SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 12-25-2017, 03:28 AM   #1
Eddie&Aria_S
Eddie&Aria_S is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Question 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Okay, new to this forum and yes I tried a few times using the search feature. I have a question that many have probably had but someone with personal experience would be great all though any and all input is welcome. Keep it peaceful. So here it is, has anyone made or attempted to make a true dual exhaust for our ly7's? If yes, details links and pictures would be awesome. If not, reasons why it's "not" possible or a good idea. I'm looking into fabricating a true dual exhaust as well long tube headers(performance exhaust manifold) or two peace Headers but instead of stock style 3-1 with cat in center, change it to 3-2-1 cat-less direct Bolt on.
So far I have found no performance parts for this car, for obvious reason, except for an intake and engine internals. Now I do plan to make this car a race car just to prove people wrong.
So far what's done to my car is only;
-"cold air" intake(not finished for true cold air)
-muffler delete
-resonator delete
-moderate weight reduction
-vortex generators (evo style) placed for function not aesthetics
-front lip(oem "lip" delete)
-rear spoiler (small) NOT a wing
-canards
-billet grille for greater(colder) air flow
-small air scoop directing air from grill directly to cone intake filter
-aesthetics, debadged, chrome painted black

Much more to come with a few things not listed directly. Thoughts? Questions? Comments? All welcome! Stay civil. 👈 😎👌

Go
Eddie&Aria_S is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Attention Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Okay great, no responses, I will take it as no one has thought about it let alone attempted to do the conversion. Haha so yet another thing I must try for myself, after I swap out the motor for yes another ly7 but this one from a low mile Gmc Acadia one year newer than my own that has 24 more horsepower than the aura ly7. This is now a mix of the original question and a guide on the process of getting the answer 😂 you got questions I have and will have answers. 👍
Old 12-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

As an L300 owner, I'm not familiar with Auras but do read threads to keep up to stay informed. Presuming your exhaust system split will be a first here, did you try other GM forums using the same engine or V6 engine configuration to see if anyone has a dual exhaust or split it into two with feedback? Asked in the other forums? When you intend to create a custom setup and can't find anyone or group doing the same or similar project, you become the beta tester. It shouldn't be too hard to comb thru every GM forum to find out who's experimenting with their V6 engines and tap into some info that may help you avoid problems.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie&Aria_S View Post
Okay, new to this forum and yes I tried a few times using the search feature. I have a question that many have probably had but someone with personal experience would be great all though any and all input is welcome. Keep it peaceful. So here it is, has anyone made or attempted to make a true dual exhaust for our ly7's? If yes, details links and pictures would be awesome. If not, reasons why it's "not" possible or a good idea. I'm looking into fabricating a true dual exhaust as well long tube headers(performance exhaust manifold) or two peace Headers but instead of stock style 3-1 with cat in center, change it to 3-2-1 cat-less direct Bolt on.
So far I have found no performance parts for this car, for obvious reason, except for an intake and engine internals. Now I do plan to make this car a race car just to prove people wrong.
So far what's done to my car is only;
-"cold air" intake(not finished for true cold air)
-muffler delete
-resonator delete
-moderate weight reduction
-vortex generators (evo style) placed for function not aesthetics
-front lip(oem "lip" delete)
-rear spoiler (small) NOT a wing
-canards
-billet grille for greater(colder) air flow
-small air scoop directing air from grill directly to cone intake filter
-aesthetics, debadged, chrome painted black

Much more to come with a few things not listed directly. Thoughts? Questions? Comments? All welcome! Stay civil. 👈 😎👌

Go
I'm interested in seeing pictures of your car!

As far as 3.6 performance mods, you would probably be able to find better answers on the Pontiac G6 (Most likely) or Chevrolet Malibu (Maybe) forums.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Information Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As an L300 owner, I'm not familiar with Auras but do read threads to keep up to stay informed. Presuming your exhaust system split will be a first here, did you try other GM forums using the same engine or V6 engine configuration to see if anyone has a dual exhaust or split it into two with feedback? Asked in the other forums? When you intend to create a custom setup and can't find anyone or group doing the same or similar project, you become the beta tester. It shouldn't be too hard to comb thru every GM forum to find out who's experimenting with their V6 engines and tap into some info that may help you avoid problems.
Reason I asked on here was simple 😂 I thought the focus on Saturn's as in the aura would be here the best place for exact fitments vs other platforms /bodies /power ranges fwd/rwd. And things like that I've tried searching in many many forms usdm Euro even jdm just to see what I find and very little to none each attempt. Everything I've done has been Universal posts or fabricated myself or in a shops garage. So why not help someone else by figuring it out the hard way so it's easy for future readers. But thanks for the thoughts 👍
Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Wrench Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerbigjon View Post
I'm interested in seeing pictures of your car!

