years of ownership this summer
Old 01-15-2020, 12:00 AM   #200
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I could sell my whole setup, I will sadly be taking my car apart come summer time. It's finally time to sell it (part it out because I can't stand the thought of someone else driving it). It will be 11 years of ownership this summer
oh noo.. its going to be sad to see you go. Only good thing coming out of it i guess is the cool parts and aftermarket bits you are going to be selling.
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote