SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #21
Mfitzpatrick27
Mfitzpatrick27 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Wave Plate Warranty - Thank you GM!

Hi guys. I'm a little stumped on how to handle my situation, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. First I need some opinions on whether my 6T70 transmission failed due to wave plate failure or something else (I have a saturn aura xr 3.6 w/ 6spd with 109,000 miles). As I would accelerate the car it would suddenly jump the RPM's real high and I would usually need to remove my foot from the gas to get it to get back into gear (I never paid attention if it was happening at specific gears although it seemed as though it was doing it while shifting through the mid-range gears). This happened more and more often until one day while I was driving at about 45mph when it started acting like it was in neutral. I pulled off the side of the road and nothing I did would make it get into gear and start moving (Engine was running fine). In anyone's experience with their wave plate failure, did your car ever get to a point of completely not engaging in any gear? When I towed it to the GM dealership and they took a look at it a week later the car was able to drive through the parking lot into the garage but by the time it got there the transmission had quit working again. When the transmission tech called me he informed me I would need a new transmission for $3800! I informed him of the extended warranty #14404 and he said he would have to look into that and call me back. About 30 mins later he calls me back and says it wasn't a wave plate failure. I asked if the wave plates were broken and he said it would require expensive time and work to find out if their broken but based on the car's symptoms he's confident its not a wave plate failure. I asked him what caused the transmission to fail and he said it would be very expensive to find out. So I'm stumped. How do I go about handling a situation like this?? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Mfitzpatrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #22
PeterXR
PeterXR is on a distinguished road

Can someone point me to the list of vin numbers effected? I have an 08 XR with the 3.6....
PeterXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
Havok10
Havok10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfitzpatrick27 View Post
Hi guys. I'm a little stumped on how to handle my situation, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. First I need some opinions on whether my 6T70 transmission failed due to wave plate failure or something else (I have a saturn aura xr 3.6 w/ 6spd with 109,000 miles). As I would accelerate the car it would suddenly jump the RPM's real high and I would usually need to remove my foot from the gas to get it to get back into gear (I never paid attention if it was happening at specific gears although it seemed as though it was doing it while shifting through the mid-range gears). This happened more and more often until one day while I was driving at about 45mph when it started acting like it was in neutral. I pulled off the side of the road and nothing I did would make it get into gear and start moving (Engine was running fine). In anyone's experience with their wave plate failure, did your car ever get to a point of completely not engaging in any gear? When I towed it to the GM dealership and they took a look at it a week later the car was able to drive through the parking lot into the garage but by the time it got there the transmission had quit working again. When the transmission tech called me he informed me I would need a new transmission for $3800! I informed him of the extended warranty #14404 and he said he would have to look into that and call me back. About 30 mins later he calls me back and says it wasn't a wave plate failure. I asked if the wave plates were broken and he said it would require expensive time and work to find out if their broken but based on the car's symptoms he's confident its not a wave plate failure. I asked him what caused the transmission to fail and he said it would be very expensive to find out. So I'm stumped. How do I go about handling a situation like this?? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
I just recently had my waveplate fail. 2009 Aura XR with 75K miles on it. Wife was driving on highway and it wouldn't go over 40. When I looked at it reverse was almost gone as well (loud grinding when it drove). I had it towed straight to the dealer mentioning the warranty and they said they will have to look at it. They got back to me after a day and said that it was covered under warranty and they will rebuild the transmission.

My symptoms were classic of loosing 3,5, and R gears.
Havok10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #24
oopsidroptmyf15
oopsidroptmyf15 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

After going many rounds with lousy dealership we decided to cut them out of the loop. Which I would advise anyone with this issue to do. Most of the dealerships appear to be operating in the old GM way. They aren't on board with customer satisfaction or are just totally incompetent. We ended up going straight to customer service and getting it handled in a few months. So we got reimbursed finally for our transmission. Glad they could see past the failings of the dealership and to some extent the local shop. Though if you have your vehicle serviced anywhere none of them take you plate number or vin. It's just listed as John Doe's car. Happy to have that major expenditure back and glad they owned up to the problem. Luckily we just recently got rid of the lemon before it had any other failings.
oopsidroptmyf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #25
xdreamwalker
xdreamwalker is on a distinguished road

I have a 2009 XE 2.4L and yesterday the transmission started to act odd. I still have all the forward gears and reverse. However when it shifts it will sometimes rev high then shift on the way up. On the way down it shifted hard.

Would this be a wave plate about to fail? How do I tell which transmission I have in my Aura?
xdreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:59 PM   #26
xdreamwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamwalker View Post
I have a 2009 XE 2.4L and yesterday the transmission started to act odd. I still have all the forward gears and reverse. However when it shifts it will sometimes rev high then shift on the way up. On the way down it shifted hard.

Would this be a wave plate about to fail? How do I tell which transmission I have in my Aura?
Well, today the check engine light came on and it gave me code P0700 and P0776. At one point it wouldn't shift at all until I stopped and turned it off. I guess I'll just have to take it to a GM dealer to have it looked at.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #27
xdreamwalker

Quote:
Well, today the check engine light came on and it gave me code P0700 and P0776. At one point it wouldn't shift at all until I stopped and turned it off. I guess I'll just have to take it to a GM dealer to have it looked at.
So I did end up taking it to a GM dealer and they wanted a whole bunch of money to either repair or replace my 6T40 transmission.

I've ended up taking it to an independent transmission shop and they took it apart and confirmed that that 3-5-R wave plate was slipping and looked like it was ready to break. So I'm going to be into him for about $3900 to have it rebuilt will all of the updated parts.

Now to contact GM to have it documented to maybe help flame the fire that the 6T40 should have been part of this warranty extension.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #28
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So I did end up taking it to a GM dealer and they wanted a whole bunch of money to either repair or replace my 6T40 transmission.

I've ended up taking it to an independent transmission shop and they took it apart and confirmed that that 3-5-R wave plate was slipping and looked like it was ready to break. So I'm going to be into him for about $3900 to have it rebuilt will all of the updated parts.

Now to contact GM to have it documented to maybe help flame the fire that the 6T40 should have been part of this warranty extension.
Yours would be the first 6T40 to have the wave plates fail on this forum.

There's a couple folks on the G6 forums with 6T40 wave plate issues/failures:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=35986
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #29
SaturnVue_guy
SaturnVue_guy has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnVue_guy has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnVue_guy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to the members of the SaturnFans.com Forum at this thread and other for all the information about the Wave Clutch Plate issue. My 2008 Saturn Vue XR with 115,000 km on it had a transmission failure. Armed with the info from other users, I went to the local GM dealer and they agreed to repair at no charge. From the 3 page list of parts they used it looks like they pretty much rebuilt it not just the Wave Clutch Plate. Runs great again.
SaturnVue_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #30
Crexon
Crexon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnVue_guy View Post
Thanks to the members of the SaturnFans.com Forum at this thread and other for all the information about the Wave Clutch Plate issue. My 2008 Saturn Vue XR with 115,000 km on it had a transmission failure. Armed with the info from other users, I went to the local GM dealer and they agreed to repair at no charge. From the 3 page list of parts they used it looks like they pretty much rebuilt it not just the Wave Clutch Plate. Runs great again.
What did you all take the dealer to prove it was covered? From what looks posted it doesn't technical list the Vue
Crexon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #31
kalemar
kalemar is on a distinguished road

Had my 08 equinox in as transmission not working properly. Dealer said that since it still had reverse it was not the wave plate. They wanted $4000 to open it up, so took it to an independent shop who quoted $3000 to fix. Guess what? Wave plate was cause of failure. Now fighting with GM to cover entire cost. They finally agreed to cover $1600 for parts which leaves me holding $1500 for labor. Anyone else have similar issues?
kalemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #32
PTCruiserGT
PTCruiserGT is on a distinguished road

Does the transmission have to completely fail before it's covered? It seems that way from some of the posts here.
PTCruiserGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #33
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalemar View Post
Wave plate was cause of failure. Now fighting with GM to cover entire cost. They finally agreed to cover $1600 for parts which leaves me holding $1500 for labor. Anyone else have similar issues?
I don't own a vehicle with this transmission, but I have some thoughts to share. If it were me, I'd be checking in to suing the dealership and GM in small claims court over this issue. If you're considering accepting this partial payment, do not sign any document attached with it if that may result in your giving up the right to seek further compensation in this matter. The dealership and GM will do whatever they can to under repay you.
332,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #34
jcarsten
jcarsten is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

How do I determine if I have the 6T70 trans? I have an Aura XR with the 3.6 V6. None of the numbers I read from the bottom of the transmission match this number. I do get a little torque converter rumble in one of the gears but no signs of slip. Can't tell which one gear it is. Car only has 49K on it. Is there a common failure mileage? I guess I have until 2019 to make a warranty claim? Any experiences/thoughts would be appreciated. May be I should run it hard in the manual mode see if I can cause failure sooner rather than later.
jcarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #35
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Although I'm not an Aura owner, it's very likely that if you have a six speed automatic transmission then your car has the 6T70 transmission.
332,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #36
joeperil
joeperil is on a distinguished road

I had no idea about this issue until last week.

I'm leaving work and getting on the highway in my 2007 XR Aura, when suddenly it would not get into any gear but 4th. It was a slow a start at stoplights are at only 4th gear..got some horn taps from impatient drivers.

Well, at least it wasn't stuck in 1st or 6th. I guess if you only have one drive gear, then 3rd or 4th

Pulled over into a shopping center. Drove around the parking lot a bit. Putting it into park or reverse and it shifted into those positions with a heavy thud/bang after a delay. It absolutely would never get into 3rd or 5th and it ignored tap shift mode change requests as well. I did not rev it high enough to see if it would skip 5th and get into 6th.

I had no transmission issues all the time I have had this car since 2009. Always loved this 6-cly with the 6-speed. It had 97K miles on it.

Limped home, checked codes and then with some Googling I found this thread and others. The next day, it shifted again through all the gears, but drove it right to a GM dealer and explained the symptoms and also mentioned the service bulletin 14404A. Sweet...I was already bracing for a 2-4K expense and this looked like it could be the issue and covered!

They pulled the transmission, and sure enough, the 3,5,R plate was broken. Cleaned everything out and basically rebuilt it. No charge for the repair, although I paid for a rental from them for a few days.

Working great now, I hope it lasts for at least another year. I think it is time to finally think about a new(er) car. I was thinking about the Malibu as my next car, but it so happens that my rental was one of those, and it had that start-stop technology. I can't say I was impressed with that aspect.
joeperil is offline   Reply With Quote