SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #101
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn ION reliability

We've updated our reliability stats for the ION to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007 ION: 75, moderate, small sample size
2006 ION: 100, high, small sample size
2005 ION: 72, moderate, very small sample size
2004 ION: 46, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 46, low, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Saturn ION reliability ratings and comparisons
truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #102
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Our reliability stats for the ION now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

2007 ION: 80, moderate, small sample size
2006 ION: 107, high, small sample size
2005 ION: 72, moderate, small sample size
2004 ION: 26, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 47, low, very small sample size

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #103
mkaresh
Advanced Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the ION to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

2007 ION: 85, moderate
2006 ION: 96, high, small sample size
2005 ION: 49, low, small sample size
2004 ION: 37, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 40, low, very small sample size

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #104
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I just got 2003 Ion sedan with 135k miles on auction fairly cheap. Hopefully, will not have to spend too much on repairs. Toyota was my first choice, but you can't find them cheap and I noticed people cheat on ODO a lot.

I noticed that 2003-2004 Ion has similar (or better) reliability numbers to Toyota Corolla on TrueDelta, yet the later models, and especially 2006-2007, are much worse. Why is that? Is it due to faster aging pattern of Ion or are the 2006-2007 that bad?
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #105
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I think it's a higher sample size, at least that's what it was last time I looked. I've had my ion since new, and an 06 before that. The 06 got traded because it was to barren, but the only problem I've had was the typical lower control arm and sway bar bushings. And honestly, there are a lot of car models with weak bushings. Both have improved versions available
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #106
mkaresh
Advanced Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the ION to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2007 ION: 74, moderate
2006 ION: 110, high, small sample size
2005 ION: 46, low, very small sample size
2004 ION: 41, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 69, low, very small sample size

Additional participants always helpful (especially if you see "small sample size" next to the year, or no stat at all).

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

Old 12-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #107
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_p View Post
I just got 2003 Ion sedan with 135k miles on auction fairly cheap. Hopefully, will not have to spend too much on repairs. Toyota was my first choice, but you can't find them cheap and I noticed people cheat on ODO a lot.

I noticed that 2003-2004 Ion has similar (or better) reliability numbers to Toyota Corolla on TrueDelta, yet the later models, and especially 2006-2007, are much worse. Why is that? Is it due to faster aging pattern of Ion or are the 2006-2007 that bad?
I think it's a combination of sample size and lifecycle.

We measure completed repairs, not problems. The upside is that it's clearer what should count--with unrepaired problems perceptions play more of a role, and it's harder to say what is "normal." The downside is that, when people decide to live with a problem rather than fixing it, we don't count it, at least not until the car is sold. Especially with inexpensive cars people often start living with problems rather than fixing them around ten years of age. I suspect this is happening with the ION.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #108
mkaresh
Advanced Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the ION to include owner experiences through the end of 2014. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007 ION: 75, moderate, small sample size
2006 ION: 91, moderate, small sample size
2005 ION: 45, low, very small sample size
2004 ION: 49, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 93, moderate, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in May and in August. As suggested by the sample size notes, additional participants would be very helpful.

For the details, including how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #109
mkaresh
Advanced Member

So, how have these cars been doing lately?

Our reliability stats for the ION now include owner experiences through March 31, 2015. (Others are nearly a year behind.)

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year ("low" is best):

2007 ION: 69, moderate
2006 ION: 68, moderate, small sample size
2005 ION: 58, low, very small sample size
2004 ION: 41, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 135, high, very small sample size

No stat for a model year? Then we very much need more participants for it. Same for those with small sample size notes. Next updates in August and November.

For repair descriptions, the stats for other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Saturn ION reliability
Old 10-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #110
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
I noticed that 2003-2004 Ion has similar (or better) reliability numbers to Toyota Corolla on TrueDelta
not anymore! I guess it's my fault for updating my account with all the car problems (8 for 03 ion, 4 for 3 toyotas, just in 2015).
fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #111
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Could be the sample sizes. We need more ION owners involved to provide precise stats for these cars. The small sample sizes likely explain much of the variation from year to year.

This said, our reliability stats for the ION now cover the year ending June 30, 2015.

Repair trips per 100 cars:

2007 ION: 100, high, small sample size
2006 ION: 66, moderate, small sample size
2005 ION: 71, low, very small sample size
2004 ION: 28, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 126, high, very small sample size

For the descriptions of all reported repairs, results for other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 01-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #112
mkaresh
Advanced Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the ION to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015. Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007 ION: 80, moderate, small sample size
2006 ION: 78, moderate, small sample size
2005 ION: 61, low, very small sample size
2004 ION: 13, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 77, low, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in February and in May. Additional participants are needed to provide precise stats for all model years.

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #113
doc4bax
doc4bax has a spectacular aura aboutdoc4bax has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure about this website but I can tell you from personal experience. I have a Saturn 2006 ION and its a major POS. The ions are notorious for rear passenger gas fumes. Why? Because they all have problems with the fuel tank and the plastic lines on top of the fuel pump cracking. A recall was issued for those cars in southern states only. I am not in a southern state. But if you go into beeeitch mode and jump through the hoops you will find that you are covered under a "special situation warranty" not mentioned by GM or the dealer. I got mine covered and new fuel lines, new fuel pump and a new fuel tank. Luckily it cost me nothing. You got 8 years to get it fixed. After that you are on your own. This actually is called a "Campaign" not a recall as I earlier mentioned. This means they do not have to follow recall rules. If there is a safety recall there is no time limit. This costs GM more money. So what they do is offer a campaign. When offering a campaign they can put a time limit on how long the fix is available. In the case of this fuel line and gas tank problem its 8 years. I just made it.

Front end noise is very popular. They're well known for worn out sway bar end links, sway bar bushings and complete failure of the lower control arm bushings in the front suspension. No recall, can be done yourself for under $50 bucks (sway bar issue). You can get a whole control arm replacement for the bushing issue. I believe its around $100 in parts. Dealer fix is probably around $400 maybe more.

Re-circulation door actuator failure. A complete nightmare fix. $600 to $800 fix at the dealer as you have to remove the whole dash. I was fortunate and managed to do it with minimal dash removal. I was lucky, most people wouldn't have been able to do it. It's an absolute nightmare to replace. No recall, you're lucky if it happens under warranty. The part is about $30 if you buy it yourself. The cost is in the labor if you take it in.

Known for weak ignition switch for which there was a recall (the whole GM ignition switch scandal). Also, another problem with the ignition switch is it being stuck in the accessory position and draining the battery. The problem is the center console shift mechanism that tells the ignition switch not to activate "start" if the car is in gear but it allows the key to be stuck in "accessory" position. The key is stuck. I was lucky and got this covered under an old recall. It was not a cheap fix. They had to replace the entire center console and shifter including all the switches.

I have got more money paid out on recalls and campaigns than what I paid for the car. Also, there are other issues with electrical problems with these vehicles. But what I have listed are the major issues.

The early Saturn's were good cars. These later ones are junk. The later Saturn ION are Cobalt's with a little different styling and a Saturn badge. I never had a vehicle with the problems this one has had.
doc4bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #114
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4bax View Post
The later Saturn ION are Cobalt's with a little different styling and a Saturn badge. I never had a vehicle with the problems this one has had.
i'm not so sure. The drivetrain is identical, but the rest of the car is probably not. 06-07 ION has much WORSE reliability compared to Cobalt on TrueDelta, while the 03-04 ones are better and comparable to Corolla (except for the very small sample issues Michael mentioned above).
fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #115
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
i'm not so sure. The drivetrain is identical, but the rest of the car is probably not. 06-07 ION has much WORSE reliability compared to Cobalt on TrueDelta, while the 03-04 ones are better and comparable to Corolla (except for the very small sample issues Michael mentioned above).
True, Jacek_P.

Doc4bax:The "later" Saturn IONs were essentially the same as the original but shared the same improvements given to the Cobalt and Delta platform for 05. The Cobalt was an offshoot of the ION not the other way around.

Additionally the ION has a space frame like the S Series did. The 05 ION got a new grille and none of the body panels and dashboards interchange with the Cobalt. Hardly a "Cobalt with a little different styling".
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #116
mkaresh
Advanced Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the ION to include owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2007 ION: 77, moderate, small sample size
2006 ION: 97, moderate, small sample size
2004 ION: 14, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 51, low, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 12-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #117
mkaresh
Advanced Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the ION to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2007 ION: 36, low, small sample size
2006 ION: 74, moderate, very small sample size
2004 ION: 12, low, very small sample size
2003 ION: 47, low, very small sample size

Additional participants would certainly be helpful.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #118
bengrantham
bengrantham is on a distinguished road

im at 200K and i would still roadtrip it any day of the week..
bengrantham is offline   Reply With Quote