As far as 3.6 performance mods, you would probably be able to find better answers on the Pontiac G6 (Most likely) or Chevrolet Malibu (Maybe) forums.
Like I said on the last reply, I have searched through a lot haha, but again thanks! But you forgot the g8 also had our motor. 😂 the camaro , Gmc Acadia lol a couple others.
As far as pictures of the car, I will look for and post the ones I have to show my little progression in a few days due to two jobs and three kids 😂
My instagram user name is Eddie_xr6 where all my cars photos are posted. I don't have any of the modified engine bay because I didn't want anyone to know but only an intake it was. So Follow and comment then I'll follow back.
👌
Old 12-31-2017, 03:23 AM   #7
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR

Here is a link to my photobucket album that contains modifications to my Aria.
I have pictures of how it came from the lot(the ones with the Carmax license plate papers) and progression through time to how it looks today. Pictures of my motor are just how it came stock and I'm cleaning/removing parts to swap the motor yes with the same ly7 but this one from a Gmc Acadia one year younger with an added 24 HP due to the intake manifold being different from the factory(don't know exact details/specs on power difference). I also have a few screen shots of research I had put in for some mods(not much info) the album wasn't made to be specifically for this forum so even though it's about only my car there are some somewhat random things still pertaining to the car not just mods. Hope it's enjoyable and reachable. Feedback welcome as well as comments and questions.

The site will not let me post a link yet so just copy the link below paste it in the URL bar and delete the two spaces right before and right after "http" and it will direct you to the page(hopefully)
Link 👇

<iframe width="480" height="360" src=" http ://s1143.photobucket.com/user/94Eddie/embed/slideshow/Aria%20S"></iframe>
Old 01-06-2018, 01:45 AM   #8
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Attention Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

OK, so I was a bit resistant on the idea I've had for some time since my muffler delete a couple months ago. Little back story to begin and understand big picture, when I got my muffler deleted the guy told me, "not loud enough for you I see! If you want more loud after you get bored, Just come back and take off that heavy can right there! (points at resonator)" so I said thank you and after 3 weeks you guessed it. I went back for the second delete(rez) and this time paid very close attention to exhaust piping and area of workable space. Now that's when it hit me, stock has equal length headers!? Answer annoyingly yes my friends... So I also knew that there are no performance headers for this car so I asked if they knew anyone that could custom fab a set. They said yes and gave me his number to call. I still have not until I have the money for the full setup in one day. Now in mind is equal or unequal length headers!? Will it have any effect if it's a full straight pipe with two tubes(true dual) and the only collector being an x pipe? Will the exhaust pulses clash?! Will they flow perfectly? Enhance or destroy scavenging effect(biggest concern)!?!? I know back pressure is gone to a point (given pipe diameter)
Ideas? Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Knowledge?
Thank you! Shoot them out! 👌
Old 01-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Down Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie&Aria_S View Post
Reason I asked on here was simple 😂 I thought the focus on Saturn's as in the aura would be here the best place for exact fitments vs other platforms /bodies /power ranges fwd/rwd. And things like that I've tried searching in many many forms usdm Euro even jdm just to see what I find and very little to none each attempt. Everything I've done has been Universal parts or fabricated myself or in a shop's garage. So why not help someone else by figuring it out the hard way so it's easy for future readers. But thanks for the thoughts 👍
Just fixed typing mistakes
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Check Malibu and G6 forums. There are more Malibus out there than Auras.
Same underpinnings and exhaust.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...-generation-7/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhaG5J5N_Do
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

Last edited by golftango; 01-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Devil Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Check Malibu and G6 forums. There are more Malibus out there than Auras.
Same underpinnings and exhaust.
First things first. Thanks for a response!
Second the video was somewhat not useful. Unless you want to see how a car acts on just that mod(sounds). But the link to the forum I did get a good read on the subject, although nothing useful due to no facts and no one has tried it it's only speculation and opinions with no real knowledge from some. All I got from the reading was try if you want or don't. Haha. And I do want. So I'll just be the first to do it and actually put the info down as for problems if any, cost, results, like or not. 😂 and when I get it tuned by HPtunner on a dyno I'll put that up too. But like I said 3 kids 2 jobs 2 baby mama's 1 legal case 4 doctors. I have my hands a bit full and my wallet with straws in it 😂 so give it time and it will get there.
Thanks to all!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Devil Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

another thing I'm going to add to this is eliminate torque steer either completely or just so it is minimal that's right. So my plans for now are to make the drive shaft lengths equal. And second get rid of the current s#!t!e aftermarket wheels that came with the car and replace them with much lighter slightly smaller -1/2" with the front two wrapped with street slicks and the back regular summer tires.
So if anyone has any experience or thoughts/knowledge on those planned mods don't hesitate. Any other comments are free to be heard as well 👍
No longer a question thread more than a build thread with questions and answers for future builders if these cars aren't extinct after mine is finished 😂 (they're very close)
I'm also going to add a dry shot to an all motor build. And it is all motor because it's not forced induction! FI is turbo/sc/procharge, forcing more air into the motor. Spraying is only giving the car better air to breath! I'm staying a mild safe shot either way 👍
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #13
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

I recently added a strut tower brace and it's cut down on the chassis flex a lot when cornering and accelerating. I didn't realize these cars had so much chassis flex until after I installed the strut tower brace.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #14
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Happy Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Quote:
I recently added a strut tower brace and it's cut down on the chassis flex a lot when cornering and accelerating. I didn't realize these cars had so much chassis flex until after I installed the strut tower brace.
Thank you for that input! Makes me feel so much better about my purchase of a strut tower bar as well! Just that you were lucky enough to see the results right away. Me I have to wait till I put in the new motor to feel the difference but I'm going to do the motor swap from a Gmc Acadia, the eibach pro kit lowering springs, and Meggan racing strut tower bar all the same day, so I won't get to see or feel the difference on each of those separately. I'm basically going to have a brand new car after I finish the work. So I'm excited for good reason 😂. I know people will want to see pictures and videos so I will continue to upload to my instagram and photobucket account and repost a link as soon as I'm allowed to by the thread 😒 keep posting so I can get enough replies to do so! Thank you all!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #15
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

I ordered the GM strut tower brace, I found in my searches here and in the G6/Malibu forums, the brace is actually an OEM replacement for the Malibu SS of the same Epsilon platform.

i want to lower my car but I already scrape some on stock height on these terrible Louisiana roads, streets and driveways. I am staying stock height for the time being, I'll replace my Sport Tuning 17s with some Sport Edition 18s on some 235/45R18 tires.
Upgrades coming!
Old 03-04-2018, 12:51 AM   #16
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Happy Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Quote:
I ordered the GM strut tower brace, I found in my searches here and in the G6/Malibu forums, the brace is actually an OEM replacement for the Malibu SS of the same Epsilon platform.

i want to lower my car but I already scrape some on stock height on these terrible Louisiana roads, streets and driveways. I am staying stock height for the time being, I'll replace my Sport Tuning 17s with some Sport Edition 18s on some 235/45R18 tires.
That's interesting IL would havd liked to know that prior to my perchace but mine is Megan racing brand and looks amazing TBH. If your car is somewhat lower with stock springs, I'd say check out your struts, they might be blown. Mine is relatively low mileage and when I put my Springs up front, let's just say my car now has a brand new front suspension setup.
As for the wheels, if you're keeping stock hight you should keep stock tire size which is 225/50R17&18 unless you have good, researched knowledgeable reasons. Which I'm sure you do. Just for future readers.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
hrod
hrod is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
1998 SL2

Quote:

I'm going to replace the original struts soon and I'd like to add a strut tower brace while I'm at it. Do you have a part number and any other details that would help me purchase the brace that you purchased? Also was it a simple bolt on or did you have to mod anything? Clearance issues?

Thanks
hrod
hrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #18
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrod View Post
I'm going to replace the original struts soon and I'd like to add a strut tower brace while I'm at it. Do you have a part number and any other details that would help me purchase the brace that you purchased? Also was it a simple bolt on or did you have to mod anything? Clearance issues?

Thanks
hrod
Part # is 15286584. It was somewhere in the $120-130 range for me and bought it from my local GM Dealer with that part number. However the cost may vary, I had an employee discount on it for working with the dealer group. It was as simple as unbolting the strut nuts on either side, installing the brace and running the nuts back down until I was satisfied with the tightness, just remembering that I have to support the struts with those nuts too so I used a 3/8 drive ratchet and socket. There is a bit of a clearance issue, the bar rubs on the hood on two places but that can be fixed by placing some felt or some thin foam strips on the hood on those areas.
Upgrades coming!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #19
Eddie&Aria_S

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Up Re: 2007-8 saturn aura xr 3.6 true dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrod View Post

Thanks
hrod
There should be no Clarence issues whet so ever. And it's a direct bolt on but you might struggle with that pointless 4th bolt in between two of the 3 strut tower nuts. Which I just cut off and sanded down for a tight flush fit. No problems what so ever. After swapping the motor I was astonished how many stupid pointless things were on that motor that I removed from mine.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/94...brary/Aria%20S

There's the link to my photo bucket so you can see all progress since day one no mods. Hopefully I helped a little