SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 09-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
jillmacp
jillmacp is on a distinguished road

Default So...I need some help.

I have owned my 08 Astra for 5 years now, I've had very little trouble with it. I think I'm burning through oil. I've usually been okay, but I've noticed that I've needed to add oil a little more often then usual. I had to put some in 5 days ago. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what happened to me yesterday. I'm driving on the highway doing 70mph. I have the cruise control on, the ac is on 1, and the radio was on softly (my baby was sleeping). I'm going up a slight incline and the cruise shuts off. I tried putting it back on and it wouldn't work. After a minute the red battery light and a little yellow car with a wrench turned on. Luckily the next exit was only two miles away. I shut the radio and the ac off, slowed down to 60mph and kept going to the exit. After a mile, the rpm gauge and the speedometer dropped to 0 and the radio screen read 0 as well. I made it to the gas station off the exit and shut the car off. My dad and I looked under the hood, couldn't see anything obvious, so he told me to turn it back on. It wouldn't start. No clicking, no nothing. But the windows would work, the radio worked and all the lights on the dash would work. Any ideas what's going on?
jillmacp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: So...I need some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmacp View Post
I have owned my 08 Astra for 5 years now,... I've needed to add oil a little more often then usual. I had to put some in 5 days ago... Any ideas what's going on?
Not without more information on what it looks like under the hood, battery voltage, oil level, oil used in a given mileage period, how much you put in 5 days ago, how low did it measure on the Dstick, miles since the oil and filter changed.

WElcome to the board.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

It might be helpful to get a code reader and see if there are any codes. The battery light typically indicates a low battery charge or an alternator problem. I know a few people on the forums have had problems with the ECM ignition fuse blowing (preventing a start), and others with corrosion on the main battery cables.

If it's a manual transmission, sometimes the clutch safety switch get's gunked up, but that's unlikely to be the problem here.

This thread, and the schematic that is posted might help. Check for voltage at the starter and work your way back to the battery. If you don't have voltage at the starter, then it's probably the 175A fuse on the cable going to the starter. Fuse 18 in the fuse box under the hood goes to the ECM. It's unlikely to be the 200A fuse under the hood, because lots of other stuff in the car wouldn't work (basically anything fed from the front fusebox).
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=fuse+battery
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

Last edited by emg77; 09-01-2015 at 06:18 PM.
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A red battery light while driving, regardless of whether the wrench light turned on or not usually means a power problem as system voltage dropped below 13 volts; battery (if original, its now 8 yrs old and may be worn out), loose/corroded battery cables, their connections including grounds (chassis and engine block), loose/missing drive belt, worn belt tensioner, and worn out alternator.

Average car battery life is around 5 years. If yours is original, its probably beyond its life expectancy. Most auto stores selling car batteries can test them.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

If the battery is the original equipment, more likely is out of juice. I got an ACDelco part number 91PS for $105 core included. The ACDelco 91PS is an OEM replacement battery. Don't forget to pull out the plastic cover that covers the red terminal from the old battery because will fit exactly the new one. With the new battery all my lights become more bright. I can feel the start cranking is little more powerful than before.
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I vote for your alternator took a dump. Is It the original?
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem. The car wouldn't start, I pushed started it and after 40 or so kilometers or dials died, the car started running rough, in other words the batter was dead and wasn't being charged. Took it to the mechanic and ordered a new alternator and starter. Turns out the wiring harness was the culprit (http://www.cheapestgmparts.com/oe-gm/55564284). There was a short somewhere and it killed both parts. It was an expensive repair unfortunately...
09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